Posted: Feb 29th 2012 8:07PM Bladerunner83 said

A sandbox in my definition is a game that you can literally do whatever you want. You can build anything and everything you want. You can create and destroy any creature, object, and/or reasonably tangible video game item. You can travel to anywhere and everywhere you want in the game, without limitations. A game were role-playing comes naturally, and people can develop their own government without pre-set structures. A game were players develop the lore, leaving room to create their own conflicts between themselves. NO ITEM MALLS, I should be able to make anything and everything I want without having to buy it from an item mall.

I don't expect to see anything come close to this in my lifetime. If I'm going to call it a sandbox, I better be able to do anything within the limits of my imagination. We have the power to make games like this, sadly profit is the only motivator.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 9:45PM Bramen said

Themepark mmo = Democrats and Republicans.

Sandbox mmo = Ron Paul.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:52PM Softserve said

@Bramen A MMO that runs as a Republican and uses Libertarian ideology when convenient?

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:35AM (Unverified) said

@Bramen Ron Paul IS a republican.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:36AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Ron Paul - a sandbox purist who plays WOW

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 12:03AM (Unverified) said

To me, sandbox means weighting towards user-generated content. Tools should be provided to assist, not guide players.

Chiefly I think this means that crafting makes the best gear, there is very little 'questing' from NPCs, and there are tools available for open-world player creations, like housing or EVE's space stations.

Sandboxes also imply higher learning curves, due to the smaller amount of being told what to do. Instead you are told "Do anything!" and left to your own devices.

It's called a sandbox because a box full of sand is boring until someone starts building castles in it.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 2:20AM Lionhearted said

I think there's two mixes:

1. Tradeskilling is as viable a 'main' path as exp'ing, and the tradeskill game is fun and meaningful.

2. Character "classes" are loose or even nonexistent and there's many paths to take along the way. That could be an original SWG method of doing it, or even a Guild Wars style with a class and sub class and creating a wide mix of skills that need to be use strategically, while de-emphasizing the importance of levels.

3. Some combination of both.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 11:37AM Vanpry said

That comment was more towards mob and zone design then really anything else. Once the designer thinks out every fight it takes away my ability to think outside the box. It takes away builds (classes) ability to do something that the developer didn't design. It really becomes a game on the rails with no deviation from the developers plan.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014