Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:15PM dudes said

Understandable. In these austere times company's will have to keep to their strengths.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:20PM Joshua Przygocki said

Nice tags Justin.

Any word on how DAWN of Fantasy is doing? I was kinda enjoying it until a bug happened that wouldn't me build anymore. After the devs not doing anything about it I went back worn and wary a week later and decided to start a new city... Still couldn't do anything.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:26PM koolaroo said

This anoyes me to no end I have been waiting for this game forever but jagex choses to focus on some dumb transformers tie-in instead. Stupid jagex.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:45PM Joaquin Crowe said

@koolaroo at least is doesn't look like it's based on bayformers. That would be a complete tragedy.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:45PM PhelimReagh said

Just so folks know, about 2-3 years ago development costs on Stellar Dawn, when it was last "cancelled/paused" were listed in the "10s of million of pounds". That puts development costs circa 2009 at around $30+ million US. Fast forward 2-3 years of development, and they've got to be well above $50 million USD for a browser-based Java game that would be "Stellar Dawn".

For a small studio, that's a helluva lot of money to piss away. Explains why RuneScape subscription fees jumped from $6 to $8 per month.

Seems like Jagex is in quite a bit of trouble at the moment.

All of this because Jagex can't fit their vision of the game into a browser-based Java game. Yet they'll keep trying, instead of opting for a more robust proprietary client.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 8:05PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@PhelimReagh

i can't wait and hope they do it. just so people like you eat crow.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 12:16AM PhelimReagh said

@(Unverified)
This game has been under development since 2007. 5 years. Go ahead and hold your breath.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:29PM Catsar said

Any coincidence that a couple of months jagex sold out to a US investment firm. Now they are dropping their new IP to focus on a transformers browser based, film tie in.

Looks like the bean counters have taken firm control of the reins

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 5:10PM PhelimReagh said

@Catsar
Jagex's original owners finalized selling the controlling stake in Jagex to American investors over a year ago.

I would guess that the Gower brothers sold the investors on the fact that Stellar Dawn was further along development-wise and more viable than it clearly was. If not for the investor's infusion of cash a year ago, I'm guessing Stellar Dawn would have been shelved back then. That's why the Americans paid over $100 million for their stake in the company.

If I was the investors, I'd be pretty pissed off that I bought into a gaming company and that the next game in the pipeline is so obviously effed up after $50 million+ in development it's been shelved until the company can claw back into the black financially.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:34PM J45neoboy said

Soo.....they canceled Mechscape for this and are pretty much cancelling this game?

Such a shame. I'd have played this game too if it wasn't as grindy as Runescape(It was a fun game though). Oh well.