Posted: Mar 9th 2012 8:00PM Archintyeron said

@TortoiseCan
You're mistaking the meaning of 'Turn-based'. On turn-based games, a player need to wait another player finish his actions to start playing. Most MMORTSes have timers to your actions finish, but in no way a player needs to wait another player's actions to do your own.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:48PM TortoiseCan said

@Archintyeron
Well, yeah.. But I think Turn Based is a better description for these games than 'Real Time'. When you build structures or whatnot and place them on a long timer, that's more in line with taking a turn than being real-time.

I guess you can argue either point as there doesn't seem to be a very accurate term thrown around right now for these types of games - but RTS has always been a term used to describe games like command and conquer, total annihilation, warcraft 1/2/3, starcraft 1/2, etc.. which all have a very active and real-time gameplay mechanics.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:54PM cray said

Would love to see a game like Supreme Commander or Starcraft turned into a MMORTS. Of course for this to work, everything from resource gathering to building units and structures would have to be drastically slowed so that there isn't a snowball effect that makes the world so one sided in terms of winning at losing.

One of the more clever ways of implementing a large scale PvP is how GW2's WvW is done. Having 3 different servers battle each other certainly balances things out. There's a lot RTS strategies in terms of resource gathering and building units (siege units). I would love to see a popular RTS franchise set up a 3 server battle. It would revolutionize MMORTS and RTS markets.

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 12:32PM Sean D said

The issue I can't seem to get over with these games is the time limits to building. I find that I can play for maybe two hours before build and upgrade times start to approach the one hour mark. I log off and try to remember to log back in the next day to input my orders. There is a large amount of time lost in between when nothing is being done. Money and resources still accumulate, but only to a limit, and I feel like I'm not really doing anything.

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 5:37PM AltarofScience said

@Sean D
If you played more it would only upset even more when you you got hit hard and lost something. MMORTS games have a playing time cap on them for a reason, so people don't shit a brick cause they lose a big asset.
Plenty of people in this very thread have complained about having to ever once lose anything valuable. And they control the market. So the rest of us get stuck playing by their rules.
I despise the term carebear but some people in this thread cannot be considered anything else.

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 5:44PM Beau Hindman said

@AltarofScience Well, to be fair, more often than not an MMORTS does not have a time limit on the server. There are quite a few, but most just continue on forever like any MMO.

Beau

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 2:47PM Yog said

To each his own, but at least it didn't take you 20 minutes to read my post.