Posted: Mar 6th 2012 7:22PM (Unverified) said

From reading the PC Gamer article, his comments make more sense in context. It's a smart design decision considering how very little story is involved in random open world rifts.

Though I do have to say I never felt that their quests were very compelling. I hope Trion can improve them, maybe go back and make them more interesting. A lot of it has to do with presentation and when it's not presented well enough, quests can feel grindy.

Also interesting to note is the allusion to their "crossyard PvP prototype". I'm not sure what to make of that one.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 7:33PM Bartlebe said

Mixed emotions for me right now. He says "People need to feel like they have a place in the world..." but questing through some sort of theme park game design has the very opposite effect on me.

Personal preference, I know, but I would of felt much more attached to the world had it not felt l like I was being funnel through zones and quest hubs. Sandboxes make you feel attached. I would of loved to see some more sandbox features.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 11:16PM Budukahn said

@Bartlebe

My thoughts are pretty much the same. Doing the exact same quests as everyone else in the exact same order like a good little drone while having no real effect on the world is hardly the first building block in that feeling of immersion.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 12:50PM (Unverified) said

For me, attachment to a game world has always boiled down to character risk, slow leveling, and desirable resources (with low drop rate/ low respawn times).
When I feel a sense of real danger / challenge for my character (and by this I mean a death penalty that affects you on a personal level, and is not there just because you weren't in a heard of cattle...i mean a group), I begin to interact more with the environment and other players in an attempt to learn about and avoid the negative things that might cause me to die.

For me, a level process that is very slow (not grindy ) and takes a VERY long time is ideal. (Yes, so long that new players WILL have a hard time catching up. Low level caps are obnoxious. I put in the time, I want to be rewarded for being there longer. I hate when developers make everything ez mode for the new people just to get more sales. Irks the heck out of me.) Gear does not make me feel like I am working on "me". Leveling makes me feel like I am working on "Me". I am happiest when my character is "in progress" and I feel like I'm really working on something that can't be done in a short time. Leveling should not feel like a vestigial tail mechanic from ye-olden-days of true RPGs. For me, the leveling process (ie "The Journey") IS the game. Give me longer to interact with my environment in creative ways and I will start to appreciate it and get sentimental over it. These days leveling is just a formality with a brick wall waiting at the end so the little kiddies can catch up. Not cool.

Lastly, when the crafting resources in a game are in high demand and low supply, I actually feel more inclined to get out and hunt for these resources, and interact more with the environment. Rift's resources are strewn everywhere mostly going ungathered / unharvested / untapped. That's because there are TOO MANY raw resources available in the game, the auction houses are overloaded, and the prices reflect this because often resources go exactly (or pathetically) below vendor cost. Scarcity is a good thing.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 7:13PM DancingCow said

@Bartlebe

I agree. It's just a line of tasks leading me to max level.

I still have hopes for Rift and keep an eye on it though.

Posted: Mar 8th 2012 12:50PM ApathyCurve said

@Bartlebe

Exactly. Themeparking a game means I'm following THE SAME PROGRESSION PATH as everyone else. How is that creating a unique sense of identity for me?

I think it much more likely that they had a meeting during development, during which the consensus was "this sandbox stuff is, like... hard," and then decided to cop out with the themepark route. All this hot air about giving the player "a place in the world" is just marketing hype intended to prop up a floundering MMO which ate a development budget larger than the GDP of Portugal. Sorry, no sale.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 7:47PM Adeptus Enginus said

Yeah... I don't know. I find it kind of ironic he's basically saying that they changed it because players didn't feel like they had a place...

...yet one of the biggest complaints i read about RIFT at launch on their forums was that the world felt lifeless and uninteresting. Clearly, the change... helped?

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:00PM doublerainbow said

@Adeptus Enginus

This game has changed a lot since launch. All of the changes that Trion continues to make is making this game quite amazing! Especially considering they have special events, continually new pumped out content, and tons and tons of patches. I have a feeling that the more time goes on, the more people will be saying this is that game to play now.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:18PM Utakata said

@Adeptus Enginus

"Clearly, the change... helped?"

