Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:12AM Unshra said

I wish CCP the best of luck to them as they near release, the challenge is getting those BF and CoD players to want to play D5. Saying that it affects a game they may or may not play is not enough. You can say how much I (in vernal not personally) affect the world but if I don't see it as a gamer then it means jack. That's the problem I see with D5 is the while those in EVE might feel the actions of the players of D5 it doesn't mean that players of D5 will notice those changes in the game they play outside of "you've won" after a match.

So in the end even if it is tied in with EVE the majority of the console players are going to be playing it because it's an FPS and if it does not stack up with the big dogs they will leave. So hopefully DUST can truly deliver the experience they are looking for.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:57AM Ebaon said

@Unshra

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that before. I was trying to spitball a few ideas out and the only one I can really latch on to this early in the morning is seeing the battle lines being draw, so to speak. If you've taken a planet last week and you're hired to take that planet again, you could get a pretty good glimpse into the inner workings of the political sphere, but otherwise, I guess that's about it.

I guess the market is sort of an indicator, but even in EVE, the things that really show you how the world is changing is generally territorial. In EVE, that works because you can fly anywhere and notice the difference, but in Dust, you're not able to notice that kind of thing. I guess we'll have to see. I'm looking forward to it, either way.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:46AM Unshra said

@Unshra I should never post a comment when I'm tired and still getting over a cold. 0.o Way to many typos to start but at least the general idea is there.

@Ebaon Agreed, I like the the concept and hope it does well enough that it gains a following even if it's only a cult following (which one could say is what EVE has anyways.)

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:23AM MrSquiggles said

Planetside 2 is what Dust 514 should have been. /discuss ;)

No but really, I think comparisons are going to be inevitable. Both look pretty decent so far, but as someone who owns a PC and not a PS3, Planetside 2 is probably where I'd drift to first.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:28AM Jokkl said

@MrSquiggles Yeah... at least we can play PS2. I hope that someday there will be a good mmofps out there. Maybe its one of those two... maybe not.

I will stick with the CoD-Instantaction for the time being.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:38AM (Unverified) said

@MrSquiggles

Although I much prefer the setting of Dust to PS2, PS2 does appear to be the better game with more to offer at this time imo. Plus after playing EvE for several years I don't have much faith in CCP's execution. CCP does get some really great ideas, but their implementation of those ideas have been rather disappointing.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:46AM Braiks said

@MrSquiggles I don't know. I like Dust more in every way presentable.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:24AM Jokkl said

Its sad that its PS3 only. I hate M$ for not being opener to let something like this happen on Xbox. I can understand why they are going for the PS3... it just makes me sad not being a part of it. Would have loved to play this game. Maybe its time to get a PS3... but only for a handfull of exclusivetitels its not worth the money to me. I am not into bluerays and I dont like the PS-Pad. Biggest problem I have with the PS3.

Wish all PS3 users fun with this game...

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:39AM LeBouc said

I see your point, but I think Dust 514 has 2 other major selling points that games like BF3 and CoD doesn't have and can't compete with:

1. RPG elements such as: stats, levelling up, guns/vehicle fittings, customisation etc. Witness the popularity of Outlands which is otherwise a run-of-the-mill FPS (purtty graphics though :P)

2. Persistence of the game-world/maps - in the sense that your actions/your team's action in Dust will have more impact than just "lol I keeled j00, let's do it again!"

Either, ridiculously excited about this game :) Don't have a PS3 but been thinking of getting one, and I think Dust is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:37AM Resurge said

@LeBouc Outands is a psn/xbl platformer ..did you mean Borderlands ..cause that's one of my favorite games ever and sounds more like what you are describing.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:18AM LeBouc said

@Resurge

yes my bad, borderlands is what i meant

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 9:59AM MMOaddict said

So glad I'm a PS3 fan. Can't wait to hop into this aspect of Eve. Always loved the atmosphere, lore and style just never liked the tactical/logistical aspect of Eve to get into it. Being as I play MW3 daily, this will be a welcome addition to my PS3 library.

Posted: Mar 10th 2012 6:29AM Artificial said

@MMOaddict I come from the opposite direction -- I love EVE but I have zero interest in playing an FPS. I am intrigued by the idea of how this will all work together, though. Does it tie into factional warfare? Does it tie into planetary industry? Will it effect system sovereignty, or just planets, or just regions of planets? What incentives do I have to spend my ISK on a bunch of ground-pounders; what exactly are they doing for me when I hire them other than running around shooting other people -- what does this accomplish for me as a CEO or planetary industrialist or such? If done right, I may essentially become rather involved with this game without ever playing it, which is kinda neat when you think about it...

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:16AM madcartoonist said

I am curious to see if this does cause people to start playing the main game. Will having fun in a FPS make you curious enough to try the other out or are they just two different to share audiences? At any rate I like this concept of two separate games having effects on each other.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:38AM ScottishViking said

This is a good trailer, and though I won't be playing DUST, I have to say that the visuals and the gameplay look really good.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:43AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I really feel like CCP is shooting themselves in the foot by trying to produce a console MMO for Playstation only. First of all the PS3 is the worst selling current-gen console out of the mix in the US, so that limits their player-base greatly right there. And since it's an MMO rather than a normal console game they're not going to get as many players to buy it if it runs a subscription model or something similar to this simply due to the associated price.

The only way I can see this doing well is if they open it up to the PC market.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:49AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) This is both new and interesting... /s
First of all, they already said why they are bringing it to PS3 and not Xbox (Wii wouldn't be able to handle it anyway). Secondly, they already said it's gonna be f2p and you will be able to download it for free from PSN.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:59AM Jokkl said

@(Unverified) you should at least read something about stuff that you try to bash.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:52AM Baby Choo Choo said

I'm soooo excited and I just can't hiiiiide it, I'm about to lose control I think I liiike it!

lol, well, frame rate looks a bit more janky than I would have liked, but plenty of games have appeared that way months before release so no sweat off my back.

If I have one wish, it's that this game doesn't come out the same week and/or month as Lollipop Chainsaw and Anarchy Reigns. When those games come out, I already plan on locking myself inside my room for the foreseeable future, but if 514 comes out then as well...well, I'll see you all next year lol.

Seriously though, I can't wait for this game.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 11:46AM Vandal said

It will be interesting to see how those BF, CoD and Halo players react the first time EVE players start backstabbing them. Will the console players consider it part of the experience or will they wonder why they're allowing PC gamers to ruin their FPS game? We all what kind of opinions console player have regarding PC gamers and visa versa.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM