Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:26PM tk421242 said

So it allows a player that decided to stop playing in the past to come back and skip multiple levels of content and advance right to the end game raiding?

People seem to think this is a good thing but is there much of a difference between getting a code from a friend to power level to max and just buying the same result from a cash shop?

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:35PM smartstep said

@tk421242

Well it is BIT better cause it is not directly sold for money , but yeah overall it does not fall behind far in how bad it is.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:09PM potaco said

@tk421242

So, people complain that leveling in WoW is awful/fast/easy, but now complain when others can skip that awful/fast/easy content? Level 80 is not quite advancing directly to end-game raiding and, with the LFR raid finder, it's not exactly difficult to get into raids as a fresh 85 anyway.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 7:15PM tk421242 said

@potaco I have not played since right after the BC expansion, I actually thought 80 was the level cap now. Personally I harbor no bad feelings towards WOW, had some good times in that game, I just moved on to other things.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:30PM Dunraven said

How can anyone not see this as a desperate move from a failing company?

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:32PM smartstep said

Hahahahahahahah

Desperate much?

I wonder if this is pre-empetivee action in spite of upcoming nuke (GW2) and other sizeable bombs (TERA , tsw and others)

or WoW started to bleed players faster again?

Maybe it is both of those reasons?

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:37PM (Unverified) said

@smartstep
Yeah, they have to have some preliminary esstimates on sub numbers since the quarter is almost over. May's Q1 conference call looks to be a bloodbath when you combine this news with the 600 layoffs.

One can only hope this slide by Blizzard may result in Vivendi waking up and firing Kotick. Then Blizzard can go back to being Blizzard again, especially if they were to make Morhaime the CEO of Activision Blizzard which they should have done to begin with. They could have offered Kotick something else to sell them Activision.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:49PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Yup pretty much. Kotick is bleeding everything he touches. I'm a big fan of the Call of Duty series but the decision to go peer to peer in MW2 has gone downhill for me. I know secretly in the back of his mind he wants IWNet to be a pay as you play service so they started using it for MW2 and then MW3. I say this because he made a comment long ago about not getting any kickbacks such as how Microsoft does on their XBOX Live service.

And to top it off how many people genuinely dislike MW3 because of the broken weapons again and how many small maps favor them.

WoW is a great game don't get me wrong. I quit it because it's old for me and I have been playing (not continuously) since beta. But too many cash shop services from this company and too many restrictions that they've lifted recently to get people to stay.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:57PM smartstep said

@(Unverified)

Imo there is no going back to being 'old Blizzard'. It just won't happen. Seriously waste of emotions and time to dream like that.

Whole idea of merging Acti and Blizz is Vivendi strategy to have a company in video games that can rival EA.

Imo you will be far better just looking for new company that cares for it's playerbase - smaller propably.

Big fishes like EA & Acti care only for total mainstream big market , for 'average joes' , for players that get known about a game watching an advert in TV or cinema.

If you want to have company that make games targetted at you at player who read & discuss on gaming sites ,etc - you need to find other smaller company.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:09PM (Unverified) said

@smartstep
Blizzard was a big fish and it had only 3 real franchise titles (Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft). They became a big fish, and made tons of money, by expanding options for gamers and giving them substance in games, not trivial things that are in this Resurection Scroll.

You are right, the idea that drove Vivendi to buy Activision was to compete with EA. But if I was on Vivendi's board of directors, I would asking why things aren't going to well. Since they made Kotick CEO, WoW has declined, Diablo 3 isn't universally embraced as one would have thought, and hoped, it would be and Starcrat 2 has had it's share of missteps. And all of it can be pointed back to the same type of thinking Kotick introduced into Activisions titles.

Sooner or later they will realize that mainstream big market for MMO's isn't whats being done now. The problem is, will this be too late to save Blizzard's reputation.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:24PM Borick said

@smartstep I find your idea interesting. If the ActiBliz merger was intended to create a rival to to EA, does that mean that both companies are racing to the bottom?

Haha. I'm trying to make a joke, but not really. I don't hate EA or Blizzard, but I'm a bit like a Vandal peeking over the river at fat, despondent Rome. Perhaps the best thing that could happen to WoW would be for it to burn down and let us loot the art and ideas for a new generation of games.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:36PM Dante G said

This sounds pretty good. One thing though, the free cataclysm is permanent or will you have to pay for it if you decided to keep playing after the free days?

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:48PM dudes said

Nice.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:51PM (Unverified) said

I wish I had friends.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:53PM Calyptic001 said

• Half a heart
Haha people are funny. Wow still and will always have more subscribers than any other game when will people learn that.

You can say things like ''desperate much'' as much as you like Gw,tera,tsw whatever title is next will never have the pulling power a blizzard game gets. The only game to beat wow will be another blizzard mmo.

By the way I do not playwow just pointing out peoples arrogance.

I can't understand this fascination that mmo gamers have with wanting certain games to succed or fail, quite frankly its embarasing.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:14PM Sorithal said

Yeah... not going back. Blizzard's clearly trying to pull people back into WoW. Here's the problem with WoW - it's the same old tired stuff from seven years ago. The end-game is still the same basic formula, only numbed down considerably. The lore of WoW has turned into pretty much a joke. PvP is pretty much the same as it always has been. Most stuff in the game may have gained a new look, but it's still pretty much the same old stuff from seven years ago.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:22PM shirtntie said

About time they owners of WoW stopped trying to pinch every penny out of their customers. This is a good deal where they really are offering a lot for your money. Well done.

Does that mean im going back?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:24PM Allegos said

It's not whether we think the subscribers Blizz has lost over the last four consecutive quarters add up to a lot. It's whether Activision's stockholders do.

I'm still not coming back.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:25PM Pasha said

Nice promotion. Though it could be even better if free server transfer was included as well.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 5:36PM Rialle said

@Pasha

This would honestly be more appealing than a free 80 to many people I know.