Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:07AM pancakewizard said

• 1 heart
I really wanted Aion to work for me. My friends and I were looking for a worthy escape from WoW. I rolled once about 14 months ago and got a SpiritMaster to around 35, did some insane crafting and just quit.
I thought I'd go back, so about 3 months ago I resubbed and rolled a Sorcerer to around mid 30s (never deleted the SM). And the same thing happened but for a different reason. Far less people play the game plus the game runs around 20-30fps on my machine in Sanctum and [the zone you teleport to from Elteen].

An i7 oc'ed to 4ghz - 12gb of ram and dual 560s with sli enabled should run this with 60 fps with no issue considering with the 64 bit client of WoW I get 75+ in StormWind on a high pop server.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:18AM Braiks said

@pancakewizard Really? No problems here. Smooth as silk.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:49AM silver001 said

@pancakewizard So you are gonna compare a cryengine game to WoW huh? Ofc you don't say whether you had the high quality client or the low quality client.

Nevertheless, it is weird that your fps is that low, I had a much crappier system back when I played aion and my fps at sanctum wasn't that low. Ofc your ram doesn't matter since aion's client isn't 64bit.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 1:44PM Heiltdo said

@pancakewizard
amd athlon ii 240
amd HD4770
xms2 4gb ddr2 @800 mhz

Old system and i run it max settings 30+ fps on Pande 50+ on open areas.

Btw i have been trying to reactivate my account but supports seems to be overwhelmed to a point it has been 4 days since my email to them.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 1:55PM pancakewizard said

I actually read on a blog once (don't have access to link) that some old Windows XP machines with older hardware actually run the game better than new hardware and Windows 7 as the OS.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 4:09PM Yarr said

Good news on the crafting updates! That might even get me back to trying some again, as the insane RNG of getting anything decent from crafting pretty much completely put me off doing any, as it is often cheaper (not to mention the time saved) to just buy similar items off the broker.

@pancakewizard - your low FPS in those areas is very likely due to the combination of hard drive speed, graphics memory, and system memory speeds. If there is any conflict or slowness it will bring Aion to its knees loading/unloading textures in busy areas. You might also play around with the setting for loading other character's detail. Putting the game flies on a SSD (if you have the money for one, ouch) will (very likely) help with that, assuming again that the memory subsystems of your computer can make use of the SSD speeds compared to a hard drive. An expensive solution, to say the least.

There is software that will let you turn off all kinds of background programs and processes while playing a game that might help you out. Tweaking the graphics driver settings can often improve things and you might try searching forums for what others have had luck with on that.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:31PM Yarr said

@Professer - they changed the interface a bit several versions ago, including new colors and such. You might try searching YouTube for the 2.7 official trailer (I think there is only a Korean version of it), which shows the new darker blue interface about halfway through the vid.

Questing and leveling is now super easy (too easy IMO, but I like killing stuff and the combat system so...). The quest line is basically the same, so it is linear, but they eased up on the grind, most needed quest items will drop fairly quickly now, although more so on the Elyos side than Asmo, which for some reason wasn't tweaked as much. I've been running some new characters through both sides and things are very different from the early days.

Question on your font problems, could you link to a picture of what bothers you? I know with certain graphics settings, especially with anti-aliasing and ATI cards, the main font would become very distorted and hard to read.

There are ways to change the actual game's font, but no telling if that violates whatever this week's rules on banning players might be, so that would certainly be try at your own risk. Then again, with the game going F2P you'd only be out your time if there was a problem doing that. I actually like the default Aion font and find it easy on the eyes and large enough for my aging eyes to easily read.