Posted: Feb 23rd 2012 9:42PM h4ngedm4n said

I tried out the mission system, and think it does an excellent job of streamlining the new player experience into bite-sized chunks. I wish it were around when I first started, the item rewards really help jump start gear progression. It is a definite plus there.

As a veteran player though, many of the low rank missions are downright boring and unskippable.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 2:49AM Everfaust said

I gave this game a try the moment I found out Ian, the creator of Machall was the lead artist, though the game was interesting... I found the lack of overall direction a turn off.

My play sessions would consist of logging in.. going to the market, buying/selling energy and checking my auctions ~ would then solo-play 5-8 maps *(30-45 mins) ~ go back to market and setup new auctions from any decent drops I got... then logging out.

Rinse & Repeat ~ Every 24 hours.

Tho the energy system was a neat Idea.. it just became an obnoxious restriction if you ever wanted to craft new weapons/armor *(as you wouldn't be able to sell any of the "good stuff" on the AH.. thus limiting how many maps you could play.

For those of you new or that haven't played ~
You get 100 Energy ~ every 24 hours.
NO this cannot accumulate overtime, once you hit 100 ~ it stops.

You have a 2nd Energy tank with an unlimited cap ~ this is your overflow tank, but daily energy can't be stored here. Only energy you get from the cash shop or bought off the market from other players using in game money can be stored in this tank.

When you craft, it takes not only normal mats but also energy.. depending on the power level of the item *(tier). this can cost anywhere from 20 energy to upwards of 700 energy per craft.

This has lead some to say that the game sells power.. but really, it comes down to the player base/economy. *(due to being able to buy this same energy from other players).

Overall, it's a fun distraction ta play a few times a week... but not really something you can dedicate any real amount of time to playing.. atleast not without being required to buy more energy via the cash shop.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 6:42AM h4ngedm4n said

@Everfaust
You do know about the elevator pass? It exists for people who are frustrated by energy and prefer a subscription feel.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 4:37PM Pars18 said

@ShivanSwordsman

Wait a minute, you dislike Spiral Knights energy system, but endorse Dragon's Nest?

Dragon Nest has an abysmal inventory and item system which all but forces you to pony up money from the start, just so have room to store basic things in the game.

The ingame armor rarely/if ever changes your appearance, and the cash shop sells power with stat-enhancing gear.

Really. Both games have their strengths and weakness, but calling one more "Korean" than the other is a bit a farce.

Posted: Feb 26th 2012 8:56AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Pars18

And yet, I can dungeon whenever I want, however I want, and I have plenty of inventory area... if I delete crappy items I don't need. I also endorse Rusty Hearts, for it's rich story, fleshed out characters, and crazy skills. Spiral Knights is a nice little game, but the energy system just kills it, and I'm not paying monthly because they're FORCING me into it, otherwise I can't craft and play the game.

Anyone playing this game may as well playing Final Fantasy XIV, they're both playing ripoffs stick in Korea Town that try to milk you dry with stamina systems. I will never endorse a game with stamina systems. It's a backwards system that tries to tell you how long you get to play your game, or disguise itself as "free to play", when it's just another "pay us monthly or you can't play at all HAHAHAHAHAHA" bullcrapfest like the majority of MMO games

If you wanna play it, fine. I have plenty of alternatives that leaves me without having to touch such trite.

Posted: Feb 27th 2012 7:16PM Pars18 said

@ShivanSwordsman

Rusty Hearts is neither here nor there, but it also features a stamina system for experience points, when I played in the closed beta, and an extremely limited storage system.

Condemning Spiral Knights for its energy costs, which are easily circumnavigated, is like splitting hairs. It curbs the amount of gold selling (which is prominent in Dragon Nest) and provides a service to both styles of play for p2p and f2p customers.

It limits pace of play rather than quality of play, unlike other games.

And did you even play Final Fantasy XIV? The stamina system was the least of its problems. FFXIV was unplayable because it was a unfinished, broken mess of a game that couldnt even display proper damage numbers during combat, much less offer services for free.

Trite, indeed.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 9:01AM EvilCartographer said

I really enjoyed this game, but the lack of diversity at launch really killed it for me. Every time I played, it felt like I was fighting the exact same set of six enemies, in the exact same set of three or four environments, over and over. I wouldn't have been opposed to spending cash on purchasing an energy starter pack if I had thought that the game would have kept me interested long enough to justify the investment.

I might give it a second look now that they have added PvP and the above mentioned missino system.

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 9:01AM EvilCartographer said

@EvilCartographer
*mission

Posted: Feb 24th 2012 10:43AM koolaroo said

Wow three rings updating one of their games! If this game devopls anything like puzzle pirates though you can expect them to start barely updating it pretty soon.