Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:22PM Yog said

For me eve has a large amount of...lets call it potential energy. The game is almost perfect in my opinion and I would be playing it right now if it did one thing - fix bounty hunting and make it viable for solo.

The biggest problem I have with EVE is it's basically only for people who want to play in groups but I like the whole idea of the solo bounty hunter that roams the vastness of space alone looking for his next big payday so he can upgrade his ship and find a better challenge.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:39PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Yog

Well, Solo PvP is possible (or was when I was still playing), but you have to:

a) be very good at it (and have a fair deal of SP to pull it off )
b) be very patient
c) ...fly something replaceable that can fit a cloak without gimping it (i.e a HAC).
d) be very patient

Maybe things have changed, but hunting people solo in Provi used to be kinda fun.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:47PM Ebaon said

@Yog

While I won't claim that solo PvP is easy or quick in Eve, by any means, it is possible. You have to embrace the mindset that the hunt is a big part of the fun, because you'll be hunting more than you'll be fighting, that's for sure.

To get to that point, you just have to get out and do it. Lose ships, have fun, learn - FRAPS all your roams if you can so that you can review them later and try to learn.

While it's not bounty hunting, the loot you get from your kills can add up to a really shiny ship as long as you're not dying too often.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:54PM Ebaon said

@Yog

Ah, here it is - this is one of my favorite videos showing solo PvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWh5LymnRIw&feature=youtu.be

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 7:29PM Brendan Drain said

@Ebaon That video is awesome :D

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 10:53PM (Unverified) said

@Brendan Drain

I really like the part with the 2 manticores, so many people use stealth bombers that really don't know what they're doing (HINT: don't hunt frigs with an SB)

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 12:29AM Yog said

@Ebaon

I dunno...from all that I've seen solo really isn't doable. I mean, even the video you posted that guy wasn't soloing but duoing. He had someone scouting for him. That's the problem with solo...in order to find people you have to gimp your damage output and survivability or you have to do it in groups and specialize. There's even more to it though...it's been a while since I've played so I don't remember everything...if you want to keep your prey there you have to gimp yourself...or if you want the ability to leave even when the other person is trying to disable you you have to gimp yourself.

And at the end of the day the bounty hunter system never worked properly so it's not worth it.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 1:06AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Yog You can manage just fine without a scout a well, you just have to be very patient with your movement, watch signs of ambush ...and learn to escape gatecamps (does cloak+mwd still work?) when they happen (and they do).

It is doable - but it's quite a bit of work, you'll end up living in your ship - often logging in systems, instead of stations, sitting hours and hours cloaked until everyone believes you're afk.. it's a gamestyle for.. special kind of people :-)

I guess wormhole systems might be easier due to lack of local.

But you're right about the bountyhunter theme - that doesn't really work at all.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 2:27AM Cass Lie said

@Yog Solo is definitely possible, but it requires a completely different mindset than than the usual gang skirmish warfare. There is an entire excellent podcast dedicated to it - Bringing Solo Back
I can't recommend it enough. Check also the authors' educational videos.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 10:58AM Calfis said

@Ebaon

Isn't there also a navy domi in the vid so its not really solo at all. Still very good but not solo.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 12:44PM Ebaon said

@Calfis

I guess someone didn't watch very much of the video :D

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 1:06PM Yog said

Might I add that this is another reason I love EVE? If I had made an opinionated statement about any aspect of any other game I would have been flamed to death.

Is that what happened here? Not in the slightest, all of the responses were perfectly civil, well reasoned and actually helpful.

In the end I suppose I should just say that you guys are probably right, solo is possible for a special breed of person in EVE...I'm just not that kind of guy...but I'm also not the kind of guy to enjoy non-solo in EVE so that's why I don't play it. Make solo more accessible for me and I'll be a loyal player because the game is near perfect...but I suppose that might mean the people who currently solo would become alienated.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 1:38PM Kalex716 said

@SgtBaker1234556

This is true, and while it certainly takes a deep understanding of not only combat mechanics, it also takes an understanding of how to apply those skills to make money.

