Posted: Mar 7th 2012 9:11PM edgecrusherO0 said

Wait...this is the preview video they released a few days back...and it's till boring : /

I'm still interested in giving the game a shot and WANT to get excited about it, but every time a they post a video of it I just get bored to tears. Seriously, they need to outsource their trailers, because they don't do a very good job of making them.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 9:27PM Mijin said

@edgecrusherO0
This video came out today... You must be thinking of another one.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 9:22PM Xo1o said

actual spell effects bigger than a tarutaru head, I'm impressed. FF11, and 14 too, are a bit on the slower paced side in terms of combat. You either like the game's style or you hate it, I guess... or you lovehate it which I can't say about any other mmo I've played or seen so far.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 9:30PM AstralEcho said

Just a clarification, the patch is Friday for Japanese players, but goes live tomorrow for North America with downtime from 1pm to 5pm pacific.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 9:40PM TortoiseCan said

I just started playing FFXIV for the first time, having never played FFXI either and so far I am really enjoying it. I had read about how bad it was at launch and how they've been improving it and that it's going to be given a mass overhaul later this year and so decided to buy it.

I think that it's a definite unique experience, which was what I was looking for. I actually don't find the interface to be that bad once you get used to it. I'd say it's a lot more tedious than it needs to be and targeting is frustrating , but I love everything else about it so far so I'm dealing/getting used to the shortcomings.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 10:04PM AstralEcho said

@TortoiseCan

I think this is the game's biggest draw for me right now. It still has a ways to go, it's far from perfect and I don't even expect 2.0 to magically solve everything, but at the end of the day the game is *different*.

I quit Rift and TOR because they were, to me, the same game I had been playing for seven years repackaged. I even have my reservations about GW2 and TSW. FF, however, is tangibly different to what else is out there and it isn't the unplayable mess it was at launch anymore. More importantly, I feel like the game actually has a future that I want to see. When I think about TOR's patch cycle, all I can see ahead are more dungeons, more raids, and more instanced pvp.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 10:12PM Mevan said

@TortoiseCan

Nice to read someones unbiased opinion about the game. As someone who's played since beta to now I can tell you it has come a long way and it's only getting better. Once 2.0 hits it's going to be crazy and I'm looking forward to see how the game does once this happens.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 11:26PM Softserve said

@Mevan Yeah, admittedly even the significant changes they've made thus far haven't been quite enough for me... but I'll definitely be making an effort to try it again when 2.0 hits. It's really amazing what the new team/leadership has done for this title. I can only imagine where it'd be if it was being handled well in the first place.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 11:51PM Cerabret100 said

@TortoiseCan I recently picked it up myself, my free month ran out about a week ago.

I'm very on the fence about whether or not i want to give it another month in this state.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 2:25AM Mevan said

@Mevan Just in case people reading this haven't had a chance to look at the planned changes for 2.0 but might be interested:

It would have been an entirely different launch had this current team had their way with FFXIV's development. Assuming that SE didn't try to push launch, if the beta would have lasted longer and if they listened to player complains during beta.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:41AM Xo1o said

@TortoiseCan that's good to hear. The UI has been improved substantially over the past year, as was its responsiveness. The FF Online games have both a unique pacing which often means some extra work to get things done that would be easier to achieve in other games and with less time investment. That's not necessarily a bad thing, although it sounds like it, but it requires the player to have a lot of time on his or her hands.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 12:25AM Arcline said

Right now I'm juggling FFXIV and Aion, but at the rate at which we're getting new content and updates, I'm finding myself more engaged in XIV. I'm excited for this patch, and the subsequent content.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:09AM (Unverified) said

recently came back to the game and im vpleased about it i rly need that new systems to learn smth new from a game it simply gives a pleasure to see diffrent aprouch to game mechanic ill stay with this one for a while i think have a ton of fun ;)

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 8:57AM JawnHenry said

I am hoping that for the new instances we can use our choice of DPS job as opposed to Moogle King, all Archers, and Ifrit, all Lancers. I find it frustrating that I am still unable to participate in those two instances because I do not have a specific DPS job leveled.

If WOW worked the same way they would be asking for a10-man raid party to consist of 2 healers and 8 rogues. Which would be silly.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 10:01AM AstralEcho said

@JawnHenry

Just checked out the patch notes and the changes to crowd control may mean we see less class-stacking, at least for moogles where archers were stacked to keep the gladiator bound.

Overall a fantastic patch!

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 10:34AM valdi313 said

Does anyone know of a place that has a sale on the game now? I'm interested in trying it out, but really don't want to throw down $20 on a game that is still basically a beta.
Is there a free trail or a refer a friend promo?

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 12:54PM Manafront said

can't wait till haste is added.. combat needs to go a little faster