Posted: Feb 21st 2012 5:55PM VikingGamer said

It seems like several people are simply assuming that the NA conversion to F2P is going to be just like the EU version and that you will be encouraged to sub to get a not broken game ala LOTRO. Or maybe people simply don't realize that EU Aion is completely separate now.

This is not the case. Go to the website and read before assuming how the new F2P will work. NA Aion is going with the L2 "truly free" model. There will not be any subbing to get the full deal. They are going with the idea that you can play it all the way though for free but if you want conveniences (bag space), cosmetic items (fufu dresses) or short cuts (leveling boosts) then you buy them from the item shop.

This is a much much better system than than what the EU got in my opinion though I question if items that overcome the RNG are fair in this regard. Still, it is at least close.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 6:13PM Xocolatl said

I had always wanted to give Aion a try, but I'm stuck in Asia now so it's not like I can feasibly play anything from the US region anyway.
But since it's free, I should at least give it a good go. I will gladly be the cannon fodder for veterans. Seems like that's what I do best anyway.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 6:21PM Ozewa said

The promo video they released was full of laughs. A whole bunch of "I see what you did there" moments.

So I have one question, when do they start rallying the troops? Sounds like a fun event and I want to get started.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 7:42PM nhat said

After getting burned by Runes of Magic, I have been looking for another MMO and this could be the one if it get F2P in the US too.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:04PM Ghostspeaker said

Funny thing is I was planning on renewing my sub once 3.0 hit. Guess I don't have to now. :D

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:11PM Amlin said

• Half a heart
Just wanna throw a heads up for carebears wanting to get into Aion, it's open pvp so if you got issues with that you probably might just stay away.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:34PM Ghostspeaker said

@Amlin

It's semi-open PvP. It's factional PvP, and players don't have completely open access to the other faction's zones. Only the Abyss is truly shared by both factions. The only time you can go to the other faction's zones is if a rift happens to open up, and even those only open between zones of the same level so you're much less likely to get ganked by someone way above your own level. The game also warns you when they're opening in your zone so you can avoid them if you really want to. Not to say griefing doesn't ever happen, but it's pretty rare in my experience. I played regularly for about a year and I never had an issue.

That said, the endgame is PvPvE, so if you really hate PvP with the fiery passion of a thousand suns then yeah, it's probably not the game for you. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of PvP in general, but I found Aion's fun and engaging. It's miles better than most games', for sure.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:17PM Squidsnthings said

This game is one of the most unpleasant games I have ever played.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2012 2:03PM willard said

@Squidsnthings Couldn't agree more,I became so irritated putting time into this game and walking away frustrated - nothing would bring me back.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 10:25PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Few corrections.

1. It isn't Free to Play in Europe yet. Got another week for that.
2. 3.0 has been announced for AMERICA. Europe has to wait unless GameForge have inherited compulsive lying from NCSoft, which I hope is not the case.
3. NCSoft said categorically that they had no plans for F2P just a couple of weeks ago. They have proven that they are compulsive liars and have no respect for their playerbase. If I was a shareholder, I'd be serving Taek Jin Kim with a suit asap.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 12:44AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Point me to the post where they said lied to you and said they had no plans for F2P. My guess is that you can't.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 4:52AM Arcline said

@(Unverified)

I'm pretty sure what they said (when Aion F2P EU was announced) was that they had no plans for F2P YET, and that they were looking into the model. They never said that they would never go F2P.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 8:38AM nhat said

@Arcline Yup, don't know where the topic creator come up with that stuff. That's why he's not registered since he knows he's making crap up.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 8:36AM nhat said

So basically this is Buy To Play now since the free trial only goes to 40? Hey I'm down with that!

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 10:25AM Arcline said

@nhat

When they transition to F2P, it'll be free to download and play. You won't have to pay for the game at all.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 11:17AM SharonC said

I played Aion for less than a year. I stopped playing even before my subscription ran out because I got tired of two BIG problems with the game: ambushes by much higher level characters and bots making it impossible to get the materials needed for crafting. I loved the crafting, the flying, gathering, and all the general PvE. I didn't mind the Abyss area being PvP too much, although it did get old when I was trying to finish a quest and could not do it due to constant ambushes by players that were much higher level than me.

However, the so-called PvEvP areas in the higher areas were almost impossible to play in once they merged the Asian servers in. It had been that you could easily finish quests and gather materials at certain times of day. After that, the ganking was constant. I found I couldn't even get more than a short run from a protected area without getting ambushed by a group of 6 players. That drove me out of the game.

The fact that it will soon be F2P, in my opinion, means that a lot of the kiddies who think it is fun to go out and ambush every player they can will join the game. To me, this means I will not be returning to Aion, ever.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 3:38PM Naru now in 3D said

Aion will be the BEST f2p game out there :)

I've had a few issues with the game by the time I hit max level, but overall my journey to the end of the game filled with tons of fun, great BGM, stunning art direction, and good times!

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM