Posted: Feb 28th 2012 1:21PM (Unverified) said

I rolled a Zabrak in SWG just on looks. I didn't want to be human like most people chose. Also because Darth maul was cool and I loved how Ray Parks made him act and handle himself with the double saber.

I rolled a Zabrak Trooper in honor of my Zabrak in SWG. They both have no hair, just the horns. Of the choices in SWTOR, I still think Zabrak are the best looking.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 1:23PM Lenn said

I thought Darth Maul's horns were a case of mistaken identity. A concept artist, whose name eludes me, had drawn Maul with feathers on his head. Someone else mistook them for horns.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 2:23PM Synik said

According to the new Darth Plagueis novel, Maul's tattoos were given to him shortly after birth from his Nightsister mother, which was a custom of his clan.

Enjoyed the article still. Thanks Larry.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 3:18PM Space Cobra said

Wait....two hearts?!?!

So Zabraks are now Time Lords???

;P

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:33AM Larry Everett said

@Space Cobra

Yes.... which makes no sense why they can interbreed with humans.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 3:47PM NathanAllen said

Zabraks, the Juggalos of the Star Wars Galaxiy.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 4:46PM Tom in VA said

I noticed that the Empire-side Zabraks are much more reddish in SWTOR than the Republic-side zabraks. Is this lore-related or was it arbitrary?

I assumed the game just did this because the redder zabraks looked more sith-like, but I am curious about it. I thought maybe there was some racial/political subdivision among zabraks -- but that still wouldn't explain why the reddish-skinned zabraks all appear to have joined the Empire.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 5:41PM Lenn said

@Tom in VA The character creator actually explains that, sort of.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 5:47PM deadborder said

@Tom in VA

The Red-skinned Zabraks are from a different racial group and different worlds to the more tan-brown skinned Zabraks. In short, the brown ones are in republic space, and the red ones are in Imperial space.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 7:39PM Cyroselle said

@Tom in VA IMO if there's anything that the Lucas franchise loves, it's over-simplified symbology. Brown is good, Red is bad. Not a lot of room for personal choice there. :(

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 12:39AM MattNZ said

I miss my SWG Zabrak character :(

The character customisation in SWG was far superior to what's offered in TOR. Character creation is pretty much cookie cutter in TOR...

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:17AM Oddzball said

Just a correction on your article, but its mostly accurate. You say;

""Darth Maul's tattoos are not typical of a Zabrak. In fact, those markings are actually Sith markings.""

They are actually tatoos from the Nightsisters, which was sort of a witches cult that Darth Maul was born in. His mother then gave him to Palpatine as a baby because she didnt want him enslaved (which the nightsisters tended to do to all their males)

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:32AM Larry Everett said

@Oddzball
There have been so many retcons with Darth Maul's story that it no longer makes any sense. However, the fact remains that the tattoos are Sith in origin versus Iridonian.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:44AM Oddzball said

@Larry Everett

True.

I was going off the most current books which was the recently released Darth Plagieus novel. I had heard there was actually a Darth Maul novel that was out/coming out though.

And i suppose you could be accurate in saying the nightsister tatoos had Sith origin since the nightsisters DO follow their own brand of the Darkside, and i "believe" they were founded by a Sith Sorc who left the sith... Zahnna's apprentice I believe?

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 10:46AM Oddzball said

@Larry Everett

I just wanted to kinda clarify that he had the Tatoos since birth, versus getting them from his right of passage which was common. That sort of makes them even MORE unusual then your common Zabrak markings.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 11:07AM Larry Everett said

@Oddzball

Yes, even though there were pictures from comicbooks with hm being about 5 without tattoos. T-Canon annoys me.

Posted: Feb 29th 2012 12:02PM Oddzball said

@Larry Everett

Booooo comic books. :( Never read em, though I suppose I should.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 8:57PM Drakkonus said

"Darth Maul's tattoos are not typical of a Zabrak. In fact, those markings are actually Sith markings."- Larry Everett

This is an old quote form Star Wars The Clone Wars 3.13, back when they had really cool behind the scene info on Starwars.com. (I can't find is any more from the source):
"When Maul first appeared, his striking striped patterning was quickly assumed to be an example of Sith heritage by many artists and writers. They are not exclusive or even derived from Sith, but are instead the markings of a warrior."- Unknown

Now, my thinking is that some Empire-side Zabrak liked or inherited the tattoos from their sith trained or serving parent(s), clan(s) or ancienter(s). Explaining why their clan or at least family would us them. Of note is that the Twi'leks for Sith Inquisitor get at least four patterns that look suspiciously inspired by Darth Talon's "sith tattoos". So yeah, the tattoos can be sith or at the least, are an aggressive warrior tattoo. That would be a good enough reason that you can't use those tattoos on Republic-side Zabrak, at least until you earn them with the legacy system. :P