Well...that's debatable. RIFT has still done well.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 1:23AM Adeptus Enginus said

@Utakata

Oh, I'm not insinuating that it's doing poorly. Trion's one of my favorite companies, even though I'm not currently playing RIFT, strictly because I hear about how well they interact with their playerbases.

I just find it ironic this dude here's talkin' bout how they changed it to be more themepark at launch, to fix an issue that wasn't fixed at launch.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 7:59PM doublerainbow said

I think this man truly understands the appeal of the MMORPG.

It isn't epic gear, or raiding on Mon/Wed/Fit together, nor playing the auction house, or running dungons. NON of that would matter if people didn't like playing together and feeling like the game rewards them, rather than punishes them, for wanting to play the game with each other.

Rift has made serious progress as an MMO, and frankly its funny that so many people think its terrible. This game is shaping up to be one of the best MMO's to ever hit the market in years. I am being honest here and trying not to exaggerate.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:02PM jimr9999us said

@doublerainbow

I agree. I subscribe to Rift right now because 2x a week I get together with a group of friends, drink some beers, and kill a bone dragon or two.

It's bowling night for the 21st century.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:06PM Saker said

@doublerainbow I've never been able to find their world compelling, it just feels generic. I've tried it a number of times since before launch till including just recently and just have never felt compelled to continue. It doesn't immerse. It may have gotten better, I really haven't noticed anything amazingly different since earlier on, I don't know what you're talking about there. "This game is shaping up to be one of the best MMO's to ever hit the market in years." - really? I think that's a serious exaggeration, I just don't see it at all. It's ok, and all, but just nothing at all special really.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:20PM Rialle said

@Saker

I don't think it is an exaggeration, though everyone's tastes are different.

As far as theme parks go, I think RIFT is easily more fun and rewarding to play than both WoW or TOR (though my thoughts on TOR are based on beta since I never got into the retail game). It is currently the only theme park that at least makes a reasonable attempt at keeping the non-instance game world feel alive and relevant once you hit level cap.

I honestly would be very interested to play a game that matched with the original vision, to be honest.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 10:59AM wufiavelli said

@Rialle I have to disagree. i think for most people it was just something to pass the time between WoW and Swtor launches. I have tried it quite a few times and the questing was no wear near the quality or swtor and definitely not wow. The rifts were nice at first but soon turned into little more then a gimic as time went on.

The Ember Isles interest me, but i really do not want gruel through their horrid quests to get to that content.

Their questing treadmill and rifts do not connect at all. Rifts are not conquering quests hubs, they are getting annoyingly in the way.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:48PM TortoiseCan said

I appreciate this game - but I feel like community is really what this game is lacking. Maybe it's just my narrow experience but I find that any time I've used the LFG tool, it's been an absolute nightmare.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:27PM Rialle said

@TortoiseCan

This was my reservation with Trion putting in a WoW style cross-realm dungeon finder. It can be very disheartening for a fresh level 50 player to get tossed into a group full of HK-geared people and get verbally scrutinized for not being as l33t as they are.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 11:04AM fallwind said

@TortoiseCan "but I find that any time I've used the LFG tool, it's been an absolute nightmare."

then don't use it? You can still look for groups in /local like in the good old days.

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 1:07PM (Unverified) said

I tend to get downvoted whenever I present this argument...so maybe It's time I stop trying...but I'll give it one last go:
I feel that guilds are what destroy a sense of community, because people become cliques ( like High school), ignoring an entire player base and letting their world revolve around their guild-mates. Everyone sitting at their own little groups table, and ignoring all the other people in the room.
We even have names for that disgusting horrible experience of *gasp* interacting with THOSE icky other people outside our guilds... we call them..."PUG".

Really? We have a negative word for grouping with people we don't know? In a social game? ...Why am I always the only one who sees this as a bad thing... Guilds are bad IMO, and I don't say that as some sort of outsider who isn't in a guild, I say that as an 10/11 raider. I am embarrassed by how little I know other players outside of my guild. I KNOW most of the people in my guild do not interact with others and consider them "scrubs" not worth knowing.
HOW did we get to this point, and how do we turn this car around?

Posted: Mar 7th 2012 2:41PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

PUG = "Pick Up Group".

Maybe that's why you get downrated.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014