Posted: Mar 8th 2012 1:13PM EvilCartographer said

Dominion is the only reason that I kept at League of Legends. I had never played Dota before and hadn't even heard of the moba/arts genre until after watching a handful of Dota2 tourney's. The idea of the game sounded fun, I liked League's art direction and the champ selection, and I had just decided to call it quits with TF2 so I was looking for a new game to call home.

After a few rounds on Summoner's Rift, it was pretty clear that League was not the game for me. With two kids and a full time job, I just don't have time for a game that requires a 45 minute investment (on average) per match. Add in the already-established meta of Summoner's Rift and the (by and large) tremendously awful player base, and I was ready to uninstall after about a week.

Then the Dominion beta went live.

20 minute games instead of 45 minutes. No meta that you had to obey or else. Almost no ragers or trolls. No 20 minutes of PvE last hitting. No matches that were lost in the first 15 minutes but continued on for another 30 just cause.

And AD Sion was a viable pick!

Since then, Dominion has been the only flavor of League that I have played (along with some SR co-op). It is the only reason that I broke down and invested some actual money into the game. The mode is far better balanced than most SR trolls would like to admit. Virtually all champs are viable (including some who are considered troll picks on SR). It's just a better experience, in my opinion.

That said, it looks like I will still be abandoning League in search of another game. Riot has yet to comment in any of the dozens of threads about the addition of rank and we get no indication of any future changes or balance tweaks. In fact, there is little to no indication that Riot is even interested in Dominion at this point. It's pretty disappointing.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 1:19PM EvilCartographer said

@EvilCartographer

PS: Regardless of my previous comment, this is an excellent article, btw.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 1:51AM Patrick Mackey said

@EvilCartographer
I hope you don't leave. The only way Dominion will get official support is if you play. We've already had a number of balance changes that ARE Dominion-focused (Priscilla's, Yorick/Karthus nerf, Kassadin nerf, Rammus nerfs, etc.) so they aren't completely ignoring us.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 8:01PM jedimario said

@EvilCartographer

Riot did say when Dominion first launched that they would wait a while before releasing Ranked. I would say it has been a while, so not sure if they have changed their mind or not. My guess is that it will happen fairly soon.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 1:25PM Maseno said

4 top 1 bot is the meta game. I have had matches where we lost maybe 10 points using that method.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 9:54PM (Unverified) said

@Maseno

It's "a" metagame, not "the" metagame.

Yes, everyone does it, but that's only because it relies on a merely basic understanding of the gametype and keeps the strategic team organization to a minimum, sort of universally recognized level.

Note, this is not how the SR metagame works, and it will not be this way for Dominion forever.

There are a lot of really interesting potential Dominion team composition and distribution strategies that I like, and people have talked about extensively, but rarely ever see the light of day in solo-queue, as the drooling masses will proclaim "4 TOP 1 BOT" and never look back.

I look forward to when I get 4 good friends together to play Dominion in a premade, and we can actually try some of these possible strategies... especially the ones that make a team pay hard for following the 4T1B meta.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 1:44PM (Unverified) said

i used to play alot of summoners rift....then dominion was patched in...

now its the only map i play..... better community.....
and its not a slowpaced methodical 40 minute grind of boredom before the action kicks in...

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 2:05PM Vundal said

the only thing i dont like about dominion is how strong certain champions' play kits are on the map. Rammus for example is God tier on the map. same could be said for shen or panthion if used correctly.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 9:58PM (Unverified) said

@Vundal

Totally agree, some champions seem just stupidly good in Dominion, and can turn the game into a one-sided stompfest when played well.

Rammus, Poppy, Talon, Kassadin, Cassiopeia, Riven, LeBlanc, Ezreal, and Ziggs come to mind.

Hopefully more people start playing Draft pick for Dominion someday, so that we can start banning likely picks without having to wait through a 15-minute (or 3 hour, if you watch the Dominion High ELO streams) queue times.

I want Ranked Dominion so bad. ;_;

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 1:57AM Patrick Mackey said

@(Unverified) I don't think Riven, LB, or Ezreal are anywhere near as good as the other characters you listed.

Of all the characters in Dom, I feel the only real problems are Rammus, Kassadin, Cassiopeia, and possibly Ziggs. Everyone else is more or less okay. Having 30+ strong characters is fine, having 3 or 4 super dominant ones is not.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 12:46AM Chowley said

Great guide. Really good stuff, i could staple this to the face of 60% of dominion players :p.

Anyway great article, keep up the good work. I love Dominion its the only reason I still play LOL. But I do wish it had a larger player base, hopefully exposure like this will increase the respect it receives from SR players (who just do not understand the depth of the game mode).

Posted: Mar 13th 2012 10:58AM epilepticemu said

Talking about backdooring is NSFW, but you can go on and on about how much you love a dominant bottom? You were getting me all worked up!