Posted: Feb 29th 2012 12:43PM DeadlyAccurate said

I was impressed with the starter zone when I tried last year, but as soon as I went to the main island, I was so underwhelmed I quickly uninstalled. Instead of quests with story elements, it was just "go bring me 5 [x]." I'd never had a game splat so quickly and thoroughly.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 1:30PM avidlurker said

@DeadlyAccurate
The Silan quests are meant as a tutorial. They are not the beginning of a quest driven game play like it's found in other games.

On the mainland the most easily found quests are more of an utility type.
You have fame missions that you do not so much because you care for them but to increase your fame (cult fame for teleport access, civilisation fame for better deals at merchants, that sort of stuff) or to make a few dappers.

There are more elaborate story missions but they can be harder to find.
I believe they can even hand out more standard rewards, my guild leader has a launcher from one.

While I'm new to Ryzom, it seems a lot of the story is driven by events.
Just recently I attended the funeral of the Fyros emperor, but missed the coronation event of the new one as I was on a boss hunt.

Posted: Mar 30th 2012 7:31AM Khanadir said

@DeadlyAccurate Ryzome doesn't try to "make" you do anything. You have to direct yourself to a great extent. Mainland quests are generally not part of or leading to any epic sagas. They are just little tasks, some to help you develop you skills, some to give you a little money or fame. But to enjoy Ryzom, you will have to set your own goals. Do you want to be a mighty warrior? Then do that. Or a crafter of rare items? Do that. Perhaps a mighty and powerful Mage...it's all up to you! :)

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 1:51PM avidlurker said

Re: Customization of abilities and resource pools:
you have a 4. pool: your HP

It is pretty standard for casters to use both HP and Sap to fuel their casts.
This is also possible for melees though perhaps sometimes less desirable unless you have good faith in your healers.

Sap can be made use of as a melee via enchanted weapons.
A good option is an emergency heal on your melee weapon to be able to heal-back your healer.
Other options include an offensive nuke spell or perhaps an affliction if you want to add a CC ability to your melee build.

Melees also have additional credit options like "after critical hit" or "after parry" that give a nice credit at the cost of situational applicability.

Later on you get extra options like a circular attack for melees or various multiple target effects that you can mix into your spell repertoire.

I frequently find myself slightly modifying my melee abilities according to mob I'm fighting.
If it's much higher level: more accuracy to hit it
At lower levels: more damage
Has it got too much regeneration: in goes the bleed

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:55PM Graill440 said

Plusses for Ryzom, Boob slider!, a decent attempt at a real economy, things wear, even the very top of the line stuff. i agree with the article totally. A great game that tried to take it to the next social level and that killed it, everything was dependant on having another person with you, from harvesting to fighting. Even the game rooms and saunas were boring after first investigation without having friends to chat with.

Couple this with next to no population and i see this game continuing to do what it is, dying that slow death.

Sigh, i miss my high end hooker armor.

Posted: Mar 30th 2012 7:26AM Khanadir said

@Graill440 Where have you been playing Grail? I am always seeing people where ever I go? Meeting people is easy, they are all around you. If you want to play solo, you can, but you have to learn how to "get around" in Atys, it is a deadly place. And of course it is not a perfect world, it is a computer simulation and you have to suspend some of your disbelief, just like you do to enjoy a movie.

Posted: Mar 30th 2012 7:20AM Khanadir said

Re: "The whole system of debits and credits for new abilities makes sense in the abstract, but it's covered in strange restrictions such that you know how to add a cooldown to make an ability balance, but it's not a cooldown for the right sort of ability, so you can't even put together something as simple as a strong attack with a 30-second cooldown."

This is not exactly true. Spells, melee attacks, Foraging actions and crafting actions don't have cool downs. The "recharge" time most gamers are accustomed to is front loaded into the casting time. You can add a casting time stanza (and your spells usually come with one, which most people delete immediately). So you could make a spell with a long casting time to make it more powerful. it would make a nice opening attack.

And the restrictions aren't actually restrictions. Lets say you want to throw a baseball 1 meter, it takes less energy than throwing it 50 meters. Likewise casting a spell of greater power, range or capability will require more energy, thus more stanzas to make the cost and output balance.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past