Posted: Feb 28th 2012 10:23AM Softserve said

I don't need this, but it's not a bad deal at all. The 2000 points is worth about $20 on its own.

It's probably worth noting that this (at least to my understanding) doesn't really include any expansions, not just the two listed. Turbine sells a Mines of Moria quest pack, in addition to the regular Mines of Moria expansion. I believe it's just the former here.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 10:47AM pcgneurotic said

It's such a shame they stopped with the boxes. My original edition LoTRO and Moria look sooo good next to each other, and I was hoping they'd keep going with the same slim, discreet packaging so we could create an echo of our book collections with the game boxes. Plus, having discs is (imho) so much more convenient.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 11:07AM Maseno said

@pcgneurotic

I have a feeling boxes will be a thing of the past rather soon. More and more companies are moving towards digital only releases, and almost all indy companies are already there.

It is a shame for people who like to collect the Collectors Editions since some of them do have some pretty neat stuff. The last CE I bought (sadly) was AoC. I may go dig it up and toss it on my computer just to see how it is now a days. Wonder if they ever got the dunkards cape working...

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 11:37AM smartstep said

@Maseno

CE Box edition will be still avabile at least for more major games.
If people will be able to pay 100-150$+ for them like they do atm , then companies will keep releasing them to earn money.

Normal Box'es hmm they might.

But we might see psychical boxes of older (like at least 2+ years older) games still hitting shelves in malls and supermarkets imo.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 12:31PM Softserve said

@pcgneurotic I'm hoping at some point they go the WOW route with this. WOW might still do this, but I remember back in the day you could spend $1/$2 on a set of discs at the store which let you install the game and sign up for a trial.

Maybe Turbine could print out some DVD sets for this game and just have stands for them at the store. Maybe they're a buck or two to offset cost or maybe they're $5 and include some Turbine Points or something.

I think the download of this game is still significant for newcomers. It's the single biggest hurdle I run into when trying to get friends to play. Something similar to this concept could offset that.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 1:14PM Khalus said

Does it not seem ridiculous that Gamestop of all places are being chosen for an exclusive PC box when they have all but stopped carrying PC games. I mean they still do, kinda, but its not like in the past where they had a huge wall for them.

Nowadays their PC section is a side cap on one of their tiny stands, about 1ft wide by 3ft tall, and usually shoved way back in the rear corner of the store, facing the back wall where nobody can see it!

Granted there are very few brick n' mortar stores that still carry PC games exclusively but there is always Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target in my area that still have an entire isle dedicated to them.

Ah well, not like I was gonna buy this anyway...LOL

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 1:29PM (Unverified) said

@Khalus Gamestop might seem like a strange place, but they are in the business at least of primarily selling games across multiple platforms. And even though the local ones have tiny or nonexistent PC sections, they'll always preorder them for me (which I only do when I decide to trade in console games for PC games).

I don't know where else they would have done this and had the same chance of getting it in front of as many gamers as possible.

This isn't really a 'starter set' since the Path of the Fellowship will get you from 30-60 at worst, and I personally hit 68 before I ever touched Isengard. This is a very complete set, even though there are still zones you'll probably want to unlock for variety's sake.

But yeah, it's a great deal for someone new to the game, as those turbine points will let you unlock enough zone content to bridge the gaps. Still not quite as good a deal if you could get your hands on one of the SoA/Moria boxes (especially back when they were $10!) but this does include the Moria and Lothlorien quest packs in the 'Path of the Fellowship' bundle. You'll get the quests and content, but you won't get the two extra character slots and the Rune Keeper and Warden unlocks that you would get by owning the Moria Expansion itself.

Best course of action for a new player is to pick this up, pay for a month of VIP and make the max number of toons on your account to unlock all their bags and virtue slots, not to mention get the 500 extra TP for that month, then you'll just need to decide which zones you want to unlock with your 2500 TP.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 2:06PM whateveryousay said

@Khalus

Maybe where you live, walmart and best buy have full isles for PC games but where I live it's exactly the same as you described for gamestop. A few games tucked away in the corner.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:55PM TortoiseCan said

The reason they chose gamespot is because they focus on pre-orders. You normally can't pre-order games from large retail chains. The bonus included in pre-ordering this made it a no-brainer for anyone considering it. This gives Turbine a pretty good indicator of how many copies to ship/produce prior to launch. Since it includes multiple disks/manual/keyboard thing/case - there's quite a bit of expense in producing these.

Had they released it to wal-mart, they would have just had to mass produce more copies than they would have probably ended up selling. So basically, this poses much less of a risk for them.

Also, I wish they'd release something like this for people that already own the quest packs or are VIPs, since there's a lot of cool stuff that I'd like here, but not worth the price in this package.