Posted: Feb 25th 2012 8:41AM Drannos said

@Drannos

It's not just about the orbital station nonsense (though that was a huge annoyance that definitely factored into my decision). It's that they clearly intend for a player's ship to fill some type of central role (story-wise or as a gateway to other content, e.g. space combat) and yet they make it ridiculously difficult to return there on a regular basis.

There are only be 5 or so unique space combat missions (another annoyance - reskinned missions shared by the two factions??? c'mon.) and the Commendation system shows us that BioWare clearly designed this with the "dailies" mechanic front-and-center of their thinking. And yet to get to it, I have to take the galaxy's slowest transports from one end of the map to another every time I want to "jump in" and play. What about the Star Wars galaxy prevents my ship from coming TO ME whenever I want? "Extended gameplay", otherwise known as Obvious Timesink.

It's not that it's not prioritized - I get that they only have so many people and so many hours in a week. It's that they don't even consider it something that needs fixing - Amateur Hour.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:24AM Joaquin Crowe said

@Drannos yes, it's called a time sink. Running though all those loading screens really bloats your "play" time. It's not fun for the player, but allows Bioware to say things like "400 hours of content!"

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:30AM Budukahn said

@Drannos

I agree. It's a pain in the ass if I'm on any planet in the game and suddenly the guild wants to do Battle For Ilum. First I have to get back to my ship, then I have to fly the ship to Illum, then I have to load Ilum and then finally the instance. I don't mind travelling, but the bulk of my time is being spent in loading screens and nobody can pretend that's going to be fun.

I didn't like the way Warcrafts dungeon finder made the world feel smaller, but in all honesty, it's infinetly preferable in a theme park MMO like Star Wars to the annoyance of lengthy load times.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 12:27AM (Unverified) said

I'll just be happy when the 'hard core raiders/elitist/mathematically obsessed/fun free gamers leave for TERA, and GW2.

Then those of us who love the story, art, and fun of this game can play in piece.

....hopefully....soon..... >_<

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:27AM Joaquin Crowe said

@(Unverified) With that kind of drop in sub numbers I'm sure EA will continue to fund content development out of the goodness of their heart. Corporations are like that.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 5:44PM tangerineknight said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)
'fun free'. really. you slay me. but if you like being charged 15 bucks every month to basically have a bedtime story read to you, guess you'd be right.

Posted: Feb 28th 2012 6:08AM NinjaApacHe said

@(Unverified)

Totally agreed!

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:42AM edgecrusherO0 said

There's a lot of solid questions and answers in there, good stuff. I'm glad to see they're addressing so many of the issues and being forthright and honest about it (for the most part). That and more community/developer interaction is always great.

But it really does display how many pretty significant issues there were at launch, and still remain. This game could have easily used another 2-3 months of polish before it was released and it wouldn't have had to deal with anywhere near the number of issues it's dealing with today.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 1:57AM Quarlo said

Wait, we're gonna get one of these every week? Not sure I can come up with enough synonyms for 'Poorly Designed Game' on a weekly basis.

Patch 1.2 is the game breaker for me. If it doesn't blow my socks off, no amount of 'upcoming game updates' promises will keep me in this game.

Which is a shame, since I geeked out for this game for the longest time.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 3:03AM Samael said

The hate level for this game is enormous. I am enjoying it none the less.

I am sure everyone has legitimate concerns. But for some reason I do trust these guys. Call me a BioDrone if you will. But seriously, this is the only developer that I can get behind.

Maybe they are becoming a bit too corporate for my tastes. But old habits die hard, I guess. I love them for everything that they have produced. Haven't played DA2 so I don't know how that will hold up. I am naive, and would like to believe them.

To each their own I guess. As long as they don't add a cash shop I am good.

Other than that, I hope GW2 and TSW (which I won't play due to the cash shop) are good. Really looking forward to them. I hope GW2 is a huge improvement of GW1. As much as GW1 was great, I never could get into it. But I am a hopeful. That is all you can be these days. Publishers are ruining good developers.

/ignore rant

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 6:41PM Tom in VA said

@Samael

Well I also like the game, Samael, but I do think it needs a lot of tweaking and polish. It's a diamond in the rough that I hope gets sorted out soon.

Bioware's Q&A promises here to improve travel, crafting, and the UI are encouraging and can't come soon enough, imo.

I do find it odd, however, that they they didn't see the travel issue a mile away. All it takes is one or two rounds of planet-to-planet "click/run-run-run/loading screen/click-click/run-run-run/loading screen" to make me want to stick a fork in my eyes and actually miss the stupidly long (but far less aggravating) flight paths of WoW.

The prospect of traveling from one planet to another in SWTOR is really depressing to contemplate. I frankly think you should be able to call up your ship's star map from any location and use it to teleport directly to any planet's spaceport that you've visited ("unlocked") at least once.

Or at the very least least, for pity sake, Bioware, make the Fleet Pass a round-trip ticket. We're not talking rocket science here.