A single lone pilot who flies the right kinds of ships, plays at the right times, and knows enough about a niche can reek havok on entire corporations! Wormhole space is the perfect place to be a singular force, for either law, or disorder depending on how you want to be known.

The reality is, its not easy to do though. Nor should it be IMO. A rogue bounty hunter that plies his trade competantly is, and should be, the thing of legends.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 3:52PM Calfis said

@Ebaon

Guilty, I don't have 17 mins atm :P

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:27PM Ragemaster9999 said

Im really excited for the future of EVE, ccp really has done a complete turn around since incarna was released. I'm currently in a high-sec wardec / griefer corp made primarily of former null sec veterans that simply got tired of the blob. A wardeck overhaul is long needed, and its gonna be interesting to see how things play out. Some things I hope they will do is eliminate alliance hopping to avoid wars and saving towers, while putting limits on how often and how much you can war-deck someone.

I want to see a secure trade window come for deals made between corps/alliances, for example our corp has done several successful ransoms of multiple corps, usually after reinforcing their large DG towers in highsec. The biggest problem with ransoming is it requires trust, if there was a treaty window or somesuch where isk and declarations of war could be dropped at the same time I think carebears would be more trusting of surrendering to PVP corps and or bringing in mercs to balance out the equation. It would be like a contract item exchange but between two corporations instead of two players...

Some other things I want are a general nerf to logistics cruisers, perhaps a dock/jump aggro timer on repping shield/armor, as currently in small gang warfare whoever brings more reps wins.

Guess ill just have to wait and see what they pull out of the hat, anything that nerfs the blob and empowers small gangs is what this game desperately needs imo.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 6:49PM Ebaon said

@Ragemaster9999

I agree about the high security systems and war declarations needing some work. As a mercenary in a very well-respected corporation, this has a large impact on me personally.That's why I'm casting my vote for Alekseyev Karrde. Dude has a great war platform that he's running on, and I'd like to see a lot of his ideas go through. I think it'd be good for eve in general.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 7:19PM Kaahn Stewart said

I think we should all just agree that any gameplay change post Crucible with the new team is "long overdue". And welcome.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 7:20PM Xilmar said

"Nullsec sovereignty will likely be more closely tied to planetary infrastructure". Is that a professional assessment or just a personal half serious prediction? I do hope not.

After the last "lets make warfare better" crash and burn, I do hope they don't mess things up again. Starting with no more station games. I cannot be the only one who got tired of that bs and moved on to null roams. People wonder why low sec is as it is, and that's the reason why and the main thing that needs to be fixed in the whole expansion.

'A war with nothing important at stake and no victory conditions isn't really a war", keeping in mind that tears, boredom, killmails, payback, trolling, challenge, causing corp/alliance-wide panic and seeing members jump ship while their home burns just for lulz are all reasonable (and encouraged in many circles) stakes for an internet spaceship war.

I hope it wasn't hinted that there currently aren't enough reasons for warfare. And also, there are plenty of things the "assumed victims" can do, from doing something about it to blueballing 6 days a week. Besides, anyone that makes themselves a big enough target should have the members, assets and experience to deal with most things that are thrown their way.

Also Inferno doesn't really...fit...

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 8:47PM Pasha said

Nice. But none of their "expansions" brought anything really interesting during last 2 years for EVE players and I've got enough of their empty promises and "soon" attitude and promised myself not to reactivate my multiple accounts until CCP will be able to implement at least a bit functional walking in stations (without shooting, quests. etc. - common halls and some mini-games would suffice) - they promised to implement that almost a year ago.

I hope that will happen sooner than 2018.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 12:14AM Lateris said

The ISK will suck the Dust514 players into Eve Online which is frakking ingenious! Greed is the carrot! :)

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM