Posted: Mar 1st 2012 7:52PM (Unverified) said

I only just recently noticed that the Global Chat column disappeared along with Rubi. I really enjoyed that column and how it highlighted the well-thought out comments from a week, including the comments from articles that I wouldn't have read. Any chance to see it come back? Maybe get one of the writers to take up the column.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 7:54PM Krelian said

Where's Karen ? I DEMAND Karen's answer !

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:19PM J45neoboy said

How likely is it that we'll hear news of ArcheAge at GDC?

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 2:52PM Jef Reahard said

@J45neoboy

Not very.

XLGAMES isn't attending GDC.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 3:51AM smartstep said

I tried many mmorpg's ,but almost all of them I stopped playing withing hours or at best days.

I am 'serial monogamist' and I am sticking to one title for long time - long months at least or even years.

That's one of reasons (among many others) why I found f2p and freemium games NOT really to my liking. With my level of commitment they are not very good for me. Of course someone may have diffrent opinion.

That's why I like PURE p2p games.

Going to check GW2 to get an opinion on their b2p model in mmorpg.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 9:30AM Space Cobra said

Beta is Better! (TM)

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 4:48PM Yarr said

@Space Cobra - I miss my old Sony superBETA Hi-Fi VCR. That thing outlasted several VHS units and I sold it for almost exactly what I bought it for new! Last I heard it was still cranking along at a video production service. Ah, for the days when videos didn't seem to have compression artifacts all over the place, even if the resolution was a bit limited. ;-)

The reason digital won out was because analog only had two faction PvP, and digital is just a solo theme-park for casuals. :)

Posted: Mar 3rd 2012 1:18AM Space Cobra said

@Yarr

Yeah, I still have my two (in fact, I think one of them is the lower model). Both still work, but I don't use them much. Still got tapes.

I really liked Laser Disc and, being a bit of a videophile, I prefer it to DVD. I just like the analog sense of it all. It's easier, IMO, to lose one's self in movies. Some do so with the "realistic" digital format, but that can be too jarring to me (especially mixed with so-so CGI that is too clear, even when moving fast on screen). For me, it's harder to get into the "suspension of disbelief" mindset as it is with analog. And heck, I saw a digital/remastered cable version of Clint Eastwood's, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" and to me, that movie just suffers because it is too crystal clear.

The trouble with such clarity, beside "suspending disbelief" is you can see various mistakes clearly as well, either on set or on CGI.

Anyway, enough video rant!

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:20AM potaco said

Nice choice of question :)

For me, it seems like back around 2005, it was easy to be completely enthralled with a single game (WoW). Nowadays, there are so many more options that it is just impossible to have the same kind of "dedication". Beau brought up a good point that this "dedication" or "loyalty" isn't really important to have, but I think a lot of people miss the closeness of that kind of loyal community.

I understand that a lot of the memories are due to the fact that (in general) WoW is the game that brought MMOs into the mainstream. No matter what comes out now, it's not going to match that wonder and amazement. Instead, people will always want more, expect more, and move onto the next best thing (which is probably only a couple months away at any given time).

I'm not a writer for any kind of gaming site, so there are no outside forces influencing my MMO choices. I thought it'd be interesting to see how people who ARE expected to know the details of many games (for general news purposes) and specific games (for weekly game-specific columns) handle it.... so thanks to everyone for answering.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:41AM Seffrid said

Beau summed up my position very well when he said:

"It's also important to note that you can actually maintain several titles over time. Sure, it might take you a year to hit the halfway point, while other people hit max level in five months, but who would want to burn through content that fast anyway? I feel bad for any player who spent $60 or more on a title like Star Wars: The Old Republic only to have burned through every quest or class within a few months. What's the point? I find my exposure to all of these titles to be exactly what I want."

I'm totally committed to SWTOR, for example, but my main is only 23. That's not just because I have a number of characters on both sides, but mainly because I'm juggling it with LoTRO, Skyrim, Rift, Fallout New Vegas (just got the Ultimate edition discounted with all the DLC included), Fallen Earth and EQ2 (although that is cancelled and on hold until SOE clarify my future status as a European player).

I sometimes get slightly bored with a game to the point of playing something else for a while, but I never get truly burnt out on either a particular game or the genre in general, and those that do need to step back and resist the temptation to play every new thing for 8 hours a day 7 days a week under some delusion that it's a race to the end.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 2:35PM Joshinu said

In regards to the image for the post. I work at a video production company and we actually have a Betamax deck for dubbing them to DVD. We get like one or two a year. I lol'd a bit when I saw that.

As far as playing multiple titles is concerned I'm in the boat that isn't able to pay for more than one or two sub mmo's at once. However, I do have DCUO and APB Reloaded on my computer that I will mess around with from time to time. Though my graphics card blew up (quite literally) in my gaming PC so I can't play anything but WoW at the moment (cause I have a Macbook Pro that I'm using right now). I usually will stick with one game for the most part until I complete a goal that I have and then go to another one and hop around. Though, once I get my computer up and running again I will be playing multiple titles and switching between them more often due to the fact that I have discovered the joys of livestreaming gameplay.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 10:00PM J45neoboy said

Here's a question:

Will it be more likely that we will see a US publisher announced before or after ArcheAge's launch in Asia?

Hands-on with Windborne's early access