SWTOR is a pretty fun game, and it'll be my MMO of choice for the next few months. But they are going to have to do a lot to keep me in this game once GW2 releases. Telling me, as they did here, that the (one-way) Fleet Pass is enough, well, that kind of (smug) complacency is not going to keep me subscribing for the long term.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 3:16AM Wic said

• 1 heart
Its too late now, the rats have already left the sinking ship its just the hardcore sailors left not seeing them little rodents lower the safety boats.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 6:03AM Critical Mass said

I have not played SWTOR, but I think that Instead of removing the superflous stages that people has to arrive to in order to get to their destination, the devs should consider adding features and options that allows a player to fast travel to any point inbetween with a purpose. Meaning that there would then be something particulary meaningful to do for the player at each location.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 6:27AM Valentina said

I'm seriously getting sick of this "SWTOR SUK, BIOWARE SUK, WE MAD NEW GAME SUCCESSFUL WE MAKE LOOK BAD CUZ R FAV GAMEZ HAZ NO PLAYER, AND LAZY DEVELOPERS."

It seriously comes across that way to anyone who's actually been playing SW:TOR, the game is excellent and is suffering from almost no real game issues. If you're on the fence about the game because of these idiot's who troll this website you should just try it out for yourself and see what the rest of us are talking about. Also, anyone can say they've played it and are "angry and rage quitting because of issues", I've seen more times then not when people say that they're not really playing the game and usually haven't even tried it. So. Over. it.

On the upside, I still think the 1st Q&A they did was the best one, the last one wasn't that interesting to me but answered lot's of what was on the players mind. This one is a little better...Def wanna see what comes up next round and I wonder how they'll keep this going on a weekly basis....

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 8:57AM Drannos said

@Valentina

If we CRITISIZE the Q&A postings, it's because they are the primary means by which we gauge what BioWare is doing to fix (and, yes, improve in some cases) the service for which WE ARE PAYING. It's not "just a Q&A". It's a statement of intent. Intent that is funded with my dollars.

And they're not answering most of the questions. Read them - most of the "answers" are "no intention", or "we're discussing it but can't comment".

And to say the game "is suffering from almost no real game issues" is a plain misstatement - for many of us there are critically flawed mechanics and design decisions, ranging from outright broken class quests down to small "quality of life" issues. You see a "rabid SW:TOR troll", I see paying customers who expected more from a top-tier developer such as BioWare.

I won't ever criticize PLAYERS for enjoying the game - there's a good amount there to love, and I enjoyed my time. But I *will* criticize the COMPANY that makes poor decisions and fails to acknowledge or address them.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:06AM Celtar said

--- Oh look, more rabid SW:TOR trolls. What a surprise!! It's pretty pathetic that people can find the time to bash even a Q&A which by all means is NOT something BioWare HAS to do. Name one company of a major release that has made communication such a major thing for them, and taken the time to answer so many questions? As far as my experience goes, NONE. Valentina ---

Trion, and they did it without evading questions, blowing a lot of smoke up players backsides. Bioware has had some of the worst BS communication that I've seen in the last twenty years online. Funcom's SNAFU that was the AoC launch and the months after it ranks as well.

Personally I'm sick of the rabid fanboy SWTOR Trolls who won't allow criticism based on real issues. That you blindly can say that the game is excellent and suffering from no real issues, says a lot about you. Specially if you pull off the blinders and look at the sheer amount of posts around the internet on various gaming sites, blogs, and Biowares forums, that point out these issues.

Are you telling me seriously that all those critical remarks are all just bloatware hatred of this IP or game? Really? The delusion and lack of rational conversation just boggles my mind.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 2:23PM Deadalon said

@Celtar

Q&A is all Bioware can do. Its same as Mythic did with Warhammer for the first few months - talk talk talk and then when EA cut the funds it all went to hell.

PPL know how this works now with EA.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 8:10AM Celtar said

-&A is all Bioware can do. Its same as Mythic did with Warhammer for the first few months - talk talk talk and then when EA cut the funds it all went to hell.

PPL know how this works now with EA.-- Deadalon

Did you read my post? the first paragraph marked by the - and ending with Valentina is a quote from that poster. The second, third and fourth paragraphs are my reply to Valetina, being critical of the posters rant that we must all be hater for being critical of Bioware/EA for all the issues.

Part of why I am slowly giving up on using massively as reading and posting mmo-rpg site of choice is due to this crappy down rate system and bad posting system.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 9:49AM Seare said

Another article about TOR that is full of hate comments. To those of you who have actually played TOR and hated it; move on. Its one thing to post very specific reasons why you didn't like the game (lag on Illium, my personal pet peeve), its another to post generic hate comments that are nothing but rage, that can be found on any MMO ever released (this game sux and wasn't ready for release. It will fail!).

I've played many MMOs since I left SWG and for various reasons, none of them have kept me playing longer than a few months. When Massively posts articles about those games, I rarely read them and I certainly don't rage post about how much I hate that game and how no one should play them. Some of those games were bad, but none of them screwed me so bad that I was willing to crusade against them. It's a waist of time and energy IMHO. I have moved on.

To those of you who are on the fence about buying this game... Don't listen to me nor the negative commenters. Listen to someone you trust who shares your likes and dislikes in games. Otherwise, just try it yourself and make your own judgement. I hope you like it, but if you don't, move on. There are plenty of other offerings out there and yet to come.

This troll war is getting ridiculous and I honestly apologize for letting my emotions get the better of me and feeding into it. That's all I have to say.

Posted: Feb 25th 2012 11:43AM freebase said

Anyone who thought ship customization was coming before the first expansion just wasn't being realistic.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014