Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:17AM OneEyeRed said

Nope, not me. I been a bioware fan and customer since back when they were nobody's. The direction they have headed the last few years coupled with a marriage to EA has left me with no more interest for them. SW:TOR is a joke and it was in beta. ME3 I won't even touch as a huge fan of both 1 and 2. DA2 they ruined. This company has nothing left they sold out with age and went for golden nest. They do not produce the games they once did.

Let the flaming commence...

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:31AM avaloner said

@OneEyeRed It all went down hill when they started making their games console games then PC games rather then the other way around. DA was meant to be a PC only game way back when it was first anouced, and was meant to be a spirtial succesor to BG1 and 2. Guess EA demanded it be dumbed down for the console gamers just like every other game from AAA devs.

The ME games are a sad example of the progresive dumbing down of Bioware games. Anyway I sound like and old bitter PC gamer shouting the same crap thats been said for year so i'll go away now lament at the state of gaming and the steady reduction of the hobby I love to comercial TV levels of complexity:(

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 1:06PM Sorithal said

@OneEyeRed

Bioware's pretty much been diving into a syndrome similar to Blizzard. Aka the sell-out syndrome which seems to have come about when they were bought out by EA (and of course for Blizzard it's Activision). They abandon what made their past games great in order to try and get more players into it, which... is just silly.

Not to mention every Bioware game now has to have sex scenes in them thanks to Mass Effect 1. Not to say ME1 wasn't great, but... ME2 was suddenly dumbed down quite a bit, and the story wasn't really able to grab me and keep me playing it. I heard ME3 is even worse though as it caters more to the Shooter crowd, and its endings apparently are not very good (not to mention that they almost make you play multiplayer to get the better endings).

Dragon Age Origins made it look like they were going in the right direction again and going back to like, KotOR-type games, but... they kind of discarded that for the sake of Dragon Age 2.

Then with TOR, they basically made WoW in space with Mass Effect styled dialogue and such. Woohoo.

Hopefully they'll come to their senses and produce a real RPG again someday.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 2:09PM (Unverified) said

@Sorithal

I keep hearing that Bioware is on some sell-out decline, but I just personally disagree. I can't speak to their process or motivations, but I can say that in my opinion Dragon Age 2's story was much tighter and more focused than DA:O, and combat was significantly smoother. My only real problem with DA2 was the repeated zones, but (again, this is IMO) it is a fantastic RPG just with a different scope/style than DA:O, another fantastic RPG.

Can't speak to ME as I haven't played that, but loving SWTOR currently.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 2:22PM Chiren said

@OneEyeRed

Eh - I would flame but I kinda agree with you.

Game launching with separate DLC, or retail-specific weapons .... at this point ME3 is where I've decided to put my foot down.

Not saying I'll never buy it, but I'm going to wait until an "everything" version of the game is available. I've had enough of obnoxious attempts to monetize me.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 3:35PM JadoCast said

@OneEyeRed No flame here. Couldn't of said it better myself.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 4:05PM Stonycoot said

@OneEyeRed THIS

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 9:06PM digitalheadbutt said

@(Unverified)

Totally agree. I think the downfall of DA2 is entirely based upon the over used of environments. Bioware has done this in the past with almost all of their games but in DA2 it was really egregiously bad. I enjoyed the story and overall game play more than DA:O. The changes in game play mechanics were mostly aesthetic. I used the same tactics I learned from BG, IWD and DA:O, applied them to DA2 and was successful. I understand why people were disappointed by DA2 but not the level of hatred leveled at it.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:46PM Saerain said

@OneEyeRed Flaming? What you just said is highly fashionable.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 7:15AM wahahabuh said

@(Unverified) are you serious? As an apostate(? forgot the name, renegade mage thingie), I can flaunt my power in front of the templar(? also forgot their name) and they couldn't care less.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 2:22AM EchelonMT said

@avaloner

At some point people are going to have to start realizing that computer gaming makes up such a small portion of gamers now that it simply doesn't pay to go into development gearing it toward the PC platform. Once Xbox 360 became the obvious leader of the current generation platform pack and PC game sales went down the drain, there was little reason for big developers NOT to develop for console first and port over to PC.

