Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:10AM LA1111 said

I really wanted this to be MY game, in the way that WoW was for so many people for so long. I appreciate what S-E is trying to do to fix the game, and I really do like what Yoshi-P is doing. I still follow the game and its updates rather frequently, but I don't play anymore. 2.0 looks very promising. Here's hoping FFXIV blossoms into the game I know it can be. There is so much potential.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:16AM Unshra said

Wont lie, once FFXIV adds male Miqo'te I will be resubscribing assuming they stick to their concepts and design the males like they are in FFXI and not like some Thunder Cat reject. :-P

But right now I refuse the play the game only to have to delete my character in order to re-roll or fork over more cash for the "privilege" of making another character.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:41AM Arcline said

@Unshra

I believe that they're allowing all characters to re-specialize their gender, race, etc when they release 2.0, so you can level a character now, and change it into a male mi'qote later.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 2:52PM Khalus said

@Unshra

Dunno if you saw this yet, but here is concept art of what the Male Miqo'te will look like:

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:20PM JuliusSeizure said

@Khalus

Oh, that's niiice! Slender and a total prettyboy but not at all weak looking or feminine.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:19AM Arkanaloth said

My first MMO was FFXI. My first MMO I fell in love with is GuildWars.

I often said about FFXI that "I love the world but hate the game", so when they announced FF14 I was *SERIOUSLY* looking forward to the game... I *REALLY* wanted to love it, I was so certain I bought *TWO* collectors editions (one for me, one for the wife).

... Talk about a let down.

I sincerely hope they turn the game around with 2.0, but I will not be playing it even if they do because GuildWars2 will likely be out by then and I have TOR and unless they seriously screw up GW2 it's going to overshadow even the mighty TOR in my eyes.

.. but for those waiting and hoping, here's to FFXIV becoming the game your patience deserves.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:27AM hami83 said

I liked FFXIV.
I didn't like it enough to sub when that came around.
I'm a little excited for 2.0.
I may sub for that.

We'll see. I'm enjoying Rift right now.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:30AM Valentina said

It's a good thing to recognize what you like and love about these games, regardless of what other people may say, or how they may view it. There's something about much of the MMO community that makes them quite unforgiving, and quick to write off a title based on minor things. So when a game faces significant challenges in it's initial release it snowballs into a bigger and bigger issue, much of which may be true, but also plenty that is over-exaggerated. Many people today seem to get off on trolling these games hard, and discouraging people from ever trying the game out for themselves, and this is partially why we don't have as many "hugely successful" MMO's.

I've never tried FFXIV, I want to one day but I just haven't really gotten around to it. I'm an avid SW:TOR player and have been watching GW2 closely for years. Occasionally I visit the FFXIV website and look at some of what's being done with the game, and one day I will try it out as it does look really interesting. Here's hoping that it sees a successful turnaround in the future!

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:30AM Skooljester said

I loved FFXI mainly because of all the classes there were and the ability to be almost anything you wanted and to play any way you wanted. I was incredibly excited for FFXIV, but was completely let down by the general lack of classes. I loved all the obscure classes from FFXI, not too common, maybe viewed as more cult classes, but the mechanics were somewhat different and that made them fun. Then comes FFXIV with its typical MMO classes, doing away with everything I loved in the previous. No PUP or BLU class, my two favourites from the previous.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:24PM JuliusSeizure said

@Skooljester

All the classes FFXI started with were MMO standards. In fact, they were more standard and less interesting than some of the ones in FFXIV so far.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:30AM Softserve said

I think FFIV always had some good ideas, which is why I bought it. But I just couldn't get past the horrible design and UI decisions that got in the way of the player every step of the way. I think this could be said objectively -- the UI and general interaction setup of this game was terrible. I work a lot with UCD and it's like no human being was consulted while it was originally put together.

They've made some major strides. I was playing it on and off throughout the updates while everything was free. And while I am now very optimistic about the title, I just can't bring myself to pour money into it yet. Maybe later this year when more adjustments are made.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:30AM Softserve said

@Softserve Sorry, XIV!

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 12:03PM Vimana said

Man this article made we want to try it again. I don't know if I am stupid or what but I can't figure out how to re-sub or download the game. The main site won't let me put in my key again. The options are obtuse at best. They need a "try it again" button or something.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 12:09PM (Unverified) said

If it's plural, use are instead of is.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 1:53PM edgecrusherO0 said

I've been meaning to try this out at some point. Really want to wait till the 2.0 launch, but with each update my desire to play it grows. Was mildly interested in it despite the insanely poor launch (mechanically the game was just too painful for me to play). Great article.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 2:15PM Maseno said

• Half a heart
I will play when this game goes F2P. Until then, not worth the sub.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 2:36PM Xo1o said

Gathering/Crafting was one of the activities I enjoyed in FF11 and 14 and no other game. It's true that 11 and 14 have a unique feeling to them and it is partly because of the extra work you have to put into things. I have more fond memories of my Mithra Thief from FF11 which I only played for a year, than I have of my Mage in WoW which I played almost 5 years.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 3:23PM (Unverified) said

Spot on the game at launch was to be honest a bit shit now its a bit epic :D

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 3:35PM kismet137 said

• Half a heart
FFXIV isn't worth the sub. The only things about it worth telling anyone about are the story, visuals, and maybe the combat (in that exact order). The rest is either typical of most MMORPGs, general unimpressive, or flat-out sucks. If it was F2P I'd continue to have interest in it, but as of now, not worth any of my cash. But knowing SE and how steadfast they are with incorporating and executing bad ideas, things will not change,.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:55PM deadborder said