Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:08PM DevFish said

Incidentally, I was talking to a friend of mine about this not long ago. And then he found out that it was open beta, so I started playing it earlier today. I was amazed to discover that it is actually a lot like the original Starsiege Tribes, that I had so much fun with. It seems like a really solid game, and I think they've done a very good job.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:18PM Joshua Przygocki said

VGTG!

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:05PM TachiFoxy said

@Joshua Przygocki
VGN.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:21PM mattaui said

Looks interesting, though the VIP bundle they're flogging doesn't seem worth it, unless I'm missing something. They make a big deal out of lifetime VIP status, but then in the FAQ it says you get that anyway whenever you buy anything from the store. I guess I need to see what else I can buy with Tribes gold.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:36PM Joshua Przygocki said

@mattaui You can get lifetime VIP just by paying anything currently. I would say it's worth the money though. Those extra unlocks are very nice and open up a TON of possibilities. Plus this is a triple-a title, 30 dollars is definitely worth it.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:21PM KTrell said

VGW
love it!

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:24PM Dumac said

Lots of fun and lots of rage ... With the open beta it looks like a lot of really skilled people joined in. I wouldn't consider myself "good" at the game just yet, but since the open beta patch the game feels considerably harder.

Today I actually uninstalled it after a few bad rage filled matches... tomorrow I will probably reinstall it. This has happened like ten times now since the beta begun. I can't stop playing it. They did a great job with the game.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:38PM Dracones said

The game is far too twitch oriented for my tastes. If feels very "fire in their general direction, hope you hit".

That and most everything being locked really makes you feel like you'll have to grind for content.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:53PM (Unverified) said

@Dracones

"Fire in general direction" and the Spinfuser are not one in the same. :-)

The grind is definitely there and really made me consider getting that VIP pack though.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:54PM Pingles said

Pretty amazing Closed beta. They pretty much JUST redid the Skill system a few weeks ago after several months of beta testing.

I remember telling folks on the forum that there was NO way they would change it this late in the game but they did.

And it's better.

For the folks looking to play Free be aware that you'll be starting with three classes. You'll be able to unlock the others with XP but right now the prices in XP are pretty high, especially since you'll be spending that same XP to upgrade your current class.

Still, for the free player there's nothing stopping you from being VERY good at your class without spending a dime. With some practice you will be out-dueling people, paying or not.

And you'll be playing the same game as the paying folks. There's no differentiation in game.

I am a Tribes 1 and 2 vet and am very pleased with the game. It lacks some of the large-base indoor battles in this version (all flags are outside the bases in the CTF maps) but otherwise I think they've caught the spirit of Tribes very well.

I can't stop playing.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 3:56PM Regault said

• 1 heart
Still no Defend and Destroy.
Still no Snowblind.
Still no reason to play.

Considering the heavy emphasis on the skiers, Planetside 2 will probably be closer to how I played Tribes 1 than Tribes Ascend is.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 5:07PM MetaReal said

Hmm ... downloading right now.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 9:57PM Revrant said

I just couldn't get over the massive grind when I tried it, I don't like that approach with Free To Play, I like it when the choices are purely cosmetic or what have you.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:02AM drunkingamebar said

• 1 heart
This game will please noobs, and vets alike, but I don't think it will for very long. The forums are packed with complaints, and frustration. Hi-Rez doesn't interact with the community at all, some very important game play mechanics are extremely wonky, the grind is as bad, if not worse than a hardcore Asian MMORPG. If you really like one of the free classes you are given at the start, then you might enjoy the game overall; however if you want to unlock a class, and some weapons, the game becomes impossible (unless you pay) even then, you are still stuck grinding 100 to 150 matches for 1 weapon.

I wish it was based more off Starsiege Tribes rather than Tribes 2, but oh well, they based the game off the first failure in the series..

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:33PM Pingles said

@drunkingamebar

Wow. I disagree sir.

Concerning the forums: The game went through MASSIVE changes during the Beta. Just about EVERY major forum complaint was changed in the game including speed caps. HiRez doesn't participate in forum discussions and they shouldn't. In an ironic twist there is a post where HiRez discusses WHY they don't post and a few posts later when they address an issue someone takes it completely out of context and starts ANOTHER complaint thread about a subject that was not even true. They don't post but it's been proven time and time again they read the forums.

The grinding I agree/disagree with. Yes, it's gonna take a lot to unlock a class if you are truly free-playing. There's a major difference, however. You're playing the full game while you're "grinding". In an MMO sense, you're not killing boars so you can get raid gear. You're raiding so you can get raid gear.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:39AM drunkingamebar said

@Pingles

For one the game shouldn't even have speed caps, and hitscan. It just proves Hi-Rez has no idea what Tribes is all about, they still don't. Many complaints on the forum are about just that, HR talks as if they were big fans of the IP, but made a game the only resembles Tribes with stormhammers, and jetpacks. The major changes Hi-Rez made were mostly to make the game more casual friendly, and less pay 2 win. And yes, Hi-Rez should interact on the forums, not the developers personally, but someone who could take note, and relay concerns the fan base has.

You can disagree with me all you want, it's your opinion, but my opinion will be in this thread: "When does the game becomes Tribes?"

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:11PM TachiFoxy said

@drunkingamebar
Um... The game has no speed caps. It had them, but they removed them.
Also, the game only has a few hitscan-weapons, most of them either being range-capped (shotguns) or only made for a specific range (the sniper rifles). I don't see the major projectile weapons like the LAR, AR, SMG and such being hitscan, currently. They have ballistics.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 9:21AM RevWK said

@drunkingamebar

Happened for me within the first two minutes of gameplay when I bagged a flag carrier with my disc launcher. But I've only been playing Tribes since 1998, so what would I know?

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 12:23PM corpusc said

this game is team ONLY right?

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:07PM TachiFoxy said

@corpusc
It had a game-mode called "Rabbit" before the latest patch, which was FFA with flag-holding (whoever held the flag got points), but it's gone since Arena TDM was added.

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM