Posted: Mar 1st 2012 6:50PM Space Cobra said

I really need to re-visit the boards and welcome him back.

I've had some short recent stints in the game, but need to get on more. Another game has been occupying my time ftm.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 10:06PM The Grand Nagus said

Still no ETA on Klingons. Not even a rough estimate. Not even a year they hope to have them "done"(note the quotes for those who say 'MMOs are never done'). They really need to get a firm plan together to deal with this issue and stop constantly avoiding it and pushing if farther and farther back.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 11:01PM (Unverified) said

How about you make it an RPG? I have a lvl 50 and a 40 and I don't feel I know either of them. My crew is similarly faceless.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:31AM StClair said

@(Unverified)
How about making up your own stories? I've written bios for all four of my captains AND their bridge officers, and in some cases even imagined extra "episodes" that are part of their history. Not one started out the way the official tutorial says, and the only one that's "really" an Admiral (rather than a level 50 Captain) has a career that goes back to the Dominion War.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 8:09AM ZenD said

@(Unverified)

Some of the highly-rated Foundry missions have a lot of opportunity for RP in terms of choosing how your character responds, based on the sort of personalities you see them developing. One of the best parts of the game IMO.

How you want your character to develop is for you to decide, not for the devs. Otherwise it's just a standard single player RPG with a predefined hero.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:19AM Tom in VA said

@(Unverified)

You've hit on my biggest frustration with STO.

The IP TV shows and movies were all character-driven, whereas the bridge crew(s) in this game are essentially mindless automatons. Yeah, sure, you can make up personalities for them, but if the game offered bridge crew members with personalities (as Bioware might have done), as well as the make-your-own robot officers currently in the game, I'd opt for the "personality" versions in a heartbeat.

Even the heroes in Guild Wars had more personality and story relevance than STO's bridge officers (and better AI, imo), and that game is much older than STO.

It's not going to happen now, I know, but I wish STO had elected to have a handful of bridge officers with actual backstories, personalities, etc.

The whole STO experience would have been a lot more enjoyable to play, imo. It'd be difficult for me to go back now to STO's bridge officers after adventuring with the personality-rich companions of SWTOR.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 1:26PM StClair said

@Tom in VA
Whereas predefined BOs would have bugged the heck out of me, especially since every character would probably have (a subset of) the same ones. I already get some of that with duty officers.

It would be fun to go on an Authentic Star Trek Adventure with a fully-voiced and familiar crew from one of the shows, sure, but they'd never be my crew; I'd just be a special guest star in one of their episodes. Or in games like KOTOR or Mass Effect, you're locked into a cast of characters and an overstory; you get to choose who goes in your party and which set of tracks to take to a narrow range of outcomes, but that's all. I'd rather create my own crew and my own stories within the setting.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:52PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Tom in VA I'd love it if they had a vocal customization feature like baldur's gate, where you had 8 or so voices to choose from, they your group would randomly speak in certain situations. Given that was way back in the 90's, they should be able to have some kind of digital realtime manipulation of the audio (within limits) to pitch, etc for even more "voices."

They already have voice actors come in for the FE's, tacking some extra time shouldn't be too costly if they're already there to perform.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 11:40AM Deliverator said

My biggest question would be why they turned the whole game into a Ferengi Casino. I'd just redownloaded it too, all excited about the mission creator. You can still sub to the game, but you sure can't remove the F2P from it.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:54PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Deliverator I just ignore the box b.s., if anything it made a bunch of c-store items that I wouldn't have bought otherwise dirt cheap on the auction house.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:55PM Daemodand said

Having finally tried this game, I have to say it's much more fun than I thought it would be.