Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:06PM (Unverified) said

It would have been better for them to just make them free below level 50 or have a 'free time' and had you purchase extra time. It is monotonous enough to get through the lower levels as it is.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:17PM Softserve said

Turned out to be more a novelty than I was expecting, which is kind of a disappointment. But given how many people seemed to be bothered by this concept, maybe that's the compromise.

Supposedly its cost in the Skirmish camp is based on your level. At 75 it seems like a decent amount of marks and medallions, but honestly I don't really care... That doesn't take as long to get as it might seem and with no content or anything being designed around this concept how much will it even matter? SWTOR has the benefit of this being part of its core design, LOTRO doesn't.

I have no immediate need for it and I doubt I ever will. It's never going to replace a person and that much was clear from its announcement. More interested in every other aspect of this update, personally.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:20PM shirtntie said

Its a stupid idea. I have no idea why they are trying to implement it if the final result is something that takes a lot of work and design to complete and looks half ass.

For the labor involved in dealing with one, the price is to high.
(barriers like the cost to purchase one, the time limit, the inability to have it out in high population areas, no personal trait buff and last but not least...the fact that skirmish soldiers are the dumbest NPCs to ever exists in a game as companions).

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 10:10PM OutThere said

@shirtntie

This is clearly a prep for something bigger coming down the road. Doubtful they would have spent all this development time on such an expensive store item. This shouts out long-term development with a big pay off at the end. We just don't know what it is yet.

Big disappointment, though. Turbine really knows how to jerk the rug out from underneath its players.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 3:56PM ShivanSwordsman said

@Softserve

True, though this could be genius if they put in a system later where you can get Free Peoples to fight for you, kind of like SWTOR Companions. I loved Companions in SWTOR, just like I loved Heroes/Hirelings in Guild Wars. This could have been an olive branch over the wallet deal... just another gimmick to get money out of it's player base. If only they'd LEARN from other companies, rather than trying to leech profits off half-stolen ideas...

Still, maybe they'll get their head out their butt, and either make it purchasable in-game, or in the store to have no cost deployment. That's all we can hope for at this rate, I know I would have put my old armor back on for this update... my expectations with Turbine are low since the Barter Wallet debacle, though.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:50PM Joaquin Crowe said

That went front pretty awesome to "meh" pretty quick for me.

Oh well. :(

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:13PM Ehra said

I was expecting there to be a limit on how long/often we could use the soldiers in the landscape. Disappointed to see that the limit is time spent grinding skirmishes or money spent.

If it were an ability we could buy with marks/TP then that'd be one thing. The fact that they're consumables means I'm never going to use them, since I "might need them later."

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:23PM TortoiseCan said

I was disappointed when I first heard that they required a rental - fee . I was initially under the impression that they were going to be strictly for the new zone, which was being scaled in difficulty to accommodate them however now they're more or less just a short term buff. I actually don't mind the idea of it to be honest.. I think how they're set up now will have a very minimal impact on the game, yet give solo players enough to get them over that hump for harder quests.

Either way , there's a lot in this patch that I'm happy about for down the road,.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:42PM Graill440 said

Ever since i saw this phrase "soldiers on landscape" it has screamed, outsourcing. *Chuckle*

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 9:28PM ScottishViking said

This is garbage. A 1-hour token? Come on. Another cash grab for the store, no doubt.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 10:58PM Tovrin said

@ScottishViking That was my first thought after I header about the limit. Originally I thought it was a clever and a little more innovative way of speeding people through the lower level content (rather than the ham-fisted increasing xp rewards). Now it's shown up to be a 'not even veiled attempt' at a cash grab. I'm bitterly disappointed with Turbine.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 8:10AM Deadalon said

I think all can see that the lands of Middle earth are now just about the investors. Extra bucks instead of a true gameplay features are popping up all over.

Sad to see a great story like LOTRO go down like this.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:24PM delphinius81 said

Turbine has become really good at taking concepts that work really well in other MMOs and turning them into half-baked, money grabbing versions. From alternate advancement through the LI system, an instance finder that apparently doesn't get used, and now companion characters that are more costly than a real-world bounty hunter.

Other than to experience the lore of Middle-Earth, what is it about this game that keeps people playing at this point?

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014