Posted: Mar 14th 2012 6:41PM ScottishViking said

Whenever we played tabletop, there was always some aspiring virtuoso who had his "sweet spot" he would regularly shoot for: legs or head, usually. But after playing the game for years and years, I found that the odds almost always favored simply blowing the sh*t out of the torso. (The dice rolling was always in favor of the torso, certainly.) The only exception to this was the back armor, which was usually paper thin. A buddy of mine was a dedicated Locust pilot who racked up an impressive tally of kills by running full tilt around assault mechs and peppering their rear armor with machine guns and medium laser. Those are the only times I've ever seen BattleTech veterans quit a game in frustration.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:04AM mmogaddict said

@ScottishViking
Spiders were great for doing that with as well.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:36AM (Unverified) said

I usually went for cockpit/head shots in MW4. I was quite good at it, I'm curious if the timing will be similar in this.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 8:51AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, head shots in a video game seem way easier than what the board game probabilities would lead you to believe. In the board game, I would usually use a Clan Targeting Computer to first randomly go for a torso, then target the weakest torso section with massive baby weapons to score an ammo explosion for an instant kill/disable. In video games, I go for the legs since they're easy to hit and also instantly disable.

Thinking about it all, it leads me to believe that targeting technology in the video games are still far too advanced than the technology available in the board games. Now, if the video games had no crosshairs, and the direct fire weapons didn't always hit the same spot (so no taping crosshairs onto your monitor), that would seem more inline with game board tech.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:40PM Maximum Proxy said

What people don't know when I say Hawken will be better, is I also plan on playing Mechwarrior. The industry rarely makes a decent Mecha game. I think the last one was maybe Mechquest? I don't know. Looks fun enough.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 8:45PM CheesecakeBandit said

@Maximum Proxy sorry, no that wont cut it. mechwarrior fans have spent a long time separating mechwarrior from "Mecha", so until you stop comparing them, you will be downranked. IE, Hawken is a (vehicle,mech) shooter, Mechwarrior is a sim.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 3:13PM Maximum Proxy said

@CheesecakeBandit The wikipedia definition of "Mecha" is: A mech (plural: mecha or mechs), is a science fiction term for a large walking, usually bipedal, robot, including ones on treads and animal shapes. Are the vehicles in Mechwarrior large, walking, bipedal robots? Yes. By definition, they are Mecha. Not trying to provoke, just pointing out you got something wrong.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM