Posted: Feb 25th 2012 6:35PM Seffrid said

"This is the cartoon that launched a thousand posts. Well, maybe not a thousand..."

Not a thousand indeed, in fact currently 2390 and that's excluding the deleted ones!

You've covered the regional locking issue, but of course the other main concern to the European players directly impacted by this move is the fact that we are being kicked out of SOE's management after almost 8 years (longer for those playing EQ and SWG etc) and into the arms of a company few have heard of and which is generally described as a very inferior company with dubious business practices such as:-

1. Publishing players full names on an open forum if a payment fails to clear on time,

2. Including in their TOS a provision whereby the account will be deleted (note account, not characters) if it lapses for a certain time (may be deleted after 90 days, will be deleted after a year),

3. A one hour ban is given if you mistype a password twice on login (yes CAPS LOCK, I'm looking at you!).

The company's forums are full of anime kids with the company reps posting in what may only charitably be called broken English.

This is a total disaster, and it pretty well spells the end of EQ2 as we know it, and has terrible omens for the commercial success of Planetside 2 and EQ Next.

Irrespective of what concessions are offered by SOE after the negotiations currently in-hand, the damage has been done and players have cancelled in their droves, guilds have disbanded, and people who haven't touched another game in 8 years or more have discovered WoW, SWTOR and all manner of other diversions. SOE's reputation was poor beforehand, it is now beyond terrible and they will struggle to recover from this.

Moreover, American players are now waking up to the facts that (1) their serversand guilds will be depleted of European players, and (2) if one half of the community can be sold off this week, who is to say their half won't be sold off next week?

The official discussion thread is unique in SOE's history in that there is pretty much not a single supporting opinion posted, and also in that most of the posters have reported cancelling and know other people who have cancelled - most of them of very longstanding loyalty to EQ2 with forum registrations dating back to 2004/05.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 8:40PM eLdritchZ said

• Half a heart
@Seffrid At the broken english concern... would you prefer them to make all their statements in their native language and have some random guy translate them into "PR english"??

I'd rather hear the officials directly instead of half the meaning being lost in translation.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:39PM Derf said

@Seffrid

I know I have cancelled after over 6 years of playing. I was getting annoyed with the marketplace items, the wings just left me shaking my head, but to carve up the community? I understand that this was part of a larger Sony deal, the anger has caught both Sony and ProSiebenSat.1 off-guard. It's too late for me though. I'm not bitter, I've generally enjoyed my time in EQ2, but I can't support anything Sony anymore.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 8:59AM bobfish said

@Seffrid

I don't understand why SOE chose them as a partner, they aren't particularly well experienced, they aren't that big and they have a poor public relations record.

SOE's only likely gain from this deal is increase penetration into Germany, the rest of Europe isn't going to be any more interested or aware of SOE products than they currently are.

Is it really worth all this just to get a few more central European players?

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 6:36PM TheCamical said

• Half a heart
Your section headings are terrible. "Trouble in Paradise" "Domino Falls"? Really?

Did she fall? That is a pretty serious statement. Trouble in paradise? You seem to be reaching really far here. Really reaching. I know the shakeup for the overseas crowd is scary, but it is not a done deal yet. Domino left, and there isn't much of a hint that she has 'fallen' as you infer in your work here. I know we all love a little sensationalism in our news, but this has reached just beyond silly.

This kind of fear-mongering is the same crap we see on television news. Disappointing to see it here.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 7:19PM Ehra said

@TheCamical

These are dominos. People like to stand them upright and line them up in interesting shapes, then knock the first one over so it causes a chain reaction. You might notice that this is also the nickname of the woman who left SoE.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 11:05AM kalipou134 said

@TheCamical

Just pointing out the guy that lives under a rock.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 7:28PM werewood said

Well for me EQ2 is a good game to play for free - better than LotRO, RoM, AoC ... all of which I tried. Until GW2 its a good thing for free. Then the whole ball game is changed.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 12:13AM Daeths said

@werewood Really? i found EQ2s f2p the worst i have ever tried. Nothing against the game its self, but as a non-subbing player you get nothingand less

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 7:59PM Rhazes said

I hope it causes massive amounts of players to quit or even causes the game to be shut down. John Smedbucks is an abomination and is long overdue for a firing. I have no doubt he has already tainted EQNext.

