Posted: Feb 28th 2012 3:57PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Here is my "miracle mmo":

1) EvE scale of land control and safe zones, but mixed with DAoC style property control and SWG style property management/city building.

2) 3 Factions, there was something awesome about getting "a** jammed" in an 8man, or going out in gank squads and getting jumped by a third party. Adds another level of excitement.

3) swtor companion crafting system. Instead of combat pets, just pets you get to do all the slave work a normal hero wouldn't be wasting his time with. For those people who want in depth crafting for trade goods can invest in factories and upgrades for a system more akin to swg. This would be a choice when you build the item, if you wanted to customize it and alter advanced properties and stats.

Crafting companions who harvest would be limited to non rares while you harvesting open world would net randoms and rares used for the higher quality schematics/patterns.

PvP crafting system with mats that drop for pvp based objectives. Rarity depends on difficulty of mission/quest involved in.

Advanced crafting would be a lot like the factory and industry in eve. There was something awesome about the fact that there were people who were truckers, builders, manufacturers and they all worked in tandem.

4) SWG Class system, but no one "tree" can be filled for defenses in that class to try and prevent "god templates" like the old (If I remember it right that is) fencer pistoleer bh builds.

5) SWG Spaceship control, mixed with the eve outfitting style system.

Future Item:
Atmospheric flight was up in SWG before it was shut down, don't see why they can't work this into the game at a future date also, once hardware allows large scale battles on the ground while a larger scale battle is happening in the air above you and space above them.

5) C9 combat style. I don't think that Vindictus feels right maybe too clunky, NGE Targeting and Tera style "action" combat don't go far enough. But I was able to check out C9 thanks to a Korean buddy who I know online and the combat is fast paced, feels solid and easy to control and fun.

6) Eve market. Haven't come across one yet with the ability built in to forecast trends, and set market pvp up. If you are a day trader, eve can be fun just playing the market alone when you get into it.

The setting doesn't really matter. Although I wouldn't mind something a bit more futuristic to start, you can always tie in other story lines and expansions that go back and forth between the sci-fi and fantasy genre's via "time gates". This would allow the needed story line expansions and change in game play that would allow people to still play the same game, but maybe alter their experience to be different of the guy sitting right next to them.

Granted like the article says, wouldn't make everyone happy but I would be!!!!

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 3:58PM Threecubed said

I'm so glad to see this on Massively, as it seems that there are so many MMO fans that are so into whatever's new (I've done this too) that we forget that the greatest part of MMOs is their ability to grow and improve over time.
Maybe this is precisely the reason why we latch on to whatever potential MMO-ssiah and spread the good news of its coming. It's not that we are totally fickle, but that we're so in love with the promise of better.

GW2's business model, server-downtime solution and dynamic questing seems really intriguing, TERA's combat looks exciting, SWTOR's storytelling and personal-character attachment is awesome.
There will be (or is) some bad in each game, but there's a bit of this dream MMO we all are lusting for in each of them.

For future releases, I'm hoping that we're temper some of the hype and be willing to be fans of the whole genre, rather than search for the One Game to Rule Them All. That game will likely never come, and I honestly hope it doesn't, because if there ever is a Perfect MMO then the whole point of the genre is kind of gone, isn't it?

P.S. I love that "jesus-mmo" is in the tags.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 5:00PM Space Cobra said

@Threecubed

"P.S. I love that "jesus-mmo" is in the tags."

Has to be a reference to midochlorians because Jesus was "sloppy wit' them"!

At least according to George Lucas! :p

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 3:59PM (Unverified) said

I can tell you as a discontented gamer, with the mmo genre, I keep playing because I want a game I can play with my friends. WoW was as good as it got so far, for myself, but it got old. SWTOR is the game for now, but it is severely lacking. I'm looking forward to GW2.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:09PM scfs123 said

• 1 heart
Guild wars was a miracle MMO though...wasn't it?

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:21PM Daverator said

@scfs123

That is the point of the article. It might have been a miracle MMO for some. But for others it was forgettable. The same is true of probably just about any MMO. Even the "failed" miracles cited. For every person complaining that TOR is terrible, there another in game playing, thinking "this is awesome"

And they both are right.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:27PM dndhatcher said

@scfs123 GW1 was a miracle CORPG. Not truly an MMORPG. The reason I would qualify it as miracle was showing a good, well supported and expanding multiplayer online game with no sub fee was viable.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 5:29PM scfs123 said

@dndhatcher Sums up my train of thought very well.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:16PM Dumac said

Seems to me like you took the subject way too seriously. Obviously I don't know every single person who talks about their miracle MMO but I would say that most of them realize that what their talking about is never going to happen (it wouldn't even if they were the one making the MMO they're talking about) even in their strongest fanboy blackout. It's an interesting topic to talk about, though. I mean miracle MMOs, not the psychology of miracle MMO discussions. :)

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:21PM (Unverified) said

Haha, if this wasn't inspired by GW2's current lol-excitement-mother-of-a-train then I don't know what else did.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:26PM surferx0 said

MMO's are a special case given the level of player involvement is (or should be) way beyond any single player game. If the MMO is good enough, the game itself becomes the hobby, rather than one's hobby being video gaming in general.