The other thing people forget is that they are running a business and that wouldn't have changed if they had turned EA down or not. The gaming industry grew and so would their audience and in turn their need for profits. Maybe in the Steam digital store era PC gaming can pull itself out of the pits, but as of now it would be a completely idiotic move to start developing in a PC-first mentallity like people did back in the Baldur Gate/Neverwinter Nights days. You should feel lucky that they are giving us PC versions at all at this point.

The other point that should be made is that the games from 1-3 aren't that different. The combat has been streamlined to allow for more action, but the whole point of Mass Effect was to move the RPG genre in a more action and I quote "visceral" direction. That hasn't changed. The story is still in place and the story creators in BW's camp are still the best in the world. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too busy complaining about "the ending" or the "day 1 dlc" to realize that the game is very solid and it sales as many copies as it does for a reason.

I think the problem is that once people realize that all of the above is true then they can't use the easy "sell out" defense and they would have to actually form thoughts with logic instead.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:18AM Mendus said

I would prefer if they left mass effect alone in all honesty, unless they get someone else to develop the game, I personally would not want a repeat of the ultra linear and questionable mmo, swtor. Mass effect is a great game, but I have trouble seeing it transferred over to the mmo space (pun kinda intended) unless it adopts some new ideas and strays a bit further from the themepark formula and tries something new.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:19AM JadoCast said

A lot of money to be made so I'm thinking yes it is inevitable, but Bioware didn't help matters with ticking off the core ME3 hardcore fans. Many folks will be upset with making ME an MMO as many were upset with KOTOR becoming an MMO. We already read many complaints with just having the co-op multiplayer so you can predict many fans upset with an MMO. But if they make one, it will have to be a TPSMMO (third person shooter massively multiplayer online) game to keep the core gameplay mechanics in my opinion.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 12:39PM Seare said

@JadoCast

I was skeptical about the mult-player, but it's actually quite fun and addicting, I love ME3 so far. Just as good as the 1st two.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 5:46PM (Unverified) said

@Seare

You haven't finished it yet, have you? Come back when you do. :(

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:20AM Cylien said

JEF COME BACK TO ANVIL OF CROM!
I will keep nagging!

And on topic. I would definitely play a ME MMO. There needs to be an adult space mmo out there. SWTOR is just not it.

Bioware unrestrained by Lucasarts is a very appealing concept. :)

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:36AM avaloner said

@Cylien "Bioware unrestrained by Lucasarts and EA is a very appealing concept. :)"

Fixed it for you:P

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:22AM Temko said

I'm divided on this idea.

1 - Themepark would basicly be Single player where the story... is? part of hte greatest fun ins ME is that when you return to the citadel you hear an announcer go "X at Y was shot down, goverment no comments" and you're like. " ye baby ,that was me!".

I dont see that happening in an MMO.

2 - in the sandbox... now thats a difernet story and all i can really think of is "AWESOME". making the mass effect universe playable... i'd love that. especially as when you think of a sandbox you can think off:

i see a true way to make the mass effec universe come to life there... but again... it depends on the how a lot... the "ye baby, that was me, needs to be there... but not flooding it with X did Y on day Z, followed by X did Y on day A etc..

all in all... a Darkfall without Fail inthe mass effect universe... i'd be in love. hell. a EVE/DUST Combi would make my wetdreams true in a ME universe.

hell... just gimme the ME universe. i'm good.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 11:22AM Joaquin Crowe said

• 1 heart
After seeing the KARA mo-cap demo, Bioware is years behind the times with their cutscene technology. I don't see their stock animations making the cut for much longer.

Also, kinda hard to do a ME MMO with all the relays blown up.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 6:29PM Vgk said

@Joaquin Crowe It would probably be a prequel to the ME triology.

the ME universe is filled with rich history and a plethora of interesting events. (creation of the genophage, Rachni war, reapers wiping out Protheans, etc.)