Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:10AM werewood said

Really, EQ2 is doing so well now, that it reminds me of the statement we had when it came out way back - about not fixing something that is not broken. Back then we meant EQ is ok and that we didn't need EQ2. Now its the opposite. I think we don't need EQ2 F2P when they are making so much from EQ2. SOE never had a good business sense. Sorry.
Nevertheless, I honestly prefer EQ2 in the past 2 months, over WoW, TOR and the other F2P MMOs. I basically ended all other subs and am on a Silver account in EQ2, spending about 5-10$ a month on Station Cash. It was surprisingly good exp for me at least. The game has features you will not find in many other games, and content that can last for a long time. Moreover, even the themepark is with an "EQ" feel. Its not too simple at times. And you have a ton of solo content even in dungeons.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:12AM werewood said

Naturally I meant we dont need an EQ f2p ...

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:24AM hami83 said

@werewood I disagree, EQ is incredibly old and hardly warrants a monthly fee now. I mean this was a game that worked on dial-up, so how much does it cost to manage the game?
ESPECIALLY since Sony was asking for $15/month for the stupid thing. (This adds to your comment about Sonys bad business sense)

I think the more F2P the better, even if it's ridiculously old games.

Now if only EA would get its head out of its arse and make Warhammer and DAoC F2P.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:49AM akubura said

@hami83

Totally agree DAOC and Warhammer F2P would attract tons if done right.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 7:10PM henbot said

@hami83

the two pay to play servers are very popular.

I recently thought i'd check EQ out after being burnt by another EA/Bioware product miscarriage and i'll happily say I'm hooked.

Sure its clunky and showing it's age, but there something about EQ. It might have something to do with the mountain of challenging content that would take forever to consume. Or perhaps its the community that was and still is one of the most mature and accommodating out there.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 10:52AM Jenks said

I will probably log in and check out my old characters, but since EQ Mac went truly free to play, I'm having a blast there and don't see myself leaving.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 11:42AM pcgneurotic said

Are we getting our existing races and classes grandfathered in, a la EQ2's conversion? (he asked, hoping not to have to schlep through the FAQ).

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 1:17PM Joaquin Crowe said

I keep trying to recover my old account, but their damn system keeps sending me in a circle. Change password... try to log in... hey, you can't log in unless you change your password! wtf? lol

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 1:24PM Saker said

I didn't see anything about getting the game itself. How they're handling that? Download, torrent, through their "launcher"?

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 1:39PM avaloner said

Have they dumbed down EQ1 yet for the solo/console gaming crowd? Or do you have to get groupd for everything including leveling? I hope they kept the game hard, if they have not then I probably wont bother checking it out, to many other f2p MMOs I'v downloaded and not checked out yet.

And gratz on reaching 13 EQ, like UO your proof that good MMO's don't die.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 7:14PM henbot said

@avaloner

Mercenaries fixed that and i'm not sure how they'll work on the f2p servers, and the pay to play progression servers don't have them yet.

The game is still as challenging as you want it to be though.