Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 6:46PM Irem said

I would have liked to see a remake of FFXI that addressed all of the problems you mentioned. I know you said at that point it's not the same game, but I think when people say "they should have just remade FFXI," the desire for SE to upgrade the game to modern standards in more than just graphics is assumed. A lot of what's still an issue in XI exists because they just can't change it, and I know I occasionally think longingly about what they could do with newer technology. Maybe what I properly want is a sequel, but those usually come with multi-generational timeskips and huge world changes, which isn't really what I'd like.

I'd have preferred to stay in Vana'diel over going to Hydaelyn, honestly, and even though Eorzea is pretty interesting, it still breaks my heart that they abandoned the impressive worldbuilding of XI. If I felt that XIV had as much work put into it as XI does at this point, I might feel differently, but it has a long, long way to go. I have more confidence that it'll get there with Yoshida at the helm, but on creating XIV, SE outright copied so much stuff from XI that it felt to me like they only made it a different universe because they couldn't be bothered to recreate the places people feel strongly about from XI.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:38PM Naru now in 3D said

@Irem There's still the hope that Vana'diel will someday be a place to visit in FFXIV... Have you seen the 2.0 preview picture that looks just like Windurst?

And maybe after 2.0 comes out and FFXIV is much less broken, they can add in a lot of the great things from FFXI.

If you think about it, it's better that they totally screwed up some new, not-FFXI content with this early build of FFXIV and then (hopefully) add modernized FFXI content later on instead of starting with a totally broken next-gen remake of FFXI.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 7:10PM (Unverified) said

You seem to be grasping onto your own definition of the word "Remake" and not the one that the community is truly asking for. It is the absolute truth that when XIV came out the majority of the community said "Oh they should have just made FFXI-HD". Its also true that the same community said "I hope its not just FFXI-HD" when the game was announced at E3.

I do think you find fault in a lot more of XI than the vast majority of us who played it for 5-10 years. I do not find as much fault in the "forced grouping" as you do. I believe that it was a necessary evil and that it forced the grouping in a manner that was acceptable in most situations. However, your comments on the "mystery" aspects of the game are dead on, to a certain degree. Gone are the days when we are accepting of the 2 year search for the pop conditions of a certain NM. Gone are the willingness of players to search for months and months on how to craft something. These mysteries are the kind of things that need to go, all the rest are what is so desperately needed in the genre today.

As I said, your clinging to your definition of "remake" is what kills this. What we all want now is a return to Vanadiel. A true sequel ala Guild Wars 2. Vandiel is a unique and wonderful world complete with awesome character and story (better than any other MMO out there today. There is a reason you can't find a server in wow without a Prishe or a Shantotto on it.) We want a true sequel. The good of XI far outweighs the bad. The Horizontal and Vertical progression of the Job System. The forced grouping (in certain situations). The intricate (yet would need to be modernized) crafting system. The danger of exploration and Sneak/Invis. The World Boss HNM/NM system. A constant level cap with Merits for slight improvements. Yet nothing really can hold a candle to the vast amount of endgame activities FFXI accumulated over the years. Because of the constant level cap and their refusal to created "loot" that was so fundamentally better than others, every end game activity that was added was a viable avenue of progression and fun. It wasnt until they raised the cap that the true FFXI died. Yet even with the new 99 cap, they are making strides at retuning this content to once again be viable.

In the end, yes we love our Taru and our Mithra (and even the odd people who love their Galka). We want to go back there. The storylines draw our memory and our nostalgia like nothing WoW, Lotro, Rift, Aion or any other MMO could ever do. Give us a modern look with "modern group combat" complete with the "augmented trinity" that XI had with Tank, Healer, Damage and Buffing and Debuffing. You didnt always need all of them, but you needed some of them.

Its not a remake we want, but a sequel that gave us all the good that XI gave with none of the bad. What we got was XIV, which gave us none of the good systems from XI, some of the bad and a lot of copy paste, bad server and graphical design and just a lot of poorly thought out decisions which ended up being a bad "game".

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:33PM Naru now in 3D said

@(Unverified) I agree with a bunch of what you say... but is it really so weird to love your Galka?! T_T

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 8:28AM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
Your post said everything I wanted to say much more eloquently than I probably could.

Thanks.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 7:11PM (Unverified) said

I think one of the biggest set backs of FFXIV was the fact that they didn't bring the "good" things from XI over.

The closest similar system we get is Fields of Valor : Leve Quests.

Yet in the beginning of XIV we were limited to how often we could do these "main content" quests. 8 every 48 hours, which was then expanded to 8 every 36. Now you get 4 every 12 hours and can accumulate missed Leve resets and store up to 99 quests Sure FoV was originally implemented to 1 quest a hour. but that is still more frequent than what XIV offers even today!

But what happened to great systems in XI like Besieged? or Campaign battles? The world of Eorzea is ripe with conflict, the above systems would fit right into XIV, but they are no where to be found.

What about social systems like level sync? If a player is new to XIV, they will more than likely be power leveled from 1-30+ in the matter of several hours to a couple days, and they don't even have to draw a weapon.
At least in XI a high level person was able to play with anyone, not play for them.

I understand and agree that the two game should be just that: two separate games. However I wouldn't mind more XI in my XIV.

With the revamp from XIV ver 1.x to 2.0 they have the opportunity to design engaging and epic events, I just hope they aren't too afraid to look back and find a muse in the successes of FFXI and bring those to the table with a FFXIV flavor.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:00PM fatedruby said

Go to the official forums and say that. 200+ replies thread guaranteed, almost every one calling you a WoWtard or worse.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:47PM Naru now in 3D said

I loved FFXI and hated playing it most of the time. What you say about the way FFXI is makes total sense. Bravo!!

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:58PM Irem said

@Naru now in 3D
Haha, that's one way of putting it, yeah. It was half sheer accidental brilliance and half "OH GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT."

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:30PM AstralEcho said

I won't get into the semantics of whether or not remake in the context of this article is the remake that people have asked for. As far as FFXI being a terrible game however, well...I'm inclined to agree to an extent.

I loved FFXI, it remains one of the few MMORPGs that I never soured on, only outgrew, and I remember it fondly. It was, however, a game in which I spent more time sitting in town looking for a party than one I actively played, and much of this was due to the fact that there was very little I could accomplish on my own.

In addition, players themselves (at least those I played with) seemed to avoid "playing" the game in some ways. I remember doing CoP missions, and scratching my head as the preferred way of doing things was to sneak/invis and run past every possible fight on the way to the mission battle, as opposed to doing any sort of actual dungeon crawl. I'm a little concerned as I see a similar playstyle occurring in FFXIV, where players opt to rush past all the trash mobs in Dzemael Darkhold - something encouraged by the time limit on the dungeon.

Still the game is, as you said, enjoyable in spite of its flaws, yet can't help but wonder that if content were more easily accessible through dungeon finders or whathaveyou, would I end up burning out as quickly as I have with WoW, Rift, and TOR?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 11:13PM Irem said

@AstralEcho
That's the thing, though--the game encouraged sneak and invis, and it WAS playing. It was actually one of the things I enjoyed about the game, because it's unusual to see non-combat playstyles in MMOs. There were some places, especially in endgame areas, where fighting was a worst-case scenario because engaging extremely strong monsters in areas that weren't tactically safe could be a good way to wipe and waste a lot of time. Pulling a Solid Snake through deadly areas will probably always be more fun to me than the obligatory slog through crowds of trash mobs.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 11:33PM AstralEcho said

@Irem

Oh, I agree entirely that non-combat elements were part of the game's charm. One of the things I dearly miss were EQ1's illusions and the way they would affect faction, along with that game's invisibility (and FF's as well). My issue with FFXI was that it seemed a bit too rampant. I think it's great to have it as an option, certainly better than the kill-fest all games have become, but it reached a point in FFXI where it felt as though the areas and enemies between my party and my target might as well have not existed in the first place. I think there could have been a healthier balance.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 12:22AM (Unverified) said

Ill be honest, the only galka I loved was my Galka mannequin bean bag chair I had in my mog house. Something about that Galka sitting in front of the fire with my Verm Cloak on that made me sit on it and watch the fire.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:56PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
You guys gotta realize your diehards and things are different nowadays. I logged onto XI and about twenty minutes later uninstalled the piece of crap! I hated XIV as well even though I bought the collectors but at least it has a lot of promise..

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 8:27AM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
...There's so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 8:50AM Utakata said

@Nenene

I'm not sure if this person is deliberately trolling or that moronic. He/she uninstalls XI in 20 minuts of playing, but proceeds to go out and buy a CE version of XIV which he/she doesn't like either? Um...what is this person thinking?

...if these where my mistakes though, I don't think I would be bragging about it on a public medium. It's embarrassing stupidity at best.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 9:50AM Rialle said

@(Unverified)

Uninstalling FFXI after 20 minutes? Really?

No matter how crappy an MMO seems at first, I usually give it at least a day or two. Frankly with a game like FFXI, I fail to see how you properly experienced it in 20 minutes.

Obviously, if you are looking for a game that completely hand holds you at every step, throws loot at you for killing 10 rats, and grants you level 10 in an hour, then neither FF MMO will be right for you.

It was pretty clear during development that FFXIV was going to at least carry over some of the influence from FFXI and would not be a WoW clone, so you have only yourself to blame by jumping in with the CE.

Though some of the concepts in the games seem dated, I would more readily play FFXI or FFXIV over the majority of F2P titles out there (especially anything from Perfect World).

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 1:17PM (Unverified) said

@Rialle Yes really twenty minutes!! After sitting through an install that took TWO DAYS because it constantly disconnected, worst and most archaic download process I've ever seen, I was dumped in a woefully outdated looking world with no guidance at all on where to go. I get you guys don't like your handholding but come on! At least give a new player a clue in the first few minutes!

And yes I am a little embarrassed that I trusted SE too learn from one MMO and make the second one much better. Silly silly me! Also was in love with the graphics and wanted to love that beautiful, beautiful world.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 7:11AM RStormgull said

I agree to a degree.FFXI's combat was broken. It was broken in the sense that probably 75% of the mobs were merely decorative or punitive. Most mobs you ran by with Sneak, Invis, and deodorize on because they link and are too close to other linking mobs or are way too difficult to make it worth the XP and/or drops. I remember being in caves pulling fungi or sending the ranger in to do it because of the damn scorpions. Most of the time was spent sitting near the caves with the party flag up. There is almost nothing you can do alone once you get to level 10 or so. I had roommates with higher level characters and you know what they were doing? Sitting in a tree, pulling fungi. I swear they're like the only thing you fight on purpose in that game.

Posted: Mar 4th 2012 9:06AM Bramen said

FFXI's grouping was hard no doubt. They needed a way for all classes to solo for exp. While keeping huge exp bonuses for those who could muster up a group.

FFXIV seemed to fix this. But wtf that game needed 3 more years in the oven before that pie was done.

WRUP: Lucky Korea