Posted: Mar 4th 2012 5:02PM Omali said

Steam: the MMO. A game where you download PC games? Gameception! Is Steam: The MMO one of them?

I'm always up for a dungeon crawler, looking at the videos this one has promise to be enjoyable.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 7:04PM Daemodand said

The only other "steampunk" Korean MMO I can think of didn't fully buy into the steampunk theme. It was sword & sorcery with a couple of steampunk items thrown in. Highly disappointing.

Here's hoping this one isn't s&s but full-on steampunk.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 8:37PM CoSEthan said

@Daemodand Hey, I'm Ethan and I work for Mechanist Games, the indie games developer who created City of Steam. We don't push the game completely as a "Steampunk" game. We try to use the term 'industrial age fantasy' since it isn't full blown steampunk as many of you would have liked, it seems.

But even the world the game takes place in is something I think steampunk fans will love.

We just feel proud that we successfully packaged a 3D world into a 1-3mb downloads. As this is only an early version, we have lots of content and features to add later.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 8:20PM Joshua Przygocki said

An MMO based on Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century novels would be awesome. Perfect for a 3 sided PvP system, could have Confederates/Rebels, Union, and Texians. Then there is also the persistent threat of the rotters. Airship fights, civil war battlefields with mechanized walkers, blight gas in Seattle... the Dreadnought, it would be awesome.

They are great books by the way if anyone is interested. "Boneshaker" is the first.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 11:01PM Skyydragonn said

if its not WARMACHINE its not steampunk :p

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 4:23AM CoSEthan said

@Skyydragonn Hi,

City of Steam is a browser-based, free-to play online RPG set in an industrial world poised to rediscover the mythic forces that shaped its history. Clockworks, steamworks, combustion, and alchemical principles suffuse the nations and people of the World Machine, pushing heroes and villains alike toward a dangerous secret that could change everything.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 2:05AM Unverfied B said

"free-to-play browser-based"

eww!

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 6:04PM ArcherAvatar said

@Unverfied B
Exactly!
F2P + Browser based = not f***ing interested.

Let me know when they go for a "gaslight / steampunk" universe in a real MMO game.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 3:41AM Beergut said

Here's a pretty good gameplay trailer.

Looks like a diabloesque kinda game that's more fantasy then steam punk.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 8:29AM Dabheid said

I am currently one of the lucky people who've acquired a sneak peek key into this game. I;ve been following the game since before Christmas and as most here, I was hoping for a fully steam punk scenario, but I think what I found is so much better. There is a Victorianesque style ambience in the open areas such as Beryl Street, Gaolers Stroll and Briarwood Court ( which is not a street as such but an area full of Thugs, Dogs, Rust Wolves, Spiders and more). The bosses are on some serious steroid regime in my opinion, very challenging but so worth the fun and rewards. Steam Punk fan but not sure about this game? Give it a go when it's released, you may just be surprised.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:56PM CoSEthan said

@Dabheid Thanks for your compliment. As a Sneak Peek version , the game still has very limited content and features. We do want to gather as much feedback as possible for further improvement. If you have anything to suggest, please feel free to tell us on our community.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 8:31AM SkyStreak said

For a second there, I assumed with a name like City of Steam, that ths had something to do with City of Heroes....

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 8:36PM CoSEthan said

@SkyStreak Actually not, City of Steam is an indie game developed by another indie games developer under the name Mechanist Games. Enjoy the game!

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 11:39AM Ripper McGee said

This looks really cool; I'm looking forward to checking this out!

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:24PM CoSEthan said

@Ripper McGee Yep, you can subscribe to the Newsletter and then get the priority on receiving further test keys.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 8:47PM Marz said

I just saw the Sneak Peek trailer and the graphics look good for a browser based game. I think I will try it, maybe it will be the first browser game I actually enjoy.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:31PM CoSEthan said

@Marz Woot, that's really cool. We never want to make shitty games that lacks originality, and that's why we spent more than 2 years on this baby. Also, this game world is based on The New Epoch, a serial RPG books written by our Lead Designer David LIndsay.

Hope you can enjoy the game!

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 4:06PM aegiskros said

playing in the sneak peak and considering the limitations by having it browser-based, it looks gorgeous; playing as a gunner is fun and different since I usually go the melee or magic types. Looking forward to the full release of this game. And while it may not be a full-on steampunk game, the setting and world are interesting and unique enough to definitely have me playing after release.

Posted: Mar 6th 2012 9:27PM CoSEthan said

@aegiskros Cool to hear that. Although a browser-based game, we managed to package a 3D world in a 1-3mb downloads. Also, this is only a Sneak Peek, we will add more feature functionality and content in future. Hope that you guys can feed us thoughts on this game and help us improve it. Thanks!

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM