Posted: Mar 12th 2012 10:20AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I tried playing LotRO but I barely made it into the dwarf's second zone before giving it up. The main issues I had were being pushed to the store for too many things, and the quest color coding on the map is so faint, it blended in with the map colors rendering it all but useless. I also found melee combat unsatisfying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the game. I want to give it another try. Maybe I should try a different race and eventually get used to the store and map.

I would welcome thoughts about the game from long time players. I'm a casual, questing player. I have no IRL friends in Middle Earth or raiding guild aspirations.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 11:02AM ScottishViking said

@(Unverified)

I'd give it another try. If you're casual PvE, it's the right game for you, especially if you're F2P. As for the Store: that may not be changeable, but I think you'll find it diminishes in importance the further you progress through the game. Early on, it seems very prominent, and I cannot deny that, but by the time you hit 20-30, you'll hit your stride.

What class were you playing? Try giving the Minstrel a go. I've had the most fun, in balance, with that class. It's very customizable, and allows both ranged and melee options.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:18PM OutThere said

@(Unverified)

If you check out the F2P forum over at LOTRO, you'll find lots of hints and tips. I'm not a F2P player (2 lifetime founder accounts, here), but I understand that if you subscribe for 1 month, you get all VIP goodies on characters you create during the one month. This may help. In one month of steady playing, especially using the leveling tips here, you can get pretty far up, if not all the way to 75. I'm no expert though, so check out the posting on the forum.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:19PM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
A tip to make the store less obtrusive is that when you get the alert icon notifying you that you've earned Turbine points, don't click it. I just leave that alert permanently there on the screen. I find it much less annoying than getting an alert, clicking the icon to see the window saying "You've got 10 points! Go spend them!" and then closing that window again to continue about my business. If you leave one notification icon, future notifications don't spawn additional icons and my mind quickly just got to where I ignored that one. It might as well not even be there.

As for the map, you can change the color coding. This sometimes helps in certain situations. Also, mousing over the name of the quest while the map is open causes its coloring on the map to highlight. That can be a huge help when quests are overlapping or there are multiple ring icons on the map.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 6:38PM Samael said

@(Unverified)

I played till 60, when it was still a sub game. Once it went F2P, the constant badgering of asking me to spend my points, I just could not take it anymore and I left the game completely. I ruined the game for me.

Now for the people that would say I am being elitist, well I had no problem with the new players. They were the best part of going F2P, but constantly badgering a Lifetime sub customer to spend points in the shop, when I am in the middle of doing things kind of ruins it for me.

But if you can put that aside, it is a really nice game. The combat gets a little repetitive, but its not bad at all. I would still be playing it, if they would stop with asking me to spend points every few mins I play.

Good Luck! and Have Fun!

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 11:20AM fdisk said

What's the best way to level? I've tried this game twice and each time I give up at the Lv. 30 mark because I get bored with all the repetitive quests and grinding.

The instance finder hasn't worked for me once at the lower levels so I can't just take a break from questing to go do an instance.

I really want to check out all the end game content and new locations; specially Rohan later this year, but I can't bring myself to start the game lately because I'm dreadding having to grind for another 50 levels or so.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 12:34PM TortoiseCan said

@fdisk

The easiest way to level up quickly is to just run skirmishes with rested experience - use destiny points to gain more when you run out. Also use any exp boost items (I have a pocket item that gives me 25% experience gain by purchasing rise of isengard, not sure if you can still get it or not)

I took a character from 31 to 40 in a pretty short amount of time doing this. You can gain a level in a few hours.. This strategy will pretty much take you to 75 VERY quickly. There's a huge disparity in leveling time between questing and running skirmishes, even if you know where the quest objectives are.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:23PM OutThere said

@fdisk

The Epic is the easiest way to level. Do the Epic, get some good gear rewards, and that will keep you going. There is only one or two places that the Epic won't get you past and over the level it is available at, around 30ish and around 40ish. Do the Fem armor cycle out of Aughaire in Angmar to get a very good set that will carry you through to Eregion. Do the Echad Candelleth in the Trollshaws quests to get over the hump. Get back on the Epic. Yes, you can skirmish, but that may get boring after awhile. In any event, hope this is helpful.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 12:22PM (Unverified) said

Still no way to turn of XP in LOTRO? Meh. I won't reactiavte until they add that. I don't see why Turbine won't add that when there are threads with hundreds of posts in their suggestion forum that have been asking for YEARS.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 12:35PM TortoiseCan said

@(Unverified)

I agree, they need to implement this in some form. I've asked for it myself. I hate outleveling whole zones. It's not the same going back at a higher level and plowing through everything

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 12:58PM Wurm said

My main character is level 46 and seems I have to plan legendary weapon now. But that seems to based on grind and luck and that I don't like. So I making a break from the game in hope that they improve the system

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:25PM aurickle said

@Wurm
The system as it is now is probably what we're going to have for quite a while. It's really just grind at this point. The luck aspect has been all but removed:

You can transmute one relic into another equal tier relic of your choice. So there's really nothing random about them anymore and you can have exactly the ones you want.

