Posted: Mar 14th 2012 6:47PM SirUrza said

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for this but I love the Pathfinder campaign setting so much and I HOPE that they do the rules justice unlike DDO.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 9:21PM Hurlbut said

@SirUrza : they won't use the rules directly because the paper and pen ruleset will not fit a MMO video game. They are making their own rules but still paying homage to the original ruleset.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:27AM Regault said

@SirUrza
Actually, I found DDO to be faithful overall to the rules of 3rd edition. I personally think a major impetus for 4th was people playing DDO and being directly forced to deal with 3e's rules without "Let's start the campaign at 4th level", "Combat's over, we rest for 8 hours", and I don't know, whatever DM's did to make fighters useful . DDO took 3e and removed all the cushions of house rules people had built up.

My real issue with DDO was taking Eberron and turning it into Faerun with warforged. All the flavor of the setting was gone.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 7:20PM Zyrusticae said

I really like this kind of thinking.

Currently, most of the MMOs on market completely neglect the issue of timescale and the way it affects immersion. It's really immersion-breaking for an entire in-game 24 hours to pass in the span of two real-time hours, and I just don't understand why developers think that's acceptable. Similarly, being able to cross an entire so-called "continent" in the space of an hour or less is completely absurd - they may as well just be called small countries, at least then it's remotely believable. Same thing with "cities", which usually end up being small outposts or villages in-game.

So it's nice to see a developer seriously thinking about these issues and how to tackle them in a manner that aids immersion instead of taking away from it. Though I still don't know if they're going to successfully tackle the issue of cityscapes, this is at least a good halfway point.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 8:52PM (Unverified) said

For players of "old school" FFXI, getting from one end of a zone to another was often a long and daunting task riddled with risk and peril.
I MISS THOSE DAYS (Seriously. Yes, seriously.)
Additionally I miss slow combat text that you actually are capable of following.
Wave after wave of mobs have their place (like in ADD prone games like WoW, or Diablo 2), but I miss slow and steady combat where you had some time to strategically think about your next more instead of reactively slamming macros and downing 10 max level monsters at once.
Less mobs, higher quality drops, less monsters required for quest objectives. Yes please!

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 7:58PM bobasweat said

Everything I hear about this project I love.
Everything I hear about this project makes me think it will never see beta.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:37AM Plastic said

• 1 heart
Umm, so does this mean that people who exclusively play between certain hours will be perpetually in day/night? I stopped playing one MMO because I was trapped in perpetual darkness due to my available play hours lining up with the game's night cycle.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 7:51AM TitusGroan said

@Plastic

Read the blog post: "Players should not be forced to play in a constant state of day or night based on their local time."

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:09PM Kdapt said

@Plastic
i quote after having read the whole of the article "So there will be a day/night change every three real-time hours in the game. That means that days in Pathfinder Online will pass four times faster than real time—each in-game minute will pass in 15 real-time seconds."
three hours to a day four days in game to one day of real life seems simple dont it.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:37PM Maximum Proxy said

I hope this is similar to tabletop D&D. That's hard for an MMO, but it would be nice...