SOE needs a good asskicking like Netflix so it can wake up and realize its customers are important.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 8:52PM Vancha said

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the posts I've seen on massively that address this. One falls off the page and another one pops up. Thank you!

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:13PM Nucleon said

Remember those days when EQ was top dog and every gaming company was grumbling about how it's impossible to knock them down. Well it's been a long time since those days. The folks over at SOE have shown us with game (SWG) after game (EQ2) after game (Vanguard) after game (DCUO) after game (Matrix Online) that they badly lack the design vision and organizational discipline to to execute a solid game.

For as much as we slam Blizzard. Their approach of iterating, and iterating and polishing seems to be a far more successful strategy than a wide portfolio of lackluster, buggy and visionless games.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 10:46PM Neiloch said

@Nucleon They got matrix and vanguard WELL after they were done being developed for release. SWG overhauls were done under LA's order. DCUO is doing quite well actually, it continues to have good content developed for it and any time I log on I see tons of people playing.

EQ2 is basically being used as the guinea pig for EQNext. EVERY new thing you see done with EQ2 at this point is simply a preview of EQNext.

-free to play
-cash shop
- 'beastlord' style combat
-content being sold 'a la carte' instead of traditional expansions
-This europeon deal, no doubt to start relations for EQNext distribution

Essentially what we are seeing now is the last big spurts of 'activity' EQ2 will get from SoE. Once EQNext is rolled out EQ2 will be put into maintenance mode just like EQ1.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 1:13AM Adeptus Enginus said

@Neiloch

I can't speak for Vanguard, but don't make the mistake thinking Matrix's shenanigans weren't SoE's doing. Without going into details, I'm just gonna say that MxO is the perfect example for the saying "SoE hates Gamers".

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:37PM (Unverified) said

Nothing lasts forever because change is eternal.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 2:10AM Graill440 said

Regardless of what fans say or want, regardless of what the devs tell you or say will happen.......one thing makes the MMO market revolve, and that is money.

Money will take precedent over the subscribers wants and will be a priority when it comes time to make choices.

In all instances the subscriber has no option but to quit to prove a point, and the MMO businesses know most subscribers are too weakminded to band together enough to hurt them....most of the time.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 2:22AM edgecrusherO0 said

I'm just paying attention to this now...what a shit poor decision on their part. For every little thing I see SoE do right to take one step forward, they make a massive fuckup and jump backwards.

I miss when they were a respectable company that produced quality games. Now I see them almost as a joke. I have so little hope for EQNext and PS2 at this point : /

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:37AM dudes said

• 1 heart
It can separate families.. or bring them closer together. And healthy competition amongst the MMO family is healthy.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 7:29AM Vancha said

@dudes It won't be healthy in the long run. No MMO success story starts out with "Well first we segregated our communities"...

MMOs work by bringing people together. That's why EVE is the most consistently successful MMO since 2003...Every person who plays that game can play with anyone else who plays it. You'll never meet an EVE player elsewhere and find out you can't play with them online.

I think this is why people are protesting this so much. Not only is it bad for them personally, but it's bad for the game.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:03PM Nucleon said

@Vancha "Most consistently successful mmo since 2003"

Wait what... based on what numbers? WoW's subscriber base is roughly 30x larger (CCP stated in January 2011 they had 360,000 total). Lineage 1 and 2 both boast consistently higher numbers. Even EQ2, Lotro and EQ1 have or had as many subscribers as Eve. Every single one of those games has segregated servers, many by Region as well.

While I do like the concept of one big server, it's a pretty outrageous claim to say that Eve is the most successful MMO since 2003, unless of course "most" means "distinctly middle of the pack that runs way behind Blizzard."