Posted: Mar 10th 2012 7:15PM (Unverified) said

Interesting. If I play again during the 2.0 free trial, I think I'd reroll starting in Gridania as my starter city. It sounds like I'd appreciate doing quests for that city more than the others. Plus a forest environment would appeal more to my aesthetics.

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 10:09PM MMOaddict said

Funny, I just restarted a new character yesterday in, you guessed it, Gridania. All I know is, at level 7 marauder...I am very jealous of those people running past me on Gobbues and Chocobos. It's a very long walk in the woods to get xp hehe. Still, the atmosphere makes up for it.

It's funny, too, the mobs in FFXIV don't "scare" me but the NPC's you interact with....those people are spooky. Might be due to lack of voice overs and their odd masks, I don't know.

Posted: Mar 11th 2012 1:07AM AstralEcho said

@MMOaddict

The Black Shroud can be a pain to navigate, but the ambiance is second-to-none. Everyone else can take their Ul'dah and shove it, give me a peaceful night of murdering galagos under the canopy!

Great article Eliot, there's an interesting bit of info about Kan-E-Senna that comes out of the White Mage quests which I think you'd like, too!

Posted: Mar 11th 2012 1:17AM Arcline said

@AstralEcho

I'm based in Gridania too, but man. Have you ever been to Coerthas? I LOVE that place. Some of the best bgm for fields too.

Posted: Mar 11th 2012 5:45AM Scratches said

@Arcline
Agreed. I love Coerthas's music. There were a few nights where I even left my character out in an aetheryte camp, turned off the monitor, and fell asleep to the music... and with the intermittent rain... /heaven lol

As much as I like pirates though, I still like Gridania more (my character was also based in Gridania, as well), because, well, there are moogles in the Black Shroud... lol

Posted: Mar 11th 2012 5:47AM Scratches said

Excellent article, Eliot. Reading stuff like this makes me want to jump back in to XIV so bad.
I'm trying to hold out for v.2.0, and you're not making it easy, lol.

Posted: Mar 14th 2012 12:50PM (Unverified) said

It's funny, I like Gridania, and I started there, but since restarting my game I have gravitated towards Limsa Lominsa, and am now a proud member of the Maelstrom.

If you told me in the beta that I would prefer joining Limsa, I would have laughed. But now I like their pro-adventurer stance so much that I basically emigrated there.

Also I really like Cassopeia Hollow, it's pretty. And it's easier to mine in La Noscea than in the Shroud or Thanalan.