Posted: Mar 13th 2012 3:13PM sygon said

• Half a heart
I wished this game would die already. Bilzzard is lazy sitting on their cash cow WoW, they make players wait 10 years for a game that should be completed YEARS ago with how huge their dev team is. If players were smart they would see this.

1st- Scrapping PVP for launch (no doubt it will be a paid DLC to get PVP)
2nd- Telling players to lower expectations of a game- HELL the expectations should be high for how long it takes them to make games.
3rd- Cash shop? Really? Do we really need to bring real life currency into games, they are sucking players dry, and we all know players arent big money makers.
4th- Activision/Blizzard... UGH, back when WC1, Diablo 1 &2.. Starcraft great games, now they just reskin their old model and charge full price for it. This company is a joke when it comes to development.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 3:30PM valdi313 said

• Half a heart
@sygon
I usually don't comment on rants like this, but I actually agree with everything he says.
Good points.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 5:25PM thud said

@sygon
1. Really? There is "no doubt" about it? it's a 100%, set in stone, developer confirmed, hard fact? Bull.

2& 3. meh.

4. Reskinning their old model? I thought all the complaining in the comment sections here was about how D3 has changed too much or has been "dumbed down" as y'all would translate it even though everyone is raving over Torchlight because it is in fact exactly this, a pretty 3D reskinning of D2.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 5:26PM SnarlingWolf said

• Half a heart
@sygon

I think Starcraft 2 was a huge sign of what they have become. I loved SC 1. I waited forever for a SC2. SC2 came out and it was literally SC1. They didn't improve anything except the graphics. The AI was a decade behind modern RTS movement and pathfinding AI. Everything about that game showed what company they are now.

Sadly a couple million people will go out and buy Diablo 3 so they will just keep getting away with it. Same with the people who buy CoD every year to play the same game they were already playing but at the cost of another 50-60 bucks.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 8:21PM Valerik Greymark said

• 1 heart
@SnarlingWolf I personally thought that SC2 was way better then SC1. I can't wait for Diablo 3 because certain things I don't like Diablo 2 look like they are getting fixed. I think people need to just take off there rose colored glasses and actually look a little. Enjoy games for what they are, and don't just hate on a developer because it's "cool" to hate on them.

I will proudly be one of those million that but Diablo 3.

(Note I also defend SW:ToR to the death. I am in no way a "fanboy" I'm just able to enjoy a good game when I see it.)

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 8:51PM henbot said

• Half a heart
@SnarlingWolf

"Sadly a couple million people will go out and buy Diablo 3 so they will just keep getting away with it"

Couldn't have summed it up better.

EA Suck

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 9:30AM kalipou134 said

@Valerik Greymark
Sry bub but you're definitly a fanboy for defender all those crappy games when the facts show the opposite of what you "believe".

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 3:30PM (Unverified) said

Greatest Massively quote ever,
"talk about Diablo III's PvP circumcision."

Mr. Olivetti I salute you

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 5:40PM (Unverified) said

@Lowangel

I would've thought castration was a better term. Sure, everything else functions (mostly), but for some people all the fun is now gone.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 6:33PM Space Cobra said

You know, Shawn had a pretty good microphone for his GDC coverage.

Nice to hear from him and the others covering GDC.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 4:44AM ArcherAvatar said

There certainly were a few (really good) rants in this episode. In light of the numerous (quite justified) complaints leveled at various MMOs and their developers, it certainly makes this particular article
look even more like sour grapes than it did when it was first written. At first I thought you were just complaining about complainers (some of whom I thought had legitimate issues with certain facets of games) but now it just looks like you have a problem with GW2 and it's fans (since you apparently no longer have any difficulties with vocalizing legitimate concerns about specific issues with a game)

I won't ever bring this up again, but I was so deeply disappointed with the dismissive attitude of that article, that it surprised me just a little bit to hear the apparent contrasting/contradictory attitude heard here on this episode.
Sometimes when folks complain about a specific facet of a game, or decisions of a developer it's not just "the internet" being negative again... sometimes those are legitimate complaints (like the ones expressed on this episode of the podcast)
And sometimes when folks are praising a game that has not yet been released it's not some "pie in the sky" wishful thinking, hoping for a "Miracle MMO" but simply acknowledgement of a game and developer who are making choices we approve of.

Nuff said.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 2:13PM Brianna Royce said

@ArcherAvatar You know, that's one of those articles that manages to create the impression that it's talking TO YOU and about YOUR secret wishful-thinking MMO, even when it's actually being really non-specific. I came away thinking he was grumping at sandbox fans again (and I got defensive about it, even). You came away thinking he was picking on GW2 fans. I think he was simply saying "quit having unreasonable expectations and you'll stop being disappointed," and in that, he's probably right. From a writing/comment-reading perspective, we're probably all a bit sick of the boom and bust hype cycle MMOs have been going through the last few years.

Nothing wrong with complaining when your reasonable expectations aren't met, though, as you said - or cheering when someone gets something right!

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 6:21PM Kordor said

For my taste this episode was too much of rant and whine. I wrote about what I thought about the Eve rant in another podcast and now I could basically expand it to other games as well. Especially the second part of the podcast seemed to be full of it.
Maybe I just can't get along with Bree's way of express herself as others seem to like it (and no offense here, everyone and everyone's taste is different) or maybe it's just too much of a contrast to what the podcast was before: Shawn and Justin "leading" the podcast while Rubi complemented it with her very "nice" (sometimes even too nice) way and somewhat sweet rants and now it almost seems like Justin has problems to get a chance to speak.
I am a very calm person, I have no problems with losing in games or be ganked. The only thing which actually makes me "angry" is listening to people whining or ranting (of course especially for reasons I don't agree with), whether in TS while playing WoW Arena or listening to a podcast. So for me personally it seems more and more that it might be the best choice to move on to different podcasts.
People might say "well, shut up and leave then!" but before I do that I wanted to let you know about this little different kind of feedback.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 8:31PM Serrenitei said

I kind of enjoy the rants from Bree -- but then, they echo my own opinions. Specifically with the cash shop in LOTRO, that totally makes it a deal breaker for me, despite my significant other's efforts to get me to play :-). More than that, I think she makes good, solid points from a design prespective AND a business perspective.

I dunno, this is my favorite gaming pod cast -- easily. Just my 2cents

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 9:20PM Vazzaroth said

Maaaaan, based on that title I thought you guys were going to talk about Guild Wars.

The awesome rants were a great substitute though. I like that our hosts aren't afraid to take a stand or a side in gaming issues. There has been a few times where I felt Justin or Bree haven't quite seen the whole story (Such as understanding where a developer might be coming from) but for the most part any rage is pretty justified.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014