Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:05AM DarkWalker said

Just a tidbit about the downed mode: it might be unique among MMOs, but not in multiplayer games. Borderlands have almost the same system - the player is defeated, he stays on the ground trying to kill a mob to rally, and team members can also rally the downed player.

This is not bad in any way; it's still a cool concept for any multiplayer game. It's just that the downed mode was not an ANet invention.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:20PM DevilSei said

@DarkWalker
I don't remember them ever claiming they invented it or were the first to use the idea of a down-but-not-out mode.
Heck Borderlands isn't the first to experiment with it. CoD always had a perk/deathstreak that knocked you on your back, and all you could do was wait til you recovered or until someone brought you back up.

But! From what I can remember, this is the first time a DbnO mode has given a player a self-rez that didn't require killing an enemy, which does make there's a little unique.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 1:57PM Cyclone Jack said

@DarkWalker

You are correct, and in their early interviews they specifically note games like Borderlands which use the downed mechanic. So they have never stated they came up with it and have given credit where credit is due.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2012 3:21AM (Unverified) said

@DarkWalker still got to give them some credit for trying something new in the MMO space.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Aww, I was hoping for a beta schedule :(

Oh well, all of those tweaks sound pretty great. "Just remember that not every leap is what it seems, and occasionally, you have to have a little faith" that excites me so much! It sounds like exploring in GW2 is going to be pretty great! Just yesterday in Yogscast third Norn starting area video they randomly discovered an underwater passage that lead to a cave filled with mobs! I cannot wait to have adventures in Tyria!

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:38AM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

I remember reading an old blog post where Anet talked about an area where you could slowly climb a mountain side by jumping from ledge to ledge. Once you reached the top there was a hole in the ground you could jump into which would lead to a hidden bandit cave, with possible treasure at the end.

Stuff like that is so cool :)

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:45AM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

Oops, looks like I misremembered the blog post. Sort of. Here it is :p

"Player exploration of Guild Wars 2 will be encouraged and rewarded, just as it was in the original Guild Wars. It’s up to the environment team to fill our game with memorable locations worthy of that exploration. A series of broken stone columns turns out to be a jumping puzzle to reach a hidden cave mouth overgrown with vines. The caved-in floor of a ruined fort drops you down several stories into a flooded subbasement haunted by the cursed ghosts of pirates. A hatch in the basement of a farmhouse conceals a tunnel to the cavern hideout of a bandit gang."

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:05PM drunkingamebar said

@Ehra

Even stuff that isn't 100% innovation, is stuff that has worked for years, and years, stuff people loved, but lost as games "advanced". Anet isn't reinventing the wheel as much as they are adding new spokes, that make the wheel perform better than it ever has.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:17PM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

This game reminds me of EQ1 in spirit. There is that exploration feel to this world that has been missing from pretty much every MMO after WOW.

This game should be good.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:19PM Ehra said

@Yellowdancer

I think Rift did the exploration thing pretty well too. All of those puzzles hidden around the world were really cool to stumble upon.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:17AM Grumms said

Guild Wars 2 - I love you.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:19AM Clemalum07 said

Sounds cool.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:49AM Repopulation said

@Clemalum07 agreed glad they are changing it some. It would suck to sit there and slowly die with nothing to kill.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:09PM drunkingamebar said

@Repopulation

I think we can agree that dying sucks at any rate.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:14PM Repopulation said

@drunkingamebar Yes it does. which is why this seems like a nice addition. Gives you a glimmer of hope.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:22PM drunkingamebar said

@Repopulation

I'm not sure when it was, when the GW2 announcement video came out, but that is when I only had a glimmer of hope. Observation thus far says I will be either really happy, or to gotdamn picky for my own good!

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 11:28AM DemonXaphan said

I see Arenanet being innovative that they are bringing fun creative mechanics already out there with what they know and building a great mmo. I do like how they are changing the outlook of how an mmo from past mmo's look and play-style.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:05PM Xo1o said

the part about the compass functionality is proof that this UI deserves a Nobel price and an Oscar together

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:08PM DemonXaphan said

Also the level of detail from the press videos are beyond what i have imagined and i can't wait to see a city walk thru of Rata Sum.

Posted: Feb 21st 2012 12:16PM DeadlyAccurate said

I get into theme park MMOs for about 3 weeks and then pop out of them again, even the really good ones. But this one, I can see playing far longer. They sound like they're doing so many good things that simply refine the whole system. It sounds like they understand that "making it more fun" doesn't mean "simplifying to the point of boredom."

I hope it holds up in the end.