Posted: Feb 27th 2012 9:02AM tenfootgoatman said

I don't know a lot about dungeons and dragons apart from playing Baldurs Gate many years ago . When I tried the free trial on this game several years ago it wasn't what I was looking for in an mmo but this has peaked my interest a bit so I may give it another go . I still would have prefered an open world game . Also I don't know why they don't allow Turbine points to be spent across both Lotro and DDO because last I heard although Lotro was doing well DDO was floundering a bit in comparision . Then again that was just hearsay so it may not be accurate . Think I may download it today and see how its going for myself .

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 9:21AM Vesuvium said

@tenfootgoatman
It's probably something to do with licensing. Money they earn from Lotro and money they earn from DDO have to be separate, because D&D and Lord of the Rings licenses are owned by separate companies.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 9:24AM Mikkhail said

They make it sound interesting and tempting ... definately some content that I have fond memories of from the table top ... but in the end, I know better.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:02AM paraLogiki said

I'll be honest, I caved and bought the Collector's Edition. The amount of goodies was very enticing and well done. I also bought the 11,000 Turbine point bundle also, but I decided $80 was enough.

I really respect Turbine for it's payment models, and while I haven't really played DDO a lot, I felt the purchase was a good way to support them, but still receive several useful things for myself.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:03AM paraLogiki said

@paraLogiki "almost bought the 11,000"... doh!

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:12AM Ardwulf said

This expansion goes to 11.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:30AM DevilSei said

You know...
This "Base, Standard" thing is really bugging me. Typically, the "Standard" edition of a game is ALWAYS the base, whether its an MMO or single player game. And even when a game does try to push this to something stupidly absurd (like Call of Duty does), the standard version still comes with all the in-game content, with the extra versions just offering a bunch of physical and digital goodies.

Yet here they are cutting half of the feature list just to offer a "base". I can't figure what the point of it all is, other than the fact they are hoping to coerce people into paying for the $50 version, when you usually see expansion titles released for $40 for most any other game.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:56AM Askgar said

@DevilSei The base version is for any VIPs who just want the bare minimum to get the new quests and epic destinies, they get the other 2 "main" parts for free as part of being a VIP.

The collectors edition is awesome for new and free players, or anyone who's premium but not bought too much of the content, its really going to give me a boost, although I do worry it will put me a bit far ahead of the rest of my static group when my character is getting 25% or even 50% more XP!

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 1:38PM oxlar said

I played DDO when it first came out and didn't like it. However, I checked it out again about 2 months ago and found that it was really fun. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit now. I'm glad they are continuing to put more spit and polish in it.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 2:14PM foomchee said

This game kinda quietly chugs along and gets better and better. The guild I'm in says recruitment is up A LOT so I think a few people are starting to pay attention to DDO due to this upcoming expansion which is great. Solid game for those that like dungeons with traps / puzzles and fairly complex character builds.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 8:56PM donweel said

I am quite temped to go the whole hog. With the 11000 point deal for 40% off you would be set in this game for some time to come. I am not sure I would want to start my Druid at level 7, 4 maybe.