Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:10PM Apakal said

The biggest hurdle is quality control. I've made this argument a thousand times before in a thousand different quasi-related topics revolving around user-created content.

Its the YouTube argument. Every user-created gem gets inevitably buried in a hundred tons of user-generated crap.

Opening up the medium is great, and there's no doubt that there are insanely talented people out there who use their abilities to the fullest to make great content for no other reason than enjoyment, and I applaud those people to no end. But at the end of the day, there's a significantly larger group of people who create content who simply aren't talented, or aren't as talented as they think they are. And they muck it up for everyone else.

Until a system is developed where user-created content can be created, submitted, and verified for content and quality, and then put out to the masses in a fast and efficient manner, this sort of content won't come into any sort of permanence on a wide level.

And this is different from mods in single-player RPGs, where you can just let the players sort it out themselves. This is an MMO. If you want any sort of persistent world, you have to push the content to everyone. And you don't want to just push crap content and hope if flies because some community members name is in the "Created by:" line.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 11:20PM Deliverator said

@Apakal
except youtube is HUGE and visited by each one of us every day. Crap content or not.
I don't get your argument.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 12:39AM Space Cobra said

@Deliverator

I get his argument; we could probably tik the box next to Apakal's name as, "Not strongly for User-Generated content".

I get what he's saying, but I still prefer the tools for user-generated content out there. I still prefer there to be tools than for none (or waiting on Devs), especially in an "open" MMO.

Finding diamonds among the coal is nothing new, but yes, it sure would help if we had a handy-dandy "best/award-winning dungeon finder" for this. Atm, we don't have that and when we do, it is prone to be misused for ill-intent: Either you get a guy who knows many friends that continually up-votes his work (even though it doesn't deserve it) or perhaps the reverse where someone may not "get" the reason for a particular work and down-vote others. Then there are the in-between stuff, like someone who is not known making a good dungeon but doesn't get many votes.

I can't fault him for wanting easy-access to superior content, but I feel, even among so-so work, there may be things that either are somewhat creative and need more development (or couched criticism with praise) or what have you.

Thinking about it, I think it does help to have some sort of search tool and limit searches of smaller haystacks instead of the big one. Say you are interested in "Space" related things, you could search with that keyword and narrow your search there.

Like I said, I get both sides, but I just prefer bumping into unexpected raw bits, even though I may have to sift through lots of badly designed stuff (or even one-joke stuff that is immature imo and may not fit my sense of humor).

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:34PM Deliverator said

@Space Cobra
I agree with your comment and I too would rather be allowed to sift through crap then not have the option to build something cool... whether or not I personally got any visits. It's about the creation for me, not about visiting creations. Additionally, with regards to visiting others' creations - I can decide for myself what I like.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 5:05AM golembuilder said

Did LOTRO run into any copyright infringement issues with their music system? For example, someone recreating another persons song in the game?

Even with a fair use argument, that wouldn't prevent the company from being sued.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:16AM Nepentheia said

The script system in Anarchy Online is fantastic.

For instance, one can create a dance routine that lasts minutes long by stringing together various emotes and dances.

I re-enacted the entire scene from the Zero Wing "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" with my three Meta-Physicist pets. The scripted spawned them, renamed them to the character names in that scene, and then the pets spoke each of their lines in turn, and at the end the script renamed all the pets back to their normal names.

I'm not aware of any other MMO having a similar system in place but I would love to see a whole lot of other MMOs have a feature like this!

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 12:49PM Tatwi said

Raph Koster could probably tell you a lot about how he had to scrap the original music design for SWG, due to copyright concerns - adding a programable instrument meant that the players could make public "performances" of copyrighted material, for shich SOE would be liable. So, they broke up the star wars songs into pieces and used those licensed "perfomances" instead.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:36PM Deliverator said

@Tatwi
That's interesting and I never heard that part of the story.
I guess Turbine jumped that hurdle years later though. I'll never forget stumbling upon a guy playing "Don't fear the Reaper" on a loot outside the auction house in Bree. I later figured out that he'd just fed it a midi script, but at the time I was floored.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 9:37PM Deliverator said