Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:16PM Brianna Royce said

Beau, thanks for this list. Meant to say this yesterday. I've tried out a bunch of these thanks to your advice. The Legends games of course, but also TibiaME and Warspear. I'm still debating Order and Chaos Online because it's a $6 buy-in on top of a sub, which seems a little much for a phone game.

It's really incredible how far Android gaming has come. Two years ago it was so bland (although the phones themselves have come a long way in two years too... and I love my Gnex to BITS). Now I actually have more really good games (MMOs and non-MMOs) than I really have time to play.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:51PM NeverDeath said

I think it's cool that these games exist for people that want them, but I just like my gaming from the traditional source of high-spec, powerful gaming desktop. I was raised on consoles in a time where the pinnacle of PC gaming was Commander Keen, but once I got my first good computer as a teenager I pretty much used them primarily, with my consoles taking a back seat. I still play consoles occasionally, but most of my game time is spent on my PC which while hardly portable, I find to be much more comfortable than using these tiny devices.

So the obvious argument is "Well duh, these devices are made for portability" - which while true, means that the only time I would play those games is in specific situations where I'm not near my computer and I have time for gaming - a situation which just doesn't occur very often for me, hence they are useless to me. Still, I am impressed with some of the offerings and I think it's good that companies are making all kinds of games, though I would like to see a higher volume of games made for people seeking challenges, as some of the hardest games ever made still reside on old systems like the NES (and emulators *cough* not that I've ever used them).

On an unrelated note, since this is an MMO site (primarily, arguably), I'd also like to say that I'm excited to see that the genre is starting to show a little initiative, some activity towards moving on from the tired standards which have been played to death, and am looking forward to the future of the genre for the first time in years. Some great games that focus largely on the gameplay for a change, are finally on the horizon. To say that I am excited for this time in MMO gaming is a gross understatement.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:12PM Ref Minor said

@NeverDeath

Tablets make a big difference to that.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 8:24PM NeverDeath said

@Ref Minor

Idk, I find tablets to be the most useless inventions of all, because they're not as small and pocket-portable as their smaller kin, and they're not anywhere near as powerful in sound, graphics and presentation as desktop PCs, yet if you construct it yourself from bare parts, you could make a great gaming PC that can run anything out on ultra settings without skipping a beat for a similar cost to the semi-portable, not-so-powerful tablet. Imo, if you're going to go portable you might as well go portable - but if you want something big and awesome, go with a desktop. Tablets are the ugly cousin of the electronic entertainment world, imho.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:07AM Ref Minor said

@NeverDeath
Even after owning a tablet for a month I would have agreed with you, but after using one for a year I strongly disagree. It does not replace a desktop/laptop, you can't rationalise it's purchase as a need if you have a computer and a phone but they have a place in gaming and they use that space increasingly well.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:52PM Alex Oglitchkin said

Too bad Order and Chaos doesn't support my Atrix 2.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 5:24PM Stanzig said

It would be great if there were an app for Illyriad on android and apple. I'd gladly pay for an Illy app to have different pages dedicated to specific tasks like browsing the map with ease for prime real estate or sending out armies to level commanders. It's time consuming enough to really not want to bother with zooming in all the way and hoping you click on the correct option.

I liked how easy it was to select actions in The Infinite Black. If it would make Illyriad much more enjoyable on phones if it had something similar.

I do take the time to keep building queues flowing on my phone, but that's about it.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 9:23PM jakofascalon said

@Stanzig

Try running Illyraid in your phones browser. I didn't actually download the app on my iphone because I was able to run it in-browser.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 5:50PM h4ngedm4n said

Wow that is a lot of different mobile games to play. I'd give them a spin but no mobile device here. Are they exclusively mobile device only or are some cross-platform with normal pc?

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:05PM Beau Hindman said

@h4ngedm4n TibiaME, Travians, Illyriad, Parallel Kingdom, Die2Nite, Vendetta Online, OnLive, World of Midgard, Glitch, Warspear Online all have a web or PC version. Check out the sites.

Good luck!

Beau

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:07PM Phenomen said

I played Die2Nite in browser a while ago and it's cool. But I can't find app on Android Market D: Any help?

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:08PM Beau Hindman said

@Phenomen It just runs in your browser...so, no app needed! :)

It might have some Flash elements though, which would stop it from being played on iOS.

Beau

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:53PM mael said

@Phenomen

I love die2nite i even subbed for a 1 month great concept .

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:15PM Crapplebag said

Order and Chaos is quite an amazing feat for a phone and it's by far the closest thing to a standard pc mmo, but why did they have to make it such a wow clone!? I dont' care if they mimic the game mechanics but the art work, races, and classes are just a direct rip. However the quest text is surprisingly good.

I think I actually have more fun in Pocket and Star Legends. I love the instant grouping. I wish more PC mmo's had this. Sometimes I dont' want to talk to people and I just want a grouping experience that I can take or leave when I want. Closest thing to this are the public quests in Warhammer or Rifts in Rift I guess.

Infinite Black is reminiscent of Eve and fairly polished for a beta IMO. But it's pretty boring unless you get in a Corporation (kinda like Eve). Definitely has potential and seems to have a pretty hardcore player base already.

Thanks for the list! I'll definitely be checking a few of these out.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:43PM Stanzig said

Referral code for Illyriad. If you happen to use it I'll send you some resources :D

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 9:19PM J45neoboy said

Sorry, didn't read all of it, got about half way done before I just had to post this comment:

Are any of them free or have a trial? I'm skeptical about investing money into a mobile MMO that I dunno if I will play or enjoy how it works.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 3:21AM (Unverified) said

I have to admit, I have wondered about these games. I know the cash shops are a big thing, or at least seem to be. Not to mention you hear stories about charges from within the game that you didn't mean to make or are easy to make accidentally.

How reputable are these games and the developers behind them? Are they on the same level as say Blizzard or SOE or ArenNet when it comes to giving them account information?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 6:04AM FrostPaw said

I think it's ironic if you asked a pc gamer (the traditional platform for mmos) the size of their monitor, they would read off some widescreen giant or even multiple monitors. Unyet people are content to play games on these tiny little screens squinting at the image for hours....

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:12AM Ref Minor said

@FrostPaw
That's because it's gameplay that matters most. A lot of big games studios have forgotten that in their rush to fill giant screens with hi def graphics.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 8:13AM Ref Minor said

Hey Beau,
Have you tried the open beta of Traveller AR yet?

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014