Posted: Mar 8th 2012 4:50PM Mikx said

#5 is the most important one, even when you're talking about aesthetics. Fancy a jacket in the cash shop? You could buy it, but honestly, you like this other coat better, so save your money.

I don't know how many people think like that, but If many do, there is going to be a ceiling on the amount of money you cathen wring from players with appearance items.

And why is that robot molesting that girl in the image?

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:11PM Daeths said

@Mikx I think thats a geeky scientist that created a love bot

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 4:53PM aurickle said

Regarding item 10 in your list, LotRO is both one of the best and worst offenders with this.

On the one hand they have the lockboxes. That's not too bad because both boxes and keys drop off mobs. If I get the key before a box, I put it in the bank to use whenever a box drops. If I get the box before the key, I put it in the bank until either a key drops or I outlevel the box. If I do outlevel one, I put it up for auction and make a little gold off it.

On the other hand, they have the treasure hunt event that periodically crops up. This is really no different from lockboxes. It just has treasure troves and pickaxes in lieu of boxes and keys. Turbine charges something like 100 points for a single pick, which is outrageous. Don't do it! Instead, take advantage of the quests that repeat every 15 minutes to get four free picks. To make matters worse, the barter tokens you get from most treasure troves can be turned in for various items -- but most (if not all) of those items are also randomly gotten from the treasure troves! So save your tokens and only use them at the end of an event when you've done all the treasure hunting you care to do. There's nothing worse than bartering for an item only to get three more of the same thing for free over the next few hours.

By the way, I find it ironic that Turbine got raked over the coals for the lockboxes but got nothing but praise for the Treasure Hunting event when in fact they're the same darned thing.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:12PM (Unverified) said

Anyone else think there's something pretty wrong about that picture?

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:26PM fallwind said

@(Unverified) I'm trying to remember what show it was from...

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:35PM Saker said

@(Unverified) It is extremely creepy!

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:32PM Ehra said

I think 8 is extremely important for people to stick to. I hear complaints all the time about how F2P games are "more expensive" than subscription games, which I haven't found to be the case at all. If you set yourself a strict budget and do you research on the things available in the shop then I've been able to enjoy any game fine from a monetary point of view.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 7:01AM Luftwaffles said

@Ehra

I think people look at cash shops and think "I'm going to spend more than $15 dollars here a month" ergo its more expensive. BUT. What they are not considering is you aren't obligated to spend. So if you set a $15 a month budget, and end up not spending that much EVERY month, then that money could roll over to the next month for spending. Whereas a sub game pisses that 15 away no matter what.

With an F2P I can target what I want to spend money on and then not buy anything for a bit, instead of being obligated to throw money down a hole no matter how much I'm playing at a given time.

Most of this ''more expensive' banter stems from many people not being able to stop themselves from spending too much money.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:59PM Amlin said

One of the things I learned is that instead of buying bigger bank space, you can buy more character slots instead and use those are mules. You'll get bank space plus their default bag.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:40PM ViRi said

I think that picture is from Voltron but I could be wrong.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:52PM (Unverified) said

@ViRi It's from Beverly Hills Teens

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 1:25PM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

NOW I remember that cartoon.

While I am a cartoon-nut, it was a cartoon that was VERY HARD for me to get into. In fact, I kept switching over to other cartoons I'd been bored with (having seen the episode for the 5th time) because things were too...well, it was like they took what would be known (in the future) as "Bratz", layered "Richie Rich" over everyone, and had the unrealistic High School appearance popularly shown on TV at the time ("Everyone is "perfect", except, if I remember, the main guy character, but his family still had a ton of money squirreled away in some Swiss Bank account). All this with an Anime-look that wasn't Anime but an "American" trying to copy the look (although I think DIC produced this, so that would be a "Canadian", not an American).

I did give this series a shot, but really, it's much like my experiences in the Barbie aisles of Toy Stores at the time; I couldn't stand in them for more than 2.3 seconds before leaving. Not Manly-Man enough!

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:56PM (Unverified) said

That's some solid advice. I never really thought to compare a subscription to a monthly budget for a F2P game. If I ever dabble in a cash shop in the future I'll definitely keep that in mind. :) Thanks for the article.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 7:19PM Ocho said

Excellent, Syp. I have been enjoying F2P games (and paying for them), and by using pretty much these exact tenets, have been getting everything I want and more from them. Essentially, just don't be an idiot with your money... if you're spending more money than a sub costs... then just SUB! If something is frivolous, know that before buying it, and this goes for "mystery boxes".

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:11PM trinitystone said

Another good thing to do is to check into the games social media sites etc. You can find out when they are doing sales and even giveaways. I won a Lord of the Rings: Rise of Isengard legendary edition just by retweeting a post. It retailed for something like $50!

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:56PM (Unverified) said

It is hard to not buy stuff in the shops. But what i think someone said, don't spend more than what you would pay for a monthly game. BTW what cartoon is that picture from? I feel I should know but can't find it in my head.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:32AM Muwing said

Very good list, #10 is very appropriate to some games and and uses to cause a lot of frustation.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 10:36AM Felladin said

I agree with most of the posters here, no 10 is the main one. It is also the only one that has me most annoyed when playing F2P.
I really like Grand Fantasia, but most of the items in their store are "mystery prizes" and most dresses and weapon-skins are "either 3-days or permanent" when you buy them.

Which is point 11 on this list, don't go for the rented space or items. Atleast the storage bags in Grand Fantasia are permanent. Rented items are really annoying.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM