Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:00PM Corso said

While I love what this game COULD be, there are so many issues that should've been fixed in beta that are still a part of everyday playtime, it's hard to be excited about this.

I mean, 10 game updates, this will be 3 DLC packs, and various patches, and we still can't customize our chat colors without them defaulting on every log-in. C'mon, SOE... that's pretty bush league for an MMO company.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 10:41PM Furdinand said

@Corso Yeah, that's a legitimate reason to not like a game not matter how fun the actual game play and content is.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 11:47PM Protoavis said

@Corso

I don't have that issue with mine. Custom channels sometimes disappear but most of the time when I log in the chat colors are what I set them as.

I've been playing since f2p hit but not so much anymore, the community is pretty messed up and constantly bItch at each other.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:38AM iseeit said

I'm a lifetime subscriber here and I have been playing CO and COH for a decade combined. DCUO is by far the superior product in terms of how fun the content is, and how fun actually playing your character is. With that said however...

Unfortunately it feels like the devs have a plan for this game, but all of us are left in the dark. So they could have a whole host of events, fixes, new concepts etc planned for 2012 but we don't know a thing about it. We find out about major changes literally last second even though they have a test server. The Devs have all of these resources available to them (test server, etc) but they never use to it actually gauge what players will enjoy or what they won't and what they game needs/doesn't need.

Of the three super hero MMOs I am a subscriber of, this one consumes the overwhelming majority of my time. It could be so much better and it pisses me off that for what ever reason it's not. It feels like SOE is trying to make money with this game while spending the absolute minimum in terms of money for artists/developers/content designers etc.

You visit the marketplace for the game for styles, which you know it's a comic book themed game... You would expect it to have hundreds of things to choose from to costume yourself therefore earning the devs money... It's BAREN. It's like DC comics itself has a choke hold on the devs and it doesn't let them create even the most basic costumes for heroes and villains to wear. They don't even let us have a green lantern logo on our chest... The other two MMOs literally wish they had access to DC comics to draw on all this lore but DCUO has that access and for what ever reason it's gagged by DC comics. The styles and costumes we have in game are absolutely shameful too.

I could just go on and on pointing out all the ways this game could be improved but what's the point. I love this game and will be playing it for quite some time but that isn't to say it is living up to it's potential. Supposedly the game has found massive success with the F2P conversion (which is true, people are all over the place) but it feels like their isn't enough developers creating stuff.

So here it is, DLC 3... The end of the braniac theme that's been going on for a year. What's inside DLC 3 to finish this story arc? Get this... Two raids: One of them that has an achievement to finish it in under 20 minutes and the other for 15 minutes. You would expect the final encounter to be longer then 15 minutes but what do I know right?

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 6:39AM iseeit said

@Protoavis

I set my colors up months ago and they still haven't reverted back so I don't know what that other guy is talking about. But the /LFG channel is pathetic and undependable. Sometimes it takes a dozen tries of constantly trying to connect to it other times I can't connect to it for days.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:57AM Corso said

@Furdinand Actually, it kind of is. I don't understand why guys like you look down at me for expecting a product that I have been paying for since launch (and was in the beta before that) have the basics working correctly. A company (who specializes in MMO's) that can't get the little things fixed (in OVER A YEAR'S time) SHOULD get criticized. Instead of being a sheep/fanboy, you should support me if you actually like the gameplay. If they can't fix the little things, do you actually have faith in them?

(I should point out that I'm on PS3 primarily. I know PC doesn't have that issue.)

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:42AM Yellowdancer said

@Protoavis

You just described every MMO community since Ultima Online.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:49AM Yellowdancer said

@iseeit

I think the test server isn't used because they don't have enough time between updates to fiddle with the thing. It would probably slow down the dev cycle and they are pushing things out month to month these days. They only used that test server when they were testing Mega Servers.

Yes, DC has really put the devs on lockdown. They've said that many times but no one seems to believe them.

I think the lack of content on the marketplace might be a policy thing. EQ2 probably puts the most stuff in their marketplace but even they don't put a lot on the market compared to the other hybrid games. No one gives credit to SOE for that. They really balance how much they put on the store vs how much they put in the game for free.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 2:17PM kalipou134 said

@Yellowdancer

Don't give them too much credit, the real reason they don't use the store that much is because of the PS3 version of the game.

Ps3 users don't like too much F2P gimmicks in their games

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 5:27PM silver001 said

@kalipou134

You statement doesn't make a lot of sense. Actually it goes more like you don't got a clue what you are talking about. Console users are actually more likely to accept gimmicks than MMO PC players, just look at the stuff they sell on xbox live and PSN.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 9:08PM iseeit said

@kalipou134

Their are many cases which prove you're wrong, google is your friend. Console users have always and will always be more open to spending money via marketplaces or DLCs. I think the oblivion horse armor is still selling to this day, and all it did was reskin a horse.

What we are talking about here is the fact that in this comic book super hero themed game, the marketplace should be flooded with various styles. Not only is the marketplace barren, but the in game style selection is extremely thin compared to it's competitors.

The only thing that could justify that is either A) DC comics itself has a gag over the devs and has done since the begining or B) Theirs only one artist in their team when their should be dozens.

The sad part of all this is they are hamstringing themselves; they are the ones loosing out because people aren't buying styles from their marketplace.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014