Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 9:45AM Tom in VA said

Thanks for the article, Jef. It was an interesting read.

I'm in the quandary of loving post-apocalyptic sci-fi settings, armors, weapons, etc., but not liking shooters (at all) or PvP (at all). Sadly, PvP + shooter + sci-fi so often seem to be joined at the hip. :(

Tabula Rasa had something closer to what I was looking for, but it's long gone (sniff). Still, I check out (via articles like this one) on any sci-fi game that comes along, so I appreciate the info. and your impressions of this game.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:20AM PanamaAlex said

@Tom in VA I concur Tom. Someone needs to fill the Tabula Rasa slot, and though Bounty Hounds Online and Global Agenda do a decent job, but that full MMO feeling is still missing.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 11:04AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Tom in VA

Sadly, Tribes Ascend does the shooter genre so much better... Blacklight is really just Crysis 2, only you can't run around and shoot with your X-Ray hud on, and... well, just not as fun, either.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty decent game and all, but I'd rather play Tribes... even though both games have a RIDICULOUS amount of money needed to buy upgrades and the like. 11k for permanent gun bases (SMG, Combat Rifle, etc), at least for in-game gold... no, just no. If I need a ground shooter, I'll just play AVA, at least I could afford to outfit all 3 of my classes... and got all 3 classes at the very start.

Then again, I played Starsiege Tribes back in '99. I might be just a shade biased. Just a shade.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:30AM Quarlo said

Normaly I'm not a fan of PC shooters (love my PS3 and always in fear of aimbots), but i got an email for BL:R and gave it a shot. So far I'm enjoying it.

It has all the classic game modes (deathmatch, capture the flag, etc...) and the HVR mode adds a level of strategy to the game since you can see through walls to see enemy positions. The HUD doesnt have a minimap so you have to rely on the sounds of gunfire to know where combat is happening around you.

They only have 3 maps right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly they add new combat zones.

Sure It's a cash shop game, but you can still outfit yourself and your gun without spending a single real world dollar.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:40AM Snichy said

I have been playing this for the last few days. It is extremely pretty on my high end rig and whilst it doesn't bring anything much new to the genre, it is a fantastic example of a standard multi-player FPS and the small features that you wont find in CoD/BF like depots and infared HUD really to add to the enjoyment.

It does have drawbacks (like a lack of explanation of simple things like how to change your primary weapon and I had no idea that Hardsuits had a weak spot that can be exploited until I read it here) and the menus & abundance of stats can be quite daunting at first but you soon get the hang of it but ultimately it is a fun, attractive fps set in a wonderful setting. I'm usually not a fan of multi player fps' being not particularly good at them but I will definitely be jumping into this for a quick session every now and then to satisfy my fps urges (until I realise how frustrating ti can be!)

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 11:55AM Angusito said

• 1 heart
clumpsy register of hits, op assault rifle, terrible lag for most pips, this game is not wortly the time, prefer my bf or unreal 1 millions of times

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:25AM Skyydragonn said

No one mentioned how incredibly OP standard assualt rifles are?
line up with your target and let the recoil earn you consistent headshots over and over and over again....its just a complete spam fest. I played for about 3 days for about 6hrs a day and I found everyone stuck with the standard assualt rifles and relied on recoil to earn rediculously easy headshot kills.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 10:26AM corpusc said

having only team modes is a dealbreaker to me.

does this have any Free For All modes?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 7:18PM Angusito said

@corpusc yep, i was using a BAR until my enemies start to pick up my gun and dropped if was trash lolz, its so cs clone, i already unistall. no wortly my time.

the custom system could be nice but with the bunch of hours you need to spend to buy something permanent and just not daily gallets make the game tedious experience

Why I Play: ArcheAge