Posted: Feb 29th 2012 3:41PM Heathengamer said

Been waiting some time for this, as i know a many gamers have as well. I really enjoy AO, and i think a revamp (hopefully soon) would do it a great service.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 3:49PM Yellowdancer said

I tried downloading this but had issues. I will try again this weekend.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 3:55PM Seffrid said

The link didn't work for me (IE9).

I would say I was looking forward to the graphic update if only I hadn't been doing so for so long...

I guess the reason why the new server is intended to last another 10 years is because that's how long it'll be before the much promised and as yet never delivered graphics update will take!

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:22PM dulfy said

Played AO before - it was a pretty fun up to a certain point - I never made the grind to 220 or whatever they have now. I got bored just killing those rocks over and over in shadowlands (I think it was called) to grind xp. That graphic update has being in the works for many many years, hopefully it comes out soon lol.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:58PM PhoenixII said

I've been playing this game for ages and this is great news. It's been a long time since they announced the new engine so I am hoping it actually does come out in the near future. AO is a fantastic game that would benefit greatly from the kind of improvements that are mentioned in that update (server merge, and also a new starter zone in particular - many people never seem to leave the current one because it's a bit confusing for newbies.)

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 5:01PM (Unverified) said

Oh no, Funcom. You're not getting me with the ol' "The new graphics engine is nearly done!" thing again. Keep your shiny screenshots, I've been hurt too often before.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 5:25PM Cavadus said

Haven't they been advertising the switch to the new engine for like five years now?

LOL, I'll care when they release it.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:01PM Wild Colors said

Is this using a version of the dreamworld engine being used for AoC and TSW?

If so, maybe all the delays have been because that engine keeps improving/changing so quickly...

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 6:09PM Lateris said

@Wild Colors yes it is the same engine. I cant wait!

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 7:54PM Dagget said

Some select comments from the discussion thread following the monthly letter:

(basically my back-and-forth with the Game Producer)

They're getting there but it's amazing what bureaucracy can do in a company.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 8:34PM Greve said

@Dagget Just thought I might weight in on the issue; Funcom has an notoriously bad marketing department which, in my opinion, is damaging the companies profile both to consumers and news outlets.

I've been following the development of TSW for a long time and whenever Funcom releases some new info or video/screenshots I always cringe when I see the invisible hands of the marketing department pulling their strings.

They have always been awful and will remain awful.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 9:06PM Dagget said

@Greve On the other hand, knowing that Cube is constructing the video, I have high expectations and doubt even marketing can muck it up (aside from a poorly placed/formulated press release about the video)

Sample of Cube's work on AO from a few years ago:

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 2:20PM Nepentheia said

@Greve

Funcom's marketing department is absolutely their weakest link.

Which is a damned shame, because Funcom has always had developers with tremendous creativity and imagination--especially their world builders (and also their music composers). What Funcom does well, they do very very well--and those qualities should be allowed to speak for themselves.

But the marketing department comes along and perverts and distorts so much of what's really going on with their products--and always to great detriment.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 8:34PM (Unverified) said

I actually (tried) to play this game at launch. It was a horrible mess. Never seen a worse launch of any MMO.

Fortunately, they pulled it together and the game became really good. It is really cool with some of the most inventive classes in gaming. I'll give it another go once the graphics update drops.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 9:04PM jakofascalon said

Hahahah.. how many years have they been working on this graphics overhaul again? Too long frankly. I tried the game.. it was rather boring because there wasn't a whole lot of people in the starting areas. The concept of the game is pretty cool though. I wish they had more ship flying and space combat, less hover-board stuff.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:58PM Clinton O said

ill give them 2 more years and a day until they will release the updated visuals in game

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 2:47AM Marz said

haha, People complain about funcom releasing things to soon and buggy... and they complain when they take their time.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 10:44AM ApathyCurve said

Sorry, but I've been hearing about this for years with nothing but a few wispy vapors for evidence. A video ain't gonna cut it at this point. Put up or shut up.

Posted: Mar 1st 2012 12:53PM Acidbaron said

Engine could've been out earlier but they reworked it a couple of times.

Glad to see it's still being worked on and the game hasn't been dropped like many other mmo companies tend to do when a game hits a certain age.