This is how the concept of a miracle MMO is born. At some point in our experience, this happened to us, the game itself became the hobby. For me it was WoW but I'm sure everyone has their own game that was able to captivate them in such a way. If not, then you probably aren't in the "miracle MMO" crowd and are better able to see MMO's more objectively as just another video game like this article suggests.

But it doesn't stop many of us from looking for another game to capture our minds and hearts in such a way again. However this is likely impossible given most of us are now grizzled veterans of the genre and our simple enjoyment of adventure and challenge has now turned into more critical analysis of class balance and gameplay mechanics that will never allow us to have as fun and be as immersed into the game as we used to be.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:28PM Eric Francis said

Its not that people dont like a good sandbox game, the success of the grand theft auto series and etc is a testament to that.

Its just theyve all been poorly done, except for eve online and even then.

Just keep your head in the sand and keep telling ya that we just have to get on with the times when every MMO that comes out is a shitty get rich-quick scheme that has 0 originality.

Keep throwing money at those shitty games, im holding on to my money and keeping it for the equivalent of the Doom MMO that sets a up a new bar of quality.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:29PM Borick said

MMOs -are- a miracle, and I've played in a few that were miracles in and of themselves.

EverQuest was a miracle. Here we were, happy in our little text-based MUDspace, ignoring all of the console jockeys with their silly button mashing. No one could possibly take the open, descriptive world of a MU and marry it to a stupid /video game/ and make sales -- but it did.

WoW was a miracle in spite of itself. It proved that not only could you take a MUD and marry it to a video game, you could market greater success out of catering more to console style play than out of the persistent world models.

My friends had to drag me into EQ. I hopped aboard WoW of my own choice. Sometimes you anticipate a miracle and sometimes they just fall in your lap. But to stop expecting miracles to happen just seems dumb.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:30PM Silverangel said

An MMO is an organic entity. Of course a miracle doesn't just appear in a puff of smoke. I disagree with your statement that "these advances aren't just waiting for a group of people to demand it". If enough people demand something, it turns into a business opportunity.

Are you advocating that everyone should be like you are then--"generally content", and never go to a forum except as a "last resort", so never argue anything, never post wishes, never complain, and never report that XYZ is broken? In my view, the real fans of the game are posting in the forums.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 5:44PM grammarye said

@Silverangel
I would argue you're conflating constructive feedback with whining. The two are not the same. Fans of a game asking for 'more & better please' are not the same group as those who exclaim 'this game needs feature X because I love feature X & every game should have feature X!'.

There is a distinction between sticking to a vision that works & catering to your chosen market, vs trying to please everyone and ending up not catering to your chosen market. If games were perfect, we'd only need one for everyone. This is not the case. Sometimes you actually do have to say 'sorry, but the game you want is that one over there'.

People keep saying 'oh but if enough people ask for ...' - but the truth is that they haven't, or we'd see those very same business opportunities happening. Businesses aren't run by fools; if there's opportunity, someone somewhere will go for it. It's so very tempting & alluring to claim that everyone believes the same as we do, but it's not true.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:31PM Tom in VA said

This was a very good article, Justin.

My "miracle MMO" hasn't arrived yet -- and probably never will. I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping for one, though -- or at least hoping for one that has more of the features one likes best.

I love WoW for its scope, its mechanisms, its world creation, it's self-effacing humor, its polish, its LFG system.

I love SWTOR for its voice work, its Star Wars Setting, its efforts to make each class's leveling experience/story unique, its investing NPC pets (i.e., the Companions) with real personality and interesting background stories.

I love GW1, Rift, Aion, and LotRO for their incredibly beautiful virtual worlds and/or armors.

I love STO for its character creation options and its bridge officer-centered mechanisms and, yes, its sci-fi IP.

No MMO has yet fit me perfectly, no, but I have to say GW1, then LotRO (up to Moria at least), WoW (on and off again over the years), and now SWTOR have come closest to being the my holy grail of MMOs -- that perfect blend of MMO mechanisms and role-playing/story-driven goodness.

What bugs me most about the complaining I read in the forums is that so rarely do the complainers ever give any developer or MMO credit for anything they did right.

I, for one, am not a discontented gamer; I am just a gamer looking for more of the features I like within a single game. For now, that game is SWTOR. But if GW2 tells a story as well as SWTOR does, but does so within a more polished, smoother MMO environment, well...

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:33PM VikingGamer said

Not true.
They will come out with
VanGuildStaRiftWars2: the Mists of FinalArchEveAionHammerings Online
Someday... Soon(tm)

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:34PM VikingGamer said

Dang, forgot to work Tera in there somewhere.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 7:53PM dndhatcher said

• 1 heart
Thats kind of the point of the author's article. You wont find an MMO that is everything for everyone.

SWTOR having a million subscribers will teach the exact opposite of what you think they should. You can have a million subscribers for weak gameplay as long as your swords glow.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:46PM Ref Minor said

Remind me, what was Massively's game of the year for 2011?
Can we have a breakdown of which staff voted for which game?

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014