Posted: Mar 15th 2012 11:00AM DarkWalker said

@(Unverified)

The only reason I don't usually play the old Mario games is because I've played them so much, I got tired of them. I used to beat the first Mario once or twice before losing the first life :)

As for sales, according to Wikipedia:

For the Wii:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (25.47 million)
Super Mario Galaxy (10.4 million)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.36 million)

For the DS:
New Super Mario Bros. (26.88 million)
Super Mario 64 DS (9.65 million)

Both New Super Mario Bros games have surpassed every other Mario platformer in sales, except for the original Super Mario that came bundled with the NES. If sales is any indication, players seem to prefer the 2D games.

(The main Nintendo game lines are almost like printing money. Among the 2D Marios there are 8 games that surpassed 10 million copies sold, 4 of them surpassing 20 million copies, but this includes two games that were bundled with video game consoles; among the 3D Marios, there are 6 games with over 5 million copies sold each, though once again one was bundled; the best selling racing game of all time is Mario Kart Wii, with over 30 million copies sold, though the whole series has performed exceptionally well, with the worst selling one still beating 7 million copies; the two best selling fighting games of all time are the Wii and GC versions of Super Smash Bros, with 9 and 7 million copies sold respectively, and even the N64 version didn't do badly with 5 million copies sold; Pokemon is the unassailable leader among RPGs, with the worst selling ones still beating 6 million copies, and the best surpassing 20 million copies; and so on.)

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 9:44PM deejrandom said

@Ghostspeaker Should've read the comments before i posted :P

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:25PM Acesfury said

Your forgetting that Uncharted Waters Already has an Online MMO of it.

it's funny cause I spent years trying to design on thinking it was perfect but someone beat me to the punch.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:31AM (Unverified) said

No mention of NEStalgia? http://silkgames.com/nestalgia/ Free to play game with graphics and gameplay of NES dragon warriors or FF in a MMO setting.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:44AM Beau Hindman said

@(Unverified) Great find (this is how I find so many of the MMOs I do)... but is that an MMO or just multiplayer? The description calls it an MORPG. Meaning multiplayer?

Thanks!

Beau

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:34AM Flicktion said

I was going to say Pokemon, but F2P? No, just no. It would break my heart to see Pokemon for sale in the cash shop! A sight like that is one that would make me forsake the entire genre.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:41AM Flicktion said

@Flicktion

Although if it was strictly items like you'd see in the Pokemarts (balls, potions, evolution stones) I'd be all for it. I just wouldn't trust anyone but myself to develop the game. I would never ever forgive for ruining the Pokemon IP!

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge