Posted: Feb 25th 2012 10:12AM Wurm said

I think the development hero of tomorrow will be YOU, the fan community.
Just think of Counter Strike and DOTA.
Another hero will be the person/company that are able to make the most accessible and powerful toolkit for a game engine.
So its very simple: the game companies make the tools and the fans make the content.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:58PM (Unverified) said

@Wurm

I agree with you. Most of the best stuff was fan made with existing engines from the companies. Counter Strike had so many people making fan based maps that it was so fun finding great new maps. Same with DOTA. Player made mod that is still going today.

I've also seen lots of creative stuff made by people using Garry's Mod. Just no MMO yet. Someone will have a break through idea. I particularly enjoyed SWG before everyone got Jedi and am looking forward to The Secret World because of the same flexibility in abilities.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:20PM Borick said

@Wurm Agreed.

That's the story of MMO development -- the fans. Most of the successful elements of MMO play are things that the fans either implemented themselves through mods or through clever exploits of the mechanics that the developers gave them.

I think that MMO developers need to understand that once they learn their trade to the point that they think they know which direction a game should go, that should tell them that they've reached a point of disconnect.

Listen to the players. Even if it hurts. Even if it kills. The fans aren't the ones who are wrong, even if they don't know how to express what they want. Producers, developers and their Vision is what %&^%& up games more than anything else.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 10:53AM Pingles said

I hate to say it but I think the future are MMO hybrids. Something that melds a few genres into something different enough to intrigue people.

I am sure we will have a year or two of standard MMO fare but I think the next earth-shaker will be something a bit different.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:02AM Deliverator said

I think Beau..... right?

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:04AM Deliverator said

I think someone will come out with a standardized platform, for instance Google Earth, and the MMOs will become layers or rooms connected to that.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:39AM Saker said

@Deliverator That is a good direction in my opinion to take. I agree.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:21PM Borick said

@Saker It's coming. Minecraft is a good start (I know. Not an MMO).

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:18AM laelgon said

Whoever makes a good console MMO that further expands the playerbase for MMOs will be a hero. I've got no idea what form it would take, but I'd still love to see an MMO that is designed for consoles. My guess is that we'll see some for the next generation.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:24AM Sorithal said

I'd think Trion's been doing a good job with innovating areas outside of gameplay. Namely customer service and speedy content updates. Which is a start in the right direction as they work toward making RIFT more unique as its own MMO. Along with adding on two other MMOs.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:38AM Saker said

I don't believe in, and am a enemy of the "cult of the dev". Part of the problem with this genre (with human culture in general) this way people have of putting other people up on pillars and d@mn-near deifying them . It's ridiculous.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:56PM Kalex716 said

@Saker

IF thats the case, then I wonder if you would agree that the games industry does this the LEAST in terms of other mainstream multimedia industry outlets.

The majority of gamers know extremely little about the talent and process it takes to pull off their favorite games. And the people that are actually well known, are still very approachable. They don't have rock star notoriety, and they don't get their pictures tweeted when they're seen at a cafe for example.

I would bet less than 2% of participants on this site could name five actual design directors at 5 actual game studio's, and know who also actually publishes their games.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:15PM Expendable said

How do you put J. Todd Coleman in the same category as those other guys? His contributions can't even be compared.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:24PM NeverDeath said

Answer:

Hopefully not that doofy lookin' guy.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:35PM Dunraven said

Much to my fathers chagrin I am perusing game development; I have a internship this summer at Jagex and in two years when I start University I will focus on programming and 3D design.

I'm not arrogant enough to say that I plan to be a trend setter...but I am hoping I can have some part in making MMO's that people enjoy.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 7:49AM Deliverator said

@Dunraven
hey, that's awesome! Good luck!

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:49PM Soulstitchmmo said

No contest. It's Arenanet. The entire studio is full of geniuses. What they are doing with Guild Wars 2 is like the God's have looked down at the genre and have seen what WOW has done to it, and have come to show us the light through the gift of Guild Wars 2. As if WOW never happened they are giving us the next evolution of old school MMORPG, and are fixing all the mistakes of the genre in one game.

The greatest challenge of GW2, is going to be topping themselves as they have hit Gold with this title.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 4:07PM Dunraven said

@Soulstitchmmo Suddenly all those Troll post you made over at the SWTOR forums makes perfect sense.

/eyeroll

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 4:59PM Bladerunner83 said

@Soulstitchmmo

LOL, so convincing... You could have just said your an Arenanet mark. The greatest accomplishment for GW2 is being successful, when its released.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 2:32PM (Unverified) said

I see a few ArenaNet supporters, and while I agree for the most part, I don't think one studio is going to be a hero. The team is certainly full of great ideas, though.

I think Red 5 has a lot of potential, too.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014