You can replace one legacy with another via scrolls from the store. This lets you have exactly the weapon you want.

As of today's update, a lot of the legendary perks like heritage runes are now bound to account rather than character.

That being said, I recommend not spending any TP on your LI until you've reached max level and gotten the LI you plan to keep. You can sink a lot of points into the various LI store items and that ends up being a huge waste if you're only going to be replacing the LI in a few levels.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:15PM DancingTaco said

I used to be a die hard Lotro fan up until last summer when the Isengard spectacle happened. I was in beta for that and just lost my taste for the game.

I follow it still here and sometimes on the Lotro forums, although I have not honestly been on there for a couple of months. With the news about update 6 and the new area I decided to just start over again and try to fall back in love with the game. It lasted 2 hours and I just could not bring myself to play anymore. I have since gone out and tried other games and I have to say that I am enjoying myself way to much to go back.

I think for me, the store ruined the game. Turbine implemented it well enough, but that combined with so many grinds, then a level cap increase just resets the grind to such an absurd level that I would rather watch paint peel than level. The new zones are way too similar with very little thought. Its just hub after hub with the same quests, just change X(item) and maybe the total count of things to kill. The "story" is not as engaging as it was. I don't know, I just totally fell out of love with this beautiful game which is a shame.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:31PM OutThere said

@DancingTaco

Yes, me, too. I just can't seem to get my mojo going for this game any more. I'm going to try one more time with U6, but if I don't feel that old hum, I may just hang up my hobbit feet for good.

I don't think we're the only ones, either. I noticed on the forums that the class dev diaries on RK and Warden garnered less than 50 comments a piece, which I find utterly astounding. Only 30 people commented on the changes to Wardens? Really? Other forum posts have been stale, repetitive and lacking in-depth knowledge of the game. This all indicates to me that the long-time players, who really knew and understood their classes and could talk in detail about the implications of changes, have left the game.

This obviously isn't the end of LOTRO, it will keep going for years. But the enthusiasm and commitment to the game that was evidenced in the forums for so many years is definitely gone. The game is poorer for it.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 2:35PM Stanimir said

@DancingTaco I'm with you. Its actually one of the more sad experiences I've had in MMO gaming. Usually its either I like it or I dont, but I actually want to like this new LOTRO as much as SoA and MoM but I just cant. Its so bland, so unoriginally designed. Sad.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 11:07PM vtravi said

@DancingTaco
You summed up my experience exactly. I loved Shadows of Angmar, it is my all time favorite game. MoM was good, but everything since they went f2p is just awful. I feel I will never love a game as much as SoA which makes me sad.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 8:16AM DancingTaco said

@Stanimir

I know you from the forums, or least recognize your name. Anyway it is one of the more tragic things to happen for me in a game. The way I loved Lotro when it came out probably is the only reason I stuck around as long as I did, putting up with as much as I did. It was like a bad romance.

Still, even now as they announce a cool new feature I smile and think, wow that is pretty cool and then when they actually put out a dev diary on it and the store is somehow the major tie-in, it ruins it for me. The open-world skirmish soldier feature being the latest in a string of good ideas ruined by the cash shop. It truly is a shame and what more I know that this might be the only LOTR MMO we ever get.

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 9:51AM Nerves said

@DancingTaco

I'm with you there. I log in to the game maybe once a month or so, just to do a skirmish or repeatable to see if any spark is there. Nope. I've got 3 characters sitting at 75, and another 2 at 65. I fully intend on buying Update 6 content and playing through it on at least one of my characters.

The biggest reason I left in the first place was how badly they handled ROI and the warden class (my main). They changed the mitigation all around to get rid of the 'melee/ranged/tact defense' stat, and screwed over wardens in the process. Instead, they skirt around the main issue that they cocked up the class bad, and is fundamentally flawed under the new numbers. It really only affected raiders, but it's more the principle of it - not admitting and fixing their mistake.

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:18PM DancingTaco said

Oh and the voice on that trailer is awful...

Posted: Mar 12th 2012 1:45PM Space Cobra said

@DancingTaco

Don't be hating on Phil Lamarr!

(At least, it sounds like him!)