Posted: Mar 5th 2012 9:59AM AlienFanatic said

Seems an odd decision to me. By all accounts, the Vita's roughly as powerful as the PS3 and many gamers have the 3G version. I think CCP is missing out on a potentially significant marketplace for a portable MMO. Right now, there just aren't too many competitors.

That said, it's hard to know exactly what's going on with Vita development. From data caps to a lack of key titles on release (indicating that development got started late), I have to wonder if CCP possibly wanted to do a full version on Vita but ran short of time due to Sony's hardware launch schedule.

I guess we'll never know. Hope another developer realizes that there's a market for a fully portable MMO experience. To this day I don't know why better choices don't exist.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 10:02AM Baby Choo Choo said

Both CCP and Sony are crazy in the best possible way. All the stuff going on with Eve and DUST and all the stuff that's possible with the Vita just put a smile on my face.

Granted this Vita app clearly isn't anything special, but the fact CCP wants to make use of it and the fact Sony is green-lighting all of this just makes me happy for all the future possibilities.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:14AM paterah said

@Baby Choo Choo Agreed on all accounts.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 10:48AM ApathyCurve said

• 1 heart
And CCP continues to ignore the sound of that huge freight train of FAIL that's roaring right at them with "DUST 514" stenciled on the nose...

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:10AM Maseno said

@ApathyCurve

How do you figure it is going to fail? We honestly know little to nothing about the actual game other than the markets will interact with Eve, the game is on PS3, and what a few of the guns look like. Hard to call something fail when you literally know nothing about it.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:33AM geekcream said

@Maseno

Because they are ignoring too many markets. First. There is no guarantee there is a strong following under PSN. Dust could and should be part of Eve as a whole. PC client and all. If they really wanted to cover all of their based they would not only release it for consoles with mouse and keyboard support (Yes I know they are) and PC. Plus open up the companion app to Iphone and Android devices. To ignore all of this and to only pick one console giant out of the all just seems like poor planning.

Either don't do it. Or put everything into it. Yes I am aware they will release a PC version in the future. But the only way they can truly advertise this is to get the blood pumping and release it as a PC game then port it to consoles.

I love CCP. But this is a crash waiting to happen.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 2:25PM Ref Minor said

@ApathyCurve

Poor thing, still hurting over the PS3 thing, still sore that CCP don't want to cannibalise their EvE playerbase

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 12:08PM dudes said

• 1 heart
I wonder if they fear Halo 4?

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 2:18PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I don't think CCP is capable of making a polished finished product. Eve is one MMO that I have to patch up to 20X each month. Usually the current patch corrects errors for the last patch. Its fine for the PC, but how will that work for the PS3?

Also why just the PS3? It seems like they are limiting themselves not being on the Xbox and PC. I really don't think PS3's user base is that big. Unless you count the people who use it to play Blue Rays.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:26AM Baby Choo Choo said

@(Unverified)

Where are people getting this information? The PS3 userbase is huge. In all fairness, it's not as big as the Xbox's or PC's, but that's like saying 99 isn't as much as 100 or 101. It's true, but the difference isn't so huge that it's mindblowing.

Why do people think it's only used for blurays? Is that supposed to be some sort of joke? When CoD, uncharted, or whatever sell millions of copies on PS3, do outsiders think all those people bought it to look at the box? There are milions of gamers on the PS3.

And if I have to reiterate this point one more time, I'm going to go mental.

Microsoft would never allow something like this.

First, the platform is no where near as 'open' as the PS3. There have been quite a few developers, including Gabe Newell, who have openly criticized Microsoft and the 360 for the restrcitions that sometimes get in the way of development. To be fair, the 360 is a GREAT platform with an amazing network, but the 'freedom' it provides to developers can be limiting depending on what you want to do with it. Just look up the stories, Team Fortress 2 on 360, L4D2 dlc on 360, Team Meat, Steamworks on PS3, and the list goes on.

Second, Sony is willing to take more risks than any of the other console makers. Again, Microsoft and Nintendo are in no way slouches either. Both of them do some freaking innovatie things. However, if we're handing out awards, Sony wins by a mile. I mean who their right mind would ever publish something Flower or Heavy Rain? I'll tell you who. Sony. And those games paid off. They weren't amazing blockbusters but they made money and that's because Sony was willing to back them because they saw something special.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 3:10PM halfcaptain said

I'm still excited about Dust, and I'm pretty sure there are enough players like me to insure that it is at least a mild success. I'm just hoping the gameplay itself lives up to my expectations; this will be CCP's first fps undertaking.

Apart from saying that, I also came the the comment section expecting some more 'lol fail ccp' and year-late comments whining about console exclusivity. I was not disappointed.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 12:25PM (Unverified) said

I work a companies that design virtual goods for Home and have downloadable games on PS3's store. Compared to Xbox its a joke. For them product is an afterthought. Its nothing person, its what gets them the most sales.

Personally I think the PS3 is a better platform, but the sales aren't there. Which means people aren't using it.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM