Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:08PM (Unverified) said

My personal favorite iteration of Everquest. So pure and not cluttered with xp packs and what not. Also one of the first games I ever beta tested.

You will be missed :(

(Make it f2p with ps3 capabilities and you will stike gold soe!)

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:13PM JohnD212 said

While this is sad I give SOE credit for keeping it going this long. Good for them. Giving that 3 mos. of Gold membership is also really really great customer care. I just might jump back into EQII to show my support for their choices.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:15PM Omali said

Very disappointed but not entirely unsurprising given that the game went out of circulation a long time ago.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:17PM edgecrusherO0 said

Sad to see a game shut down, but this was a long time coming. I'm actually surprised they kept it running for so long.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:56PM Space Cobra said

Yeah, this is surprising, but not totally unexpected.

They probably should have made this available to play on the PS3 (Well, it sorta is for first-gen Phat models).

If one Everquest has to "go", this would be my choice. It is sad, but it's time to sunset this world, folks. Unless, you want to start a letter-writing campaign to SOE and prove everyone else wrong in thinking this?

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 5:04PM dudes said

Gotta love the 'buy it' link next to the farewell message. Business is business. Au revoir EQOA.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 5:15PM henbot said

lots of things happening over at SOE, I wonder if they're lining up to sell the business or just cleaning the slate in these hard financial times.

Management changes next is my bet.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:00AM BaronYiffington said

@henbot Management has been changing already. Lead developer of EQ2 was changed last month.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:01PM mrantimatter said

I quit said game many a year ago, had a 55 Geomancer and 58 Barb Rogue.

It was, an interesting experiment that just had too many bad ideas. No HDD support ment a very limited number of armor and weapons in the game, as well as poor visuals and a bad draw distance for enemies/players.

Raiding was always a mess, as everything had dmg shields, making melee classes worthless, and the limited memory meant you often couldn't even see what you were fighting.

Limited numbers of quests also mean tis was one giant, endless grind.

But the players were fun to hang with, none the less. I'd love to see them revist the concept, this time giving the full mmo experience and not cutting any corners/casualizing the game.

also, bring back champions of Norrath..those games were fun as hell.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:25PM Corso said

Personally I'd love to see this go the way of EQMac instead. I'd come back if they dropped the monthly charge and just left the server up. Loved this game back when, just got tired of paying for next to no updates.

If not... EQOA, you will be missed by many.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:41PM Miffy said

• Half a heart
I tried it on a PS" when I had one and it was horrible, there was no one playing it even when it came out, the graphics were so dated, the UI was bad and the world lacked any detail....

It flopped so bad too.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:33AM mrantimatter said

@Miffy
They improved things a bit over time, especially the ui and such, but they never seemed to do anything about the massive grind. That's really what killed it.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 7:29PM VixWars said

My first MMO many years ago. I still remember grinding on "lizard island" for 24 hours straight. Lots of great memories, starting my ranger in Surefall Glade, chasing friends through Freeport, raiding Neriak. Some regrettable memories, but that comes with every MMO you fully immerse yourself in. To EQOA, you will be missed.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 7:30PM VixWars said

My first MMO many years ago. I still remember grinding on "lizard island" for 24 hours straight. Lots of great memories, starting my ranger in Surefall Glade, chasing friends through Freeport - raiding Neriak. Some regrettable ones memories, but that comes with every MMO you fully immerse yourself in. To EQOA, you will be missed.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:42PM (Unverified) said

This was my first MMO! Sad to see it go but frankly I'm amazed it's still around...

It was great fun back in the day, there were a ton of people playing it for the first year or so... I quit to go to FFXI and I remember hearing later that they were basically down to one server...

Ah well, I still have some great memories of EQOA, and I always will.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 12:10AM Jenks said

I always wanted to try this game, but never owned a PS2. I guess I'll never get the chance.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 1:20AM ShivanSwordsman said

... Am I the only one that noticed the character "Lina" in this screenshot is a mage dressed in red robes flinging fire...?

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 1:54AM Snookers said

I think I'm going to cry..

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 2:11AM Lionhearted said

I think they should have doubled down and ported the sucker onto Sony Playstation's online store. Think of how many new players will be coming to the franchise between the F2P moves and EQ: next. I have to imagine 50-100k people would download a game like that, esp if the download was free.

Anyway, that's my gut feeling. The console market is wide open for MMOs and Sony had a chance with even a title as old as that.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 9:35AM mrantimatter said

@Lionhearted

Not worth the money, really, not for a game with such a smaller userbase and so many innate problems with the design. Would be more effective to plan a proper sequel for the ps4.

WoW Archivist: Epics