Posted: Feb 24th 2012 9:21PM toychristopher said

It sounds like they are actually trying to make roles matter, but I'm not sure that is a good idea. I'm still not sure that roles like tank and healer make sense in a comic book themed game.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 10:03PM (Unverified) said

@toychristopher They make sense in a general way. No one would accuse Cyclops of being a tank and Colossus is hardly ranged DPS. Although, Cyclops has taken his lumps for the team and Colossus is known for throwing things, teammates included.

As roles don't restrict power choices only emphasize some powers over others but still allow you to run the gambit of abilities I think it's a good match, especially since the way roles are designed you can still have these great viable build options.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 5:59AM gandales said

@toychristopher

Roles need to influence more the performance. Currently, it is possible to make a tank-healer with good dps., which might sounds awesome but it deters people from teaming and devs from making more creative boss encounters.
Yes, in comics it does not sounds right the threat system, but it does not make sense in fantasy lores either. However, it is a game mechanic that has shown its value on so many games.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 7:42PM CitizenH said

@(Unverified)

Who is the healer on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest heroes?
For that matter name one 'healer' from the Justice League(Unlimited even) or Superfriends animated series.

You may find one or two examples of characters with healing powers, but really, dedicated healers do not really exist in comics.

Nor do tanks. The majority of fights do not involve Superman drawing all the heat while Green Lantern stays on the sidelines and picks them off from afar.Comic fights don't work like that. Real fights don't work like that.

In comics, toughest guys also tend to be the hardest hitting. The Hulk is not a knight so weighed down by his heavy plate armor that he can't swing his sword properly. Trinity and traditional classes do not work for every genre and shouldn't be used in every genre, just because other MMOs are based around them.

Tank and spank and the holy trinity do not exist in comics and are a severely outdated contrivance from fantasy gaming.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:29AM (Unverified) said

"Like many MMOs, Champions Online is at its heart a game of numbers."

Do we play the system?

Do do we play the game?

Hmmmm.....

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 2:17AM (Unverified) said

I havent played CO in ages, but the problem was there in STO recently as well...
but I hope they're fixing the 900 horribly worded tooltips and such as well, both in CO and STO it was like playing a game in beta sometimes...

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:46PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

They reworked the tooltips 4 - 6 months ago. Still not perfect, but improved the accuracy as well as removing a lot of the redundant coding garbage.

It drove me nuts too, trying to figure out what they were trying to say sometimes.

~V

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 7:49AM TacoBrain said

And yet no Behind the Mask? I know Patrick is working on Lol's Column but I don't want to lose my weekly fun!Especially with all the changes happening right now...

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:46PM Zuljundwumn said

yay, soft cap for presence !
My toon has something like 450 PRE, so I guess I need to re-do my whole itemization.
...
By running the same content I did a hundred times.
...
No thanks.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:23PM (Unverified) said

@Zuljundwumn Except that we're seeing new team content being developed and on PTS right now.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 5:57AM Zuljundwumn said

@(Unverified)
Sorry to be carefull with my expectation, but champs is the only game where new content is released and NOT played by players.
Remember King of the hill ?
It wasn't too long ago.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 8:41PM toychristopher said

I agree and wish they had developed a different style game play for champions. Aggro can still exist, but most comic book characters "tank" by avoiding damage and by switching off distracting the enemy-- or by disabling the enemy entirely with their powers.

I think there are a lot of creative boss encounters that could be created without the holy trinity-- and teams could still be absolutely necessary even if you don't have 1 healer and 1 tank.