Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:14AM Vinzix said

Preferably with a WASD option. Point-and-click (as the alternative) name goes, is rather outdated in this day and age. It still works for most MMO's, or RPG's, such as Top-Down Diablo like, or where it's more suiting such as Dota-games, but it's still odd to move that way, imo.

Unless the game is aimed for such movement. I don't mind it being there. If it's not, and it's better off with more freedom, such as WASD-control, then I rather have that as an option.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:19AM Tanek said

Click-to-move and the camera controls in general were some of the reasons I did not feel comfortable in Lineage II. I "grew up" in MMOs using WASD and the mouse for movement, so I don't know that click-to-move will ever be the best option for me.

I do like being able to target NPCs in a GuildWars town or outpost and clicking to auto-path over to them, but for normal movement and especially out in the explorable areas for combat, my reaction times on click-to-move are way to slow and would get me killed.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:19AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
What?
Both games use WASD movement, clicking is just an alternate input option, what's the problem here, exactly?
Massively should really get someone who actually knows about the topic to write these things.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:16AM Lenn said

@(Unverified) Massively should really get readers who actually know how to read.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:30AM Jetflame3 said

@(Unverified) You didn't read the full post eh? No worries, it's only a paragraph long and all, or did you just not understand the point of the article?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:23AM smartstep said

click-to-move has only ONE advantage - you can type and move at same time.

Rest are disadvantages - to WSAD.

So overall I choose WSAD.

Posted: Mar 5th 2012 3:54AM Snappyguy said

@smartstep Please, I can type find while I'm walking.w

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:33AM dulfy said

What about auto-follow someone else so they move for you? :p

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:48AM Glyph said

Click to move in Guild Wars is basically a convenience option. Everyone uses WSAD. It's still nice to have click to move so I can continue adventuring with a pizza in one hand.

It was also a convenient path finding tool. If it wasn't immediately apparent how to get to somewhere I could see off in the distance, I can simply click the terrain and the game navigates you there.

Pretty cool for secondary movement, imo.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:04AM Ken from Chicago said

@Glyph bingo. select a foe or friend or object and click to have the computer auto-move your character for you. Of course the mmo has to have good path-finder like in Guild Wars (and occassionally it can get stuck if someone or something is corners you against a wall). If the mmo just does a straight-line click-to-move then often that's worthless cuz you could just run there on your own (if the mmo has a run command).

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:56AM DarkWalker said

@Glyph

Same feeling here. I mostly use wasd, but some times click to move is quite convenient.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:50AM oohwakakaka said

click to move works best for me... it makes my left hand free to hold my pizza or beer... yeah that's life LOL

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:14AM Carolina said

In Forsaken World I could click on a quest and get my character running there automatically. I loved it and hated it, because I wish all MMOs with "hey go back where you just came from" quests would have it.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:50AM Traptz said

Click to move is nice questing and that's about it.

Click the NPC a mile away and auto-walk to it. While it's uses are limited, I still love it.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:00AM Dumac said

Click to move makes me have this weird compulsion to not just click once where I want to go, but click a dozen times, or click meter by meter towards where I want to go as I'm walking instead of just clicking once on the destination.

I think it's a bit of hyperactivity or excess energy that click to move doesn't utilize. When I'm using WASD, my hands are busy, left hand on WASD and the right hand is usually rotating the camera around so I can enjoy the scenery while I travel. I can look around with click to move too but It's still less 'active'.

So, WASD please ...

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:05AM Ken from Chicago said

So this is NOT an article about dance emotes in mmos? :-(

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:14AM Fakeassname said

one word: Babysitting.

in many of the games you listed, and most games that use "C2M", the primary mechanic of the game is babysitting your character instead of playing your character.

many Korean games are guilty of this to the 'nth degree, but can you really blame them when the whole nation has got a starcraft fetish? lots of people take major issue with this (and other elements of the standard Korean game design) and complain about the grind, but the truth is that in most KMMOs your actually playing more of a single unit RTS game with stat progression than any form of roll playing game.

the next time you play a "C2M" just keep an eye out for how much the game actually has you issuing commands instead of directly controlling your character.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:58AM cursedlegend said

always used click-to-move feels so strage to use wasd after all those years

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 12:05PM Nazzareth said

One thing that is a deal breaker for me with an MMORPG is if a game does not support mouse movement, by holding both buttons down. An N52 and a Naga are my preferred way to play. Honestly, why not just have all the movement options always available or just make everything key-mappable even the left and right clicks(one thing Tera got right).

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 12:13PM Pingles said

I play Zentia. I have NEVER played a click-to-move (C2M) game before that.

I am sold.

While I use WASD while fighting the C2M is invaluable for getting around the world while questing/traveling.

In fact, I'm selling Zentia short. They have numerous travel options, including following pets to a quest-linked destination and even choosing a spot on the overview map, horses, ports, etc.

I don't use ALL of them a lot but when they are needed, they are invaluable.

And don't knock that C2M until you try it in an MMO. Just imagine seeing a vendor you want to get to and just clicking the ground next to him and your character goes there. It's GREAT!