Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:07PM tk421242 said

Interesting art style they are going with. This is the first dev video I watched from them and it looks unique enough to get my interest for sure.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:23PM jimr9999us said

Paraphrasing: "When you lose a character, the death penalty is harsh. You need to level up a new character basically."

This is looking to be the most creative direction on mmog pvp I've seen since LotRO. Salem has moved to the watch list.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:32PM jimr9999us said

Here's a better interview about the nature of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhWtl7IcEQ&feature=player_embedded

Mr. Johannessen has a fresh, brilliant take on mmorpg's. I hope his vision becomes some sort of reality, if not in Salem perhaps another game.

Major Dev's take note of this man and what he speaks!

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 5:43PM Kordor said

If they just had some more serious looking characters. They look like gnomes from wow :(

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:04PM (Unverified) said

@Kordor I was thinking this same thing. You have a really interesting death mechanic combined with a fascinating sandbox set of tools for crime and punishment, but are doing it all with these short mustachioed gnomes. Strange.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:22PM (Unverified) said

The problem with Griefers though is that they don't attach any value to their character, so the harsh death penalty may not be much of a determent for them. I do like how they are doing the scents and bounty-hunting though.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:42PM psycros said

@(Unverified) : except that it takes time to level up to the point you can effectively be a griefer. Sure, a mid-level guy can spread havoc in the newb areas..as long as those areas aren't also where the bank is, in which case tons of high-levs will be around to use the griefer as a punching bag. Bottom line? Spending two days leveling for fifteen minutes of sweaty-palmed a-hole enjoyment probably won't seem too appealing to most scumbags.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 6:56PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'll pass. This system won't stop anyone from griefing. Griefers just keep coming back like cockroaches. Not to mention the graphical style really doesn't suit my taste.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 9:51PM Wensbane said

Now that Wakfu has been released, this has moved straight to the top of my watch-list. It just sounds incredible, really.

Also, (in my opinion) the game looks fine, but that UI definitely needs a lot of work...

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 5:19AM FrostPaw said

I am very cynical about the concept of community justice, the vast majority of any community in a video game usualy consists of apathy at best. If you belong in a large guild and are a popular member of that guild with influence or perhaps some social celebrity people might rally to catch your killier/theif/sheep rustler etc, but I suspect most people won't be interested.

It's a bit like the "Guild helper" syhdrome, you join a guild, you want to help guildies do stuff and contribute, after a few months you start seeing more and more people asking for help and that starts getting annoying, you lose your enthusiasm for helping and become more and more silent in guild chat when people put calls out. Now it's someone elses job to help that person.

Too many people are going to call out needing help for a crime and eventually the novelty of tracking those criminals down will be "someone elses job"

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 12:24PM pid said

The dev in the pic looks like that toon in his own game lol.

Posted: Mar 9th 2012 2:46PM Space Cobra said

Pretty much what has been said, with some more small details added.

I am still not "sold" on this type of mechanic. First you need to level up a Ranger/Bounty Hunter with that particular skill set. So there are no "Lynch Mobs"; only specific players can go after griefers. This would seem to limit the amount of people. There also might be a skill cap so that you may not be too effective at insta-justice.

Again, we just have to see this in action on a Live server, but I am seeing ways around it for griefers to employ.