Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:45PM TheColonel said

I've got to hand it to them, that's a lot more than I thought they'd get. If WoW was unaffected by SWTOR (as they claimed in their last quarterly results) then that means there's potentially a whole load more new MMO gamers out there, which can't be a bad thing.
Personally I didn't enjoy it enough to take up the monthly sub, but I wish them well.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:47PM (Unverified) said

Im having fun leveling new characters. Every time I get one to 50, I lose all motivation to do much else.

As long as there are other classes to play, I'm there! Once they all get to 50, I hope maybe then there is some end game.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:48PM Greyhame said

Good to see it's doing well so far. I know I'm enjoying it (and would be playing it more if Mass Effect 3 had not temporarily grabbed my interest) and it's nice to see that it's doing well.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:50PM MrGrimord said

1.7 millions with or without asian/australia launch ?

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:54PM (Unverified) said

@MrGrimord Without. That's one of the reasons the article says the number will likely exceed 2 million by late June.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:55PM Cyclone Jack said

Not too shabby. I had guessed 2 mil a few months back, but 1.7 is still an impressive feat. Still need to give it a few months before we see what the real retention is (6 mos from launch), how steady new content is released and how their bug fixing goes. Still, not bad.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:59PM Utakata said

@Cyclone Jack

I agree.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:13PM (Unverified) said

Wake me up when it is transformed into a f2p sandbox. /truth

Because my personal preference is the most important thing in the world and everyone else really really cares and no game is good enough unless it caters to my tastes. /sarcasm

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:14PM DarkWalker said

I would add two things:

- Impressive retention. Seems like TOR managed over 50% of player retention, though it's still somewhat early to say.

- Seems like it's sales performance is mirroring blockbuster titles. If the "vast majority" of players are currently recurring subscribers, it also means just a small minority purchased the game in the last 30 days. Might present a challenge for increasing the player base.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:18PM Traptz said

• Half a heart
The sold over 4 million..that's half of it's customer base no subbed anymore. Pretty sad.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:19PM Maseno said

@Traptz

Just curious where you got the 4 million copies sold info at?

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:23PM Space Cobra said

@Maseno

Have never seen that number either, but maybe this is like those non-existent TV commercials that were shown before the game's launch that he claims to have seen.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 5:19PM Utakata said

@Space Cobra

Maybe those other 2.3 million other copies they sold to where straw men.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:20PM AnotherPint said

Well I hope there really are still a lot of players on because the two servers i play on have been dead this week. Two weeks ago the servers had the most players i had seen in every zone i went to now this week the least amount.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:25PM Wic said

• 1 heart
Stable at 1.7 million? Er NO ITS NOT its stable once it plateaus and settles after a year or 2. Atm its as stable as an athletes knee jerk.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:37PM (Unverified) said

@Wic /facepalm

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:45PM Space Cobra said

This is a bit off-topic:

You know, I don't think much has changed since the "dawn of the commercially-popular MMO".

While there is a good counter-debate that could point out "numerous MMO options", consider that 100K is and has been a good number for subs signifigantly after EQ and even now. Of course, in some cases a bit more or even a bit less can be healthy, depending on the Studio's resources.

I say this with my caveat: I've never trusted WoW's numbers of 11-12 million and while some defend it, I still think there is some "funky math" going on there, especially in the Asian region. Mind you, I still think they are the "big dog" and as a company, it's hard to dismiss multiple subs from one household because, Money=Money, wherever it comes from: If someone wants to pay three times the amount of a monthly sub than I do, that's their decision, but that, among others, gets added to the tally.

Consider, RIFT has about a million or so subs steadily going on: Not sure how their launch month looked. WAR touted 1 million Beta sign-ups (as has GW2) but that's just "flash-in-the-pan" interest that settles out over time to a more even/average of players as people stay/leave the game, especially after a first month from launch.

So, I offer a theory that 1 million, give or take some percentage points/decimals, is a great number and is great if it sustains it over the long run. I mean, we have yet to see 12 million players get interested and sign-up for a launch all at once (although early adopters are only one subset of gamers really). While there is a chance to see an MMO hitting 3 million, I think this is close to the top. Someone pointed out in another comments section (but I haven't verified the fact) that GW1 sold 6 million copies..."_over_the_lifetime_of_the_game_so_far_". So, that' is after years of being out. It doesn't quite match WoW's supposed 12 million, but I think that the 6 million over lifetime is a more natural number, especially among the subset of MMO fans. I should note while GW1 is free, it most likely does not have all 6 million players playing it nightly; I don't know how many are playing it.

Just trying to figure it out and put some perspective on these types of numbers. Given other MMOs/examples, this theory seems to fit unless someone wants to comment as to why it may not.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 4:36PM Lenn said

@Space Cobra Guild Wars had three campaigns plus an expansion: four boxes in total. That 6 million needs to be divided by 3 (since the expansion is worthless without at least one of the campaigns), which would bring the number to a maximum of 2 million players. Which is still very respectable, I might add.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 4:01PM tenfootgoatman said

I'm not much of a fan of ToR but just to point out its in its third month and WoW had a similar amount of players in its 3rd month so in some repects its actually doing as well as WoW did if not better . These are different times though there are more games to play now people havn't just got broadband for the first time so I'm not suggesting it will continue to grow at the rate WoW did . I would think the numbers may grow though once servers are opened up in russia , south america and asia . Well done to Bioware while its not the game for me ( playing Rift at the moment ) I wish them well and this is proof possative that WoW will one day no longer dominate the mmo market and thats a good thing .

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 4:14PM jimr9999us said

Let's see...1.7mil Western subs within 3 months makes TOR the strongest mmog launch ever.

This is great news for fans of the subscriber based model. No, sorry Beau, but the AAA model does not appear to be dead yet.

So to summarize: WoW at 4-5mil Western subs, TOR at 1.7m, Aion at 400k, Rift at 250k.

Congrats Bioware/EA. If you throw enough money at a great IP, it'll stick. The lesson for other dev's is simple: if you want to play the AAA mmog game, bring an IP or dev at your own risk.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014