Posted: Feb 28th 2012 7:53PM (Unverified) said

I miss those good ol' days, gaming communities nowadays are complete crap, it all started with WoW and I fear it will never end. Makes me sad. I miss my old EQ1 guild and the experience we all had. Although I feel even worse for those who started playing MMOs with WoW and never knew the Golden Age of MMOs.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 9:18PM tenfootgoatman said

@(Unverified) The early WoW community wasn't too bad it just got worse as it went along . The problem has spread to other mmos .The trouble is theres a lot more younger players in MMOs these days and many games cater for them more and more which is understandable . But they also really need to think about seperating adults from kids . Can you imagine the hulabaoo that would happen if an online chatroom encouraged children and adults to occupy the same virtual space . Its an accident waiting to happen and mmo developers really need to take this on board . I'm not sure how easy this would be to impliment but where theres a will theres a way .( Also 18+ servers might have the added bonus of a more mature enviroment ) . Sadly I doubt this will happen untill something awful happens because of a preditor or preditors lurking in an mmo and it becomes national news .

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 8:35PM mattaui said

I suppose MMO wars are going to just continue for eternity, much like D&D edition wars. All I can say is that I was a subscriber to UO and EQ both on day one (and just about every other major MMO from there on out) and the idea that there weren't rude jerks or bad communities then is simply wishful thinking. I had a far, far better community experience in WoW than I ever did on UO or EQ. I'm glad for those players who enjoyed them and I don't take anything away from their enjoyment, but I'd like to see them return the favor and realize what worked for them didn't work for other folks.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 10:10PM PhoenixII said

Highly tempted to borrow my dad's macbook and try this server out. I actually played here briefly back in 2004 or so, but I did not stay long because of some real-life time commitments, and by the time I was able to focus on an MMO again, WoW was already out, and I gave that a try.

These emails are pretty inspiring though. I would love to see a time-locked EverQuest.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 11:25PM Miffy said

I play project 1999 as it'll only take the game to Velious just before the game was ruined by Luclin and PoP.

I love the old look of the graphics, they have so much atmosphere and the world feels scary. The new Everquest graphics are just so bland and generic and have no charm to them.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 5:28AM Lionhearted said

@Miffy

Velious is certainly considered the best expansion by a *lot* of players and old timers, but I don't know very many people who'd agree with you that Luclin and PoP "ruined" the game. In fact, the raiding in PoP was every bit as classic -- IMO -- as it was in Velious, in which players invented what we all currently look at as raids (in ways I don't even think devs predicted). PoP took all of that and made it better, and more epic.

Some people scoff at how easy travel became in PoP, but I don't grudge that -- and I say that as a player who had a main that was a druid and made some fair bank on selling ports pre-PoP, and enjoyed having the role of a player who could snag a group in large part because I could get the group to the place they wanted to fight to begin with.

I always kind of wish the stones in PoK had some sort of small and basic quest involved that made it seem as a reward, but even that is a trivial complaint.

Luclin had its faults, IMO, but it was a gorgeous expansion and there were some classic zones it introduced. Plus, I think a lot of people appreciated the extension of the Shissar story, which was always one of the most interesting aspects of EQ lore IMO. Ditto the Combine and the competing human empires that we got to really learn about in that expansion.

To me, the glory days weren't just through the Velious days, but straight threw to PoP. GoD is when things went wrong -- and, in fact, was a blow to the game that I don't think EQ ever *quite* recovered from, even if that wound has at least scarred -- and it was a very slow descent from there, with expansions that were hit or miss and, sometimes, just far too frequent, similar looking and failing at delivering the same kind of epic feel or lore that the first five all enjoyed.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 11:52PM donweel said

I am puttering around in Al'Kabor it is quant. I am playing a couple of Bards, and having a nice time.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 1:59AM pbwilliams said

It's a thing of beauty that the original End Game Dragon is still alive. I have EQMac installed and registered for a time when I have more than a few moments to get into it.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:07AM ApathyCurve said

badgerbadgerbadgerbadger

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 1:52PM Miffy said

Everyone has their own opinion but go over to project 1999 and see how many people are playing there and you'll see lots of people hate those two expansions. That is the community I like to play with as I personally quit with those two expansions. I don't like quit travel, never have done and as soon it gets put into the game I just quit. I did the same with WoW in 2005 when they made it so you could enter battlegrounds from anywhere and then later they did it to dungeons too which killed the world and world PVP.

Lots of people wait around and complain on the forums but I've learnt to vote with my money as a loss of subs is the only thing that gets them to listen.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 4:06PM c0gnit0 said

@Miffy While I respect that you're willing to actually stop playing a game over these changes, unless it happens in big numbers over a specific reason then it won't make that much difference. Playing on a server like project 1999 is different than playing on EQMac for a reason. People play what they feel is better to them and the game. People on Pjt 1999 aren't going to all say they enjoyed those two expansions after Velious for a reason. People on Al'Kabor aren't going to hate on the expansions after Velious either more than likely. The point of these servers is to allow for older content to be experienced in the way it was meant to ORIGINALLY. Saying you talked to Pjt 1999 players and they, as a majority, disliked the content after Velious is like if you talked to any old school mmo'er and asked them if they like the era of gameplay we're in now.

P.s. it's 'learned'

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:19PM BrandeX said

Hah, half of your screenshots are not representative in EQMac, as they don't exist on that server. :)