Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:37AM DevFish said

Rift is one of those games I'm not sure will appeal to the southeast-Asian market or not. I guess it's a western MMO, but it certainly has eastern influences.
It will be exciting to see how they do.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:38AM avaloner said

I hope RIFT continues to do well. Its not the bigist MMO around but it certainly has done alot in its first year of release. I am looking forward to TRIONS post apocalyptic MMO Defiance.

IF they can take all they have learnt from RIFTS development and launch then they might have a winning MMO on their hands when Defiance releases. But I guess post apocaliptica will never be as popular as fantasy.

I hope RIFT does well in this market.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:33PM Cyroselle said

@avaloner Depends on what the apocalypse looks like.

From my observations, if you surround the players with brown, grey, dreary and death for much of their play experience, especially in the 1-20 progression, then a lot of people will get depressed and discouraged and simply not want to log on anymore. But if you break it up a little, or instead of having a blasted wasteland, instead have ruins overgrown with greenery, people will stick around that area longer, or be more encouraged to play.

From what I've seen of Defiance, Earth hasn't become a blasted, badlands-like waste, rather it's still quite green and lush, but it's been colonized and domestic structures have been knocked down or (like in the Golden Gate Bridge's case) superseded by alien technology.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:03AM Softserve said

I really enjoy the game. It does a lot very well and I'm impressed by the team's consistent additions to the game. They make a lot of other developers look lazy.

I hope it continues to do well. I'd recommend the new trial setup to anyone that has played it long ago or has yet to play it before... Unlike WOW's, the "play to level 20" mechanic is available even to previous subscribers. I was happy to see that.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:35AM Tedstery said

@Softserve

I'm a previous sub of WoW and I was allowed to play Free to Level 20.

your point is invalid.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:41PM Cyroselle said

@Tedstery Were you able to free play to 20 using the same account?

I accidentally let my sub for RIFT run out last week and was surprised that when I logged in I had a special message telling me I could not access my level 50 character on a trial account. ... so what Softserve might mean, is that as a previous subscriber you can use the same account.

Though to be honest, I haven't tried the WoW free trial, and hadn't played since Cataclysm hit, so I really don't know how they handle that. I'll be happy to get new information though. :D

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:19AM Dunraven said

Yeah I just saw a video reviews last night talking about how RIFT failed..granted it isn't my cup of tea but I wouldn't cal a healthy population and rapid global expansion a failure. of course it was coming from a GW2 Zealot so....grain of salt I guess.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:25AM Rialle said

@Dunraven

There are people calling SWTOR a failure even though it has over 1,000,000 subs.

I guess if an MMO doesn't to put Blizzard out of business, it is a total failure.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:29AM fallwind said

@Dunraven

I know I wish I could have a product that failed so hard I made $100,000,000 in my first year alone.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:44PM Cyroselle said

@Dunraven I'm excited about that game too, but you know, in a way I just can't wait till release so that it will become like any other game and the zealots will (hopefully) just shut up. :D

And make way for the new crop of zealots for Game X.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:35PM Cyroselle said

@Professer I was talking with someone on another games forum site, and he was saying that in Asia each character on an account is counted as an additional 'subscription'... so the number of subscriptions as we define them might be a little off.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I bet SE Asia will eat up in game marriage.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 2:07PM NeverDeath said

@Professer

I can't understand this statement. Warhammer had so many problems that if each one were the size of a gumball they would total the circumference of the sun. RIFT by comparison is infinitely better in terms of stability, presentation, systems design, content, and just about everything else that determines level of quality rather than features. I was a major proponent of WAR and had high hopes for it, and RIFT was a sleeper hit to me - but I have no problem saying that comparing Warhammer to RIFT is like comparing chuck steak to ribeye. There just isn't any contest.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 4:17PM Sorithal said

Yay for Trion! It's really surprising how a company that most people knew nothing about only a year or so ago has made giant strides since then. Hopefully they continue to improve.

Only problem I see is that they might hit a point some day down the road where all this success could bite them in the rear, similar to how Blizzard has become. Yeah, Blizzard is still succeeding and is the MMO giant and all that, but they pretty much tossed aside their original fans in order to get to where they are now. Which is pretty much showing in their drop of subscriptions and such as people grow tired of their nonsense. *shrug*

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 2:20AM (Unverified) said

Aside from the koreans and chinese.. philippines (filipinos) are one of the biggest mmo gaming community. name them, yup rift, wow, eve online and dcuo.etc, they're everywhere. but filipinos also are known hackers ( lots of IT graduates who can hack really a system). so be aware. :)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 2:26AM (Unverified) said

In one of the RIFT server, if you see a guild named theyre mostly from Philippines. so yeah! bring the